cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medicare For Full Timers

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm planning to full time in an RV again starting next Spring and I am covered by Medicare now. Last time I had no health insurance (I've usually been healthy and I've been 'naked' before). I've been on a Medicare Advantage plan (MA) which reduced my Part B premium by about $79 a month. They've canceled that plan so next year (now, starting Oct 15) I need to find a new one. I see some other MA plans that give me a Part B refund and I would like to start off with one of those. I plan to hit the road at the end of March and I don't know what to do then.

Will an MA plan offer any coverage while I'm traveling? I've heard that regular Medicare would cover me anywhere in the US. If I go MA would HMO or PPO work better? I will probably spend the Summer in one general area up North and then travel back South in the Fall, so I think I could switch my MA plan to a different zip code in the Summer and then again in the Winter, but part of the time I will be on the road traveling. How would you do this?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
35 REPLIES 35

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
arhayes wrote:
Medicare plans avbl are state specific, so important you closely review MA plans in your state. In our case, TX does not offer any that are in network nationwide, so we have used Part G plans which have worked out very well. Costs more, but I need no referrals and the coverage is excellent. We’ve been FT for 8 yrs (3 while covered under Medicare) and it has worked for us. Choose wisely.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at some plans on eHealthInsurance and they have a toll free number to speak to a licensed insurance agent. I'm going to try to call them tomorrow and get their input too. Maybe I will price a few of those Part G plans and investigate how they travel.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Medicare plans avbl are state specific, so important you closely review MA plans in your state. In our case, TX does not offer any that are in network nationwide, so we have used Part G plans which have worked out very well. Costs more, but I need no referrals and the coverage is excellent. We’ve been FT for 8 yrs (3 while covered under Medicare) and it has worked for us. Choose wisely.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also went Medicare plus AARP United Healthcare Plan F. Plan F is no longer available for new subscribers but I would recommend the most comprehensive plan available. Avoid any managed care/HMO/PPO plans especially if you do a lot of travel. You certainly don't want to be stuck with a plan that requires restrictions and referrals.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You have received the best information from the above post with the exception of AARP.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ask an independent insurance agent.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before extensive RV travel years ago I checked into this and decided to use original Medicare with AARP supplemental plan F and now plan N and i did receive full coverage for everything throughout the western USA and no or small copays and NO NEED FOR REFERRALS FROM A PCP.

I also have full medical coverage to include dental and eyecare from the Veterans Health Care System but perfer private medical for serious issues such as cataract surgery, etc.

My research showed that MA plans were to limited and restricted for nationwide full time travel.