Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Living fulltime in your RV could become illegal

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
Living fulltime in your RV could become illegal
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy
28 REPLIES 28

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:
A bit behind the times... The initial rule was proposed in October, 2014. The issue was muddy language trying to differentiate the larger park model trailers from manufactured housing. During the latter half of February, the language was being cleaned up and a new rule constructed. According to the NRVDA, the new rule will resolve the issues and clarify the definitions of an RV vs. manufactured housing (and will restore park model trailers to RV status). The Excapees RV Club has been advocating for RVers and keeping its members informed on this issue. It's not time to hit the panic button.

Rob

Yes you are partly right. This was first brought up by that idiot RV Blogger (I will spare you his name here) when he read this proposed "Law" which in fact is NOT a law at all but a rule making exercise, and misunderstood the entire thrust of the language...which was to EXEMPT RV's from the rule making.

Escapees unfortunately are not a force to be reckoned with in Washington, however any voice is appreciated and a good thing, but it was in fact the RVIA that is the big dog in lobbying against rule making and legislation that adversely affects RV's.

But your are right. There is Nothing to worry about. So no the sky is not falling.

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Read it on the internet so it must be true.... NOT.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, nothing is going to come of this for the recreational RV.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Read the proposal folks....

Some RVs in recent years exceed the 400 sq ft threshold to be considered a "recreational vehicle" rather than a "manufactured home."

A manufactured home is built to higher standards than an RV including wind load standards etc and is intended for permanent residence. Building an RV to those standards would likely be exorbitantly expensive and very heavy.

The proposal is to have the builder of a HUD-rule-exempt RV _PLACE A STICKER_ in the unit to inform a prospective buyer that it's not the same as a manufactured house.
-jbh-

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Any time a YouTube vid claims to be the truth, it's time to look a bit further. Read the proposal and you'll find it concerns the classification of larger park models, and whether they should meet the standards set for RVs, or the more stringent HUD rules that apply to manufactured housing. It has nothing to do with people who full time.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
The worst that could possibly come out of this.

1. States will no longer issue a drivers license to a P.O. Box, forcing some type of bricks and mortar residence.
2. RV parks will have to limit the number of nights you stay.

Doubt any of this will happen.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The Escapees RV Club has been involved with RVers advocacy successfully in the past on various issues and they have posted this document on HUD's website:

https://www.escapees.com/images/pdfs/Housing_and_Urban_Development_Letter_HUD.pdf
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you just love youtube where anyone can say anything and it is believed?! No where in the proposed rule change does it make living in an RV illegal!!!!!! It does better define the difference between a RV and manufactured home, and basically targets park model RV built to RV standards rather than manufactured housing standards. Here is the proposed rule change for your reading pleasure:

https://www.regulations.gov/?Daily=on#!documentDetail;D=HUD-2016-0013-0001

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe people should learn how to critically read the actual documents before going off half-cocked. Really, the whole issue was discussed on other forums and Escapees did lobbying to make sure the language was cleaned up.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Another example of people going ballistic without researching it for themselves.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
GoPackGo wrote:
I just watched the video, but have not read the proposed reg, but I do not see where passage of this reg would be the end of full timing. What it looks like to me is changes to manufacturing standards.

Exactly........

Much ado about nothing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you "Second Chance" it does seem, people will believe just about everything they read on the web, instead of researching it further.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
ata3001 -

Potatoe - Potato. All I'm saying is that part of the money I pay throughout the year for 'rent' goes towards paying state, federal, county, AND city taxes WHICH THEY WOULD NOT GET IF I DID NOT STAY THERE.

If 200 campers stay at Resort A in county A during a year, and 100 stay at Resort B in county B, then County A will collect twice as much tax revenue as County B, all other things being equal.

I pay part of the taxes assessed against the business property. His total taxes are not based on just his family's direct consumption. His total taxes are based on the amount of electricity and water consumed by that resort/cg. The resort/cg property taxes are based on the land value, etc. and I pay part of that. Part of my 'rent' pays water taxes, electricity taxes, sewer taxes, fire and police, etc. Taxes collected would be incrementally less if I did not choose to stay there.

Last year I stayed at a CG in Goodlettsville, TN. It's right next door to Nashville. Which city got taxes based on my stay of 1 week ?

Are homeowners the only ones who pay taxes ? Do the police and fire departments get funded totally by homeowners ? No. Do apartment dwellers pay city, county taxes ? Of course they do. Just not directly. But you can bet that part of their rent check goes towards everything that a homeowner is assessed for.

Full timers pay federal taxes. They pay fuel taxes (for a good time, just look where those taxes go or don't go). They may pay state income taxes. We pay sales tax everywhere we go. We buy hunting and fishing licenses.

Do you not think that the state of Florida gets a HUGE boost in income AND TAXES due to the annual snowbird migration ?

It is ridiculous to say I don't pay my fair share of just about ANY tax.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
So was fear of the camera the reason for the speaker wearing a sidearm? Not sure what message the sidearm sends or how to interpret the action.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.