cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting Trailer Home

mike102
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all the wife and i are wanting to do the winters south and can really go anytime but the one thing that i am worried about is if something was to happen to me how would i get our stuff home, i had a heart attack 4 years ago and that is always on my mine beaning out and no way for the wife to get the trailer home is there insurance company's that cover that or would one have to hire someone.thanks
2015 Crossroads sunset trail ST32RL
2000 Dodge 2500 V10 excab short bed
20 REPLIES 20

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, FMCA stands for Family MOTOR Coach Association. Good point.

Does Escapees offer anything similar for non-motorized owners?
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem that FMCA/Assist is limited to a Motorhome and may not include Travel Trailer or Fifth wheels.

You can be traveling in a motorhome, car, plane, ship, or motorcycle to be eligible for this benefit.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
You can hire people toil drive the trailer home. I would make a list of people your wife can call in case something happens.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
If you full time, isn't home where the RV is?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We're all for both of you to know how to drive it along with the other things needed. We've personally seen how this can make it a very easy transition.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
SkyMed will get you and your RV home. Also applies when you are traveling without your RV.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
The man is now in his 70's and I am in my 50's. We plan to RV fulltime for up to 2 years and then out. I don't drive and am not really interested in learning.

Did my research regarding insurance and ensured that a rider will be included that gets the trailer and car back to our home base if anything happens to to the driver. The cost will be about 40 dollars extra per year via a 4A rated insurance company. That extra money also includes living and travel expenses.

I wasn't happy with most of the RV and RV medical insurance insurance companies policies (Loopholes R Us) I saw and had one written up to my specs.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Cripes, darsben - you're right.

I wonder if anyone at FMCA has ever looked into that with Seven Corners.
It's his Super Power!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:
If the doctor released him from hospital with instructions to not drive, wouldn't that fulfill the "incapable" aspect?

between A and B is the word "AND" which means he would have to fit both criteria
Good Sam on the other hand states "
We will return Your automobile, motorcycle, non-commercial
truck or RV to Your Permanent Primary Residence or place of
rental if:

1. We approved transporting You to Your Permanent Primary
Residence under either the Emergency Medical Evacuation,
Transportation After Stabilization or, Return of Deceased
Remains benefits; or
2. You have not been transported under the benefits listed
above but Your documented medical emergency prevents
You from driving the RV/vehicle."
NOTICE "OR"
small word big difference
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
If the doctor released him from hospital with instructions to not drive, wouldn't that fulfill the "incapable" aspect?
It's his Super Power!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skymed has a 90 day waiting period for benefits so be careful that you are covered before you leave

FMCA ASSIST will not help your wife get the trailer home unless;
a) The member has been transported under either the โ€œemergency medical evacuation/repatriationโ€ or โ€œreturn of mortal remainsโ€ benefits; and
b) no one in the memberโ€™s traveling party is capable of driving, or proficient and competent to drive, the memberโ€™s vehicle. The vehicle must be in good condition and capable of being safely driven on the highway in compliance with local laws.
SO if you go in a hospital with a problem and are released but cannot drive FMCA will not help you.
Worse comes to worse you put the trailer up for sale at a dealer and get your butski home in the vehicle and not worry about the trailer. You are letting worries stop you from enjoyment. I had my first heart attack at age 36 I am 66. I gotta die somewhere might as well be where I am enjoying myself. I boondock in the desert for up to 2 weeks.

If you are really concerned buy something already on a lot in a park you enjoy.
There are tons of quality RV'S for rent in the SouthWest already in nice parks for snowbirds and I am sure in Florida as well.
Pick an area rent a RV on site and explore
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
FMCA has Travel Assist.

and

Good Sam offers two levels of same.

Other entites likely offer similar stuff.

I agree 100% with the program offered with FMCA. Go to their website and join as the membership also has other beneficial perks.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
We subscribe to SKYMED.com never have needed them YET but good insurance, I had a stroke a few years ago and am diagnosed with emphysema so the insurance helps us relax.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We have made an agreement with a couple of close RVing friends that we would help each other if this ever happens to any of us.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara