cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance on storage units

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
A little background: we made a quick decision to RV full time. House sold MUCH faster than we thought. I have had 2 surgeries since we sold 1 1/2 yrs ago and am having another surgery June 7. In the last 1 1/2 yrs we have rented a room from our good friend and our renter's insurance covered the storage unit. Had planned on clearing them out this summer but that's not going to happen. SO...my question....do any of you full timers have storage units and if so, how do you insure them...or do you? Our friend is getting married and moving....so what we've been doing is no longer an option.

thank you in advance.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend
12 REPLIES 12

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Easier to get rid of the wife. Actually, if I got rid of all her stuff, I would get rid of her also.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice is to get rid of the 'stuff' you have in that unit. Sell it, give it away, etc. It is costing you $$$ to store stuff. Be truly free and get rid of that stuff.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
Have a solid inventory of what is stored. Video as much of it as you can, this is very important for any big value items. Art, firearms, antique anything. The insurance through any major carrier is inexpensive, make sure the insured amount will cover a total loss. Loses are usually fire/flood total loss, or break in. (Happened to us). I would only store in a 24/7 monitored facilities, with high res video and storage. Or better yet on site presence with active patrol.

If there is a possibility that the storage unit could flood, ask specifically if any policy you're considering covers flood damage. Most commercial policies don't. In this case you'd need to look into a National Flood Insurance Program "contents" policy available through commercial insurance companies but backed by the federal government.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV insurance is with National General. Our insurance broker is BancorpSouth out of Nacogdoches, TX - we use the office they rent at the Escapees HQ in Livingston, TX. There are at least five other insurance brokers who are listed as Escapees Commercial members - in several states other than Texas - which offer full-timer insurance.

One of those is Miller RV Insurance, Lake Oswego, OR.

Our 'full-timer' insurance requires that we do not own a physical residence property anywhere.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Our full-timer RV insurance has an option for contents of a storage unit - which we chose to use for coverage.
where do you get full-time RV insurance?
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Our full-timer RV insurance has an option for contents of a storage unit - which we chose to use for coverage.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

Which insurance?

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We had/have a problem with storage rental insurance. We do not currently have a home and are on the road full time for a few months. Our previous homeowners insurance will not cover our stuff in storage as we have no address. (mailbox center will not work)
We bought insurance from U-Haul where it is stored for a high price for limited coverage. We are just hoping it will be safe they have a good security system. I tried other insurance companies and got the same info.

jesseannie

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Have a solid inventory of what is stored. Video as much of it as you can, this is very important for any big value items. Art, firearms, antique anything. The insurance through any major carrier is inexpensive, make sure the insured amount will cover a total loss. Loses are usually fire/flood total loss, or break in. (Happened to us). I would only store in a 24/7 monitored facilities, with high res video and storage. Or better yet on site presence with active patrol.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
az is correct and in CA, it is a state mandate. Pretty good idea to buy it at the Storage Company when you move in to your unit.
Where ever I go, there I am!

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Just started full timing this month. The storage facility makes us pay some dollar amount for insurance each month. In addition, our Progressive insurance also provides coverage.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
A LOT of full-timers have storage units. In our case, our RV (a fifth wheel) is covered on our USAA auto policy. In addition, USAA wrote a renters' policy for us to cover our personal effects in the RV which also covers the things we left in our storage unit. I don't know if other insurance companies will do the same - and the insurance laws vary by state (we are domiciled in Texas).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015