cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused and Frustrated

Fancy_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all..I am looking to purchase a camper to full time live in. I will be a solo female, not mechanically inclined.(but will have to learn) What would you suggest as a type of camper and how long in length. I'm leaning towards a Class C but not sure what is the best option. My father will be joining me on occasions as well. I feel by having to purchase a pickup and a 5th wheel trailer will be just as expensive as buying a Class C. Your thoughts?
Thanking you in advance.
28 REPLIES 28

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I understand what you are going through. I have been full timing for 14 years so I have a lot of experience to share with you if you want to call me.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Fancy_Free
Explorer
Explorer
That is true. I would have two vehicles then. That's costly. I need a new vehicle anyway, so might as well try to find a pickup and a 5th wheel or a spacious TT.
Thank you.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a toad requires adequate motorhome ability. Some are rated for 3500 pounds max while others are 5000 or more.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fancy Free wrote:
Also was going to tow a car behind. Do you call it a "toad"?

Yeah but then you have to maintain and service two vehicles not one. I am a diehard towable fan so keep that in mind...heh
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Fancy_Free
Explorer
Explorer

Fancy_Free
Explorer
Explorer

Fancy_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses. I have been camping since I was younger so am familiar with camping. I will be traveling and visiting family and friends across the USA but not all the time. More on the road. So will be staying at campgrounds and boondocking. I have not rented anything as of yet. I have looked at all types gearing towards 29' or below. 24' is a little too small.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn’t be “Confused and Frustrated.” This should be an exciting time of learning and purchasing an RV which will enable you to see all of North America. An attitude change is appropriate.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you get a class C then you'll be driving that every time you want a loaf of bread and leaving your campground behind. A truck and a Travel Trailer(TT) (have no idea why you'd want a fifth wheel for one person) then you can drive the truck whenever you go for day trips.
Also check out the room in a Class C of modest size with a the same length TT. It's probably too late for RV shows but visit a big RV dealer and just wander around and look in the various types of RVs. A standard gas pickup will haul a TT of moderate size easily no need for a big truck.
Finally RV salesmen lie worse than car dealers, pick what you want and then come here for advice. Just assume every word out of the salesman's mouth is a lie, once you sign the paperwork they don't care what happens to you.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
One of the primary reasons for a Class C, B or A over a 5th wheel is the ability to climb into the driver's seat and drive away from trouble without ever having to go outside or hitch up. Class C rigs drive a bit more like a car than either A or B, which you might also find helpful. In addition, there are Cs that are smaller than As and Bs.

I too would suggest renting a C from somebody like CruiseAmerica for a week so you get some experience before you put real money into buying.

I also agree that your needs will differ depending on travel plans, your job(s), pets, and how much "stuff" you want to have with you.

There are single people who find something as short as 17 or 18 feet perfectly acceptable, and others who feel pinched in a 35 footer.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much experience do you have with camping? Why do you want to chance from your current normal to a new normal? Will you be traveling or just sitting? What kind of budget do you have available to pay for the high cost of camping at sites less than a year? More details will help everyone give you better answers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you rented a C for a week? That will give you an idea on size.
Have you ever driven a truck with a fifth wheel? Do that before you buy in the approximate size that you found acceptable in the C.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ray on u tube channel Love Your RV just posted a chat about the pros n cons of truck n trailer vs motorhome. Some good info.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
when you say live in full time, do you mean regularly traveling from place to place or just being in one place for months at a time?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited