cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you made upgrades to your camper?

thecampingman
Explorer
Explorer
My McKenzie is a mid range unit with some top end features, some were downright cheesy.

My camper was plumbed with pex tubing which was great, but they used plastic fittings instead of brass so with the movement the fittings are starting to break. We recently had one break behind the shower. So we decided to upgrade the absolutely crummy shower with a Delta with single lever control. It took me a day and a half but what an improvement!
So far we've changed out the Norcold fridge for a Samsung, added a big flat screen TV and bought a better mattress.
We still want to install full extension drawer slides in the bedroom and pull out the carpet for all laminate flooring.

What kind of improvements have you made to your RV?
'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock
11 REPLIES 11

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I told myself I'd live in it for a year before I make any significant changes. However, as I've said before, my MH is a monument to the previous owners neglect, thus nearly anything I do to it is an upgrade.

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I've made a few upgrades, backup lights, 14" wheels and tires to replace the 13s that came on it, a power jack, rear view camera it's on all the time works like a rear view mirror, kill switch for the 12 volt and I guess the last thing would be a rear rack custom made for hauling our blue boy (rolling septic tank) oh yeah I almost forgot a second friction anti sway unit and digital temperature gauges on the outside of the fridge so we know the inside temperature with out having to open it. I love to tinker so I'm sure there will be other things in the future. The gal that lives across the street told her husband that I'm always messing with it and if I don't stop I'll break it. Well that will give me something else to do.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

Boonedocks
Explorer
Explorer
Added adjustable shelves in most every cabinet, a couple fixed shelves in the upper part of bays, hardwired an autoformer, a Winegaard Travler, Wifi Ranger with Ubiquity Bullet.
2003 Country Coach Intrigue towing 2006 Ford Focus. Follow our full timing adventures at The BooneDocks

5rdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see............
Added shelves on the wall beside each recliner,
Added shelves on each side of bed,
Replaced original antenna with a Jack antenna,
Upgraded to flat screen TV's in living and bed rooms,
Added cabinet doors to utilize space gained with flat screens,
Added interior switch to turn water heater on and off in electric mode,
Added light switches next to each recliner for reading lights,
Added indirect accent lighting and greenery around the top of kitchen cabinets,
........ all I can think of at the moment.
DW: Jean
DH: Steve
K9: TJ
Towmotor: '13 Chevy 3500HD DRW Duramax/Allison
Fiver: '13 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
thecampingman wrote:
What kind of improvements have you made to your RV?

Well:h Let's see.:h We paid it off several years ago. Thats bout it!!!

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
For me the significant upgrade was getting rid of the Jensen antenna and installing the Jack antenna and Surelock system. The other additions have been minor (replacing landing pads. adding basement storage compartment door braces to hold open the lids, install a start capacitor on my A/C unit, replace inside lighting with LEDs, etc.).

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve kept the inside of our fiver the same as we bought it, but have changed to Mor/ryde Independent Suspension System, Kodiak Disk Brakes, and added a air hitch. Our road system put lotโ€™s of stress on a RV.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot the Max-air vent covers, hitch installed on back of trailer to pull the boat.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I've made several, starting with a full-sized queen mattress in place of the short queen that came in it. I've added a backup camera; a bidet; and moved two cupboard door catches to where they should have been in the first place, to allow the original equipment baskets to actually slide out as THEY were supposed to; a Max-air cover over the existing roof vent and a Vortex fan in the bathroom. Next up is replacing the radio/CD/clock with a unit that actually marks time in reasonable measure with the rest of the planet and interfaces with the iPod instead of having to drag CDs around (and will hopefully pick up radio stations further away than line-of-sight).

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! It may not be a huge one to look at but for me my hubby couldn't have done anything any better for me.

We hated. Hated! The kitchen drawers. My hubby took the old ones out and put in two new ones with full extension glides. Now we have drawers that are the full depth of the cupboard. So the drawers fit in and didn't need handles he put "touch and open" glides. When a door was put in front you can't see them.

There are hubby's as good as mine but none any better!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yaa, I just made an upgrade ... I upgraded the entire camper! Just took delivery of our new Outback 3 days ago! This is a 2013 model with 3 slides, the television that slides up and down along the back full window, and has the electronics for TV, DVD, Bluetooth, MDI (satellite), Iphone technology, you name it, outside speakers.

So far, we hung a spring loaded shower bar across the bed to attach 2 clip on fans, and we had the dealership install the Max-Air style vent covers on the 3 roof vents. Also purchased that $320 surge protector ... and oh ... 2 brand new outside folding chairs.

I suppose you can't do a better "upgrade" than this.

Actually, I don't consider this an "upgrade". It's It's just "new and different"!