cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a home in TX and another related Q

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any good websites or publications that lists RV lots for sale? While I intend to roam, I do want a "home base". Texas would be my first choice, for a myriad of reasons. But my Bing/Google Fu must be weak, because I'm not finding anything.

Along those same lines, I visited the Terlingua area last summer and loved its remoteness. Would purchasing a lot there and leaving it basically unimproved be sufficient to let me claim residency? I was thinking you had to have utilities for some reason.

Thanks in advance for the input!
18 REPLIES 18

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
was_butnotnow wrote:

Ok got it. But it is the county in the state that you have declared your domicile.

Read my original blog on this.

Also, from Recent Guidance About Marketplace Residency Requirement and Special Enrollment Period When Moving . . .

My husband and I are retired and spend 6 months of the year in Florida. Can we get a special enrollment opportunity to enroll in a new plan when we move to Florida, even though we’ll only be there for half the year?

Yes. You have the “intent to reside” in Florida for six months, which the marketplace does not consider a “temporary absence” from your home state. Because you will be there for at least an “entire season or other long period of time,” you are eligible to enroll in Florida under a permanent move special enrollment period. You will also qualify for a SEP when you move back to your home state in the spring.

However, before you do anything, contact the ACA and reference the Health & Human Services FAQ. They may not be aware of it.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
was_butnotnow wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
was_butnotnow wrote:
If you are not 65 yet you will have trouble finding Ins that covers you wherever you travel but only in your domicile state.

It depends. Health insurance through the ACA is based on where you spend your time, not necessarily your domicile. For example, if your domicile is SD, but you spends winter in FL, then you would probably qualify for a FL ACA plan while you're in FL.

I beg to differ we have been there and done that out of SD. ACA is based on your legal domicile state.

See http://www.rv-dreams.com/health-insurance.html

Yes, it is true. RV-Dreams blog is out of date. See . . .

Recent Guidance About Marketplace Residency Requirement and Special Enrollment Period When Moving

and

Health & Human Services SEP FAQ

was_butnotnow wrote:

ACA is based on your legal domicile state.

Your ACA plan is determined by county, not by state.

Ok got it. But it is the county in the state that you have declared your domicile.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
From... Health & Human Services SEP FAQ
Q3. What does “intends to reside” mean?
For the purposes of § 155.305(a),”intends to reside” means that an applicant has a present intent
to reside where he or she is living, and intends to remain in the Exchange service area where he
or she is seeking coverage.

Individuals visiting an Exchange service area for a transitory purpose, for example, to attend to a
business matter, obtain medical care, or for personal pleasure, do not have a present intent to
reside, and do not meet the residency requirement for Marketplace coverage for the Marketplace
service area they are visiting.

I think we all should have universal health care. Medicare for all but what can Ya do.

Still to me looks like if you don't have the intent to move to another state and be there for several months You are bound to the plan you got in your domicile state or county. In ay case, you have to go and apply for the waver.
Stay healthy out there.

Hitchitch.com

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
was_butnotnow wrote:
If you are not 65 yet you will have trouble finding Ins that covers you wherever you travel but only in your domicile state.

It depends. Health insurance through the ACA is based on where you spend your time, not necessarily your domicile. For example, if your domicile is SD, but you spends winter in FL, then you would probably qualify for a FL ACA plan while you're in FL.[/quot]
Got it
My husband and I are retired and spend 6 months of the year in Florida. Can we get a special enrollment opportunity to enroll in a new plan when we move to Florida, even though we’ll only be there for half the year?

Yes. You have the “intent to reside” in Florida for six months, which the marketplace does not consider a “temporary absence” from your home state. Because you will be there for at least an “entire season or other long periods of time,” you are eligible to enroll in Florida under a permanent move special enrollment period. You will also qualify for a SEP when you move back to your home state in the spring.
BUT Fulltimers what are they to do when moving each day, week, month when traveling?

Hitchitch.com

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
was_butnotnow wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
was_butnotnow wrote:

It depends. Health insurance through the ACA is based on where you spend your time, not necessarily your domicile. For example, if your domicile is SD, but you spends winter in FL, then you would probably qualify for a FL ACA plan while you're in FL.

I beg to differ we have been there and done that out of SD. ACA is based on your legal domicile state.

Yes, it is true. RV-Dreams blog is out of date. See . . .

Recent Guidance About Marketplace Residency Requirement and Special Enrollment Period When Moving

and

Health & Human Services SEP FAQ

was_butnotnow wrote:

ACA is based on your legal domicile state.

Your ACA plan is determined by county, not by state.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
was_butnotnow wrote:

Hitchitch.com

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
was_butnotnow wrote:

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
When looking on where to call your domicile make sure you can get health Ins in that state that you may need. If you are not 65 yet you will have trouble finding Ins that covers you wherever you travel but only in your domicile state.
RV Dreams has a good article on health Ins at http://www.rv-dreams.com/health-insurance.html

Hitchitch.com

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
AllenTC2 wrote:
Would purchasing a lot there and leaving it basically unimproved be sufficient to let me claim residency? I was thinking you had to have utilities for some reason.

Like others have said, you don't have to buy a house in TX to claim domicile.

As you probably already know, what makes SD, TX, and FL attractive domicile choices is that each has no state taxes, makes it relatively easy for full time RVers, and is supported by the Escapees Mail Forwarding service.

I would guess that most full timers who choose SD, TX, or FL as domiciles have no real intention of living (in a conventional sense) in any of these states. In fact many may intend to spend as little time as possible.

This is the full timer's "dirty little secret".

Sometimes it's easy to spot on forums . . . as when someone says they are "moving" (their quotes) to another state to get better healthcare or something else. They have no intention of actually moving or living there. They'll just do the minimum to change domicile and get the particular advantages of that state.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Explorer II
Explorer II
Property taxes in Texas are fairly high
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I wanted to become a TX resident BEFORE I actually retire and start RVing. Figure I could save some on my income taxes, etc. Also, when I actually pull the trigger and get the RV (I am still waffling between Class As or a TT) I could have it registered/plated in TX, which is less expensive than here in WV.

Plus, if/when I decide/am forced to quit driving around, I'll have a place to fall back to. I'm familiar with the Escapees, and that does sound like a pretty good deal. I just wanted something more....I dunno, permanent, if that makes sense.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Escapees in Livingston TX. They can help you become a resident without having to buy anything unless you want to. This group is made up of full-timers and they have worked with TX lawmakers to make it easy to become a legal resident even though you may not even be in TX much.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No need to buy anything. I have been a TX "resident" for years but I am only in TX when that happens to be part of my plan. I just renewed my registration while in NJ by going on line, checking a box that says I am not currently in TX and paid the bill. When I do get back to TX I go get it inspected ($7) and I am good to go. I am an Escapee as mentioned above and my residence address is Livingston, TX despite the fact I just passed through there for a couple of days once.

X-2
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No purchase necessary! Just join Escapees and setup mail account. When you get to TX you will be able to get registered right away. You will need a TX drivers license and if the RV is 26,000# or heavier you will need to take the test for a class B license and take the RV on a test drive. Not difficult at all but it sometimes takes awhile to get an appointment to take the test.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?