cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and looking to Yuma for winter in sm trl

travlintx
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sort of forced into my situation and rather new to RVing. I'm seeking a warm weather area for Dec, Jan, Feb and maybe Mar. and I'm on a budget. I'll boondock over half the days but will need to hook up perhaps every 5-7 days throughout each month. BUT it appears I'm faced with a "minimum of 30 days" stay during the winter months at many RV spots.

I'm looking for input on my situation. CA is out of the question for now. So, southern AZ appears to be my focus. I'm not considering the deep south or FL either. Help!
10 REPLIES 10

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Southern Mesa RV Park on the south side of Yuma, about 8- miles out of town has a 1st timer special of $240 mo plus electric. It's cement pads and full-hookups. They have a laundry and a pool , bathrooms, showers, rec room, card room. They did have activities, but with current health issues I don't know about now. Your plan of boondocking and using parks may be more expensive than taking advantage of a special like this. When we were there, you could keep the special rate as long as you stayed. Once you left - poof.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Bouse, AZ. several parks, short term spaces, Lots of free BLM, water and waste pay to play in parks, propane $ 2.25 Farmers Market for produce every Fri., monthly rates $250-350 + power. The camps without clubhouses and activity are less.
The con -- cell service, wifi poor you need a booster, groceries, fuel, in Parker or Quartsite. 25-30 mi. away.
We had fun there last winter for 2 months with our side xside exploring the desert.
Jan & feb are highest rates, add dec, march, monthly is cheaper.
There is a place to set up by someones house with full hookups for &150/ mo. + power $1500/ yr acouple blocks west of the highway from the gas station. On Google earth you should find it.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the BLM land and have a blast.Bluegrass in Blythe,other events at the Fairgrounds also.Yuma is ok,but the Q is an experience like none other.Big tent,swap meets are something else.The flea market is a blast to me.Look on line and go to an area that has the dump stations.Long way from Ga but have been there on I think four times.Check out the surrounding area.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not stay at Quartzite if you paid me.
Yuma has lots of parks you can stay it. All different kinds. I stayed in one where the average age of the residents was maybe 80. They had all kinds of activities like luaus, card games pool parties. It was a fun atmosphere but kind of like being in an odd movie.

There are some great places to wander in southern AZ. The good ones shall remain nameless.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Q is a very transient area as in daily. Call some of the many CGs in the city and ask about 1 day stay. They want to be full as the peak season is rather short. It's about RV shows and sales plus everything under the sun is for sale while much of Yuma is focused on longer term stays.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Community Alumni
Not applicable
travlintx wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
Have you thought about staying a few miles north in Quartzsite? Plenty of BLM land for boondocking, and I believe BLM offers long term areas where you can stay for several months and have access to water, sewer and trash for a total of $180.

I don't know if I'm replying correctly but this BLM option which provides water, sewer, etc. for $180 sounds appealing. Know where I can get more detail? I'll do some research on this. Thx!

What I'm also REALLY interested in is to learn if there are RV camps that do NOT require a 30 day minimum stay.

You can start here: La Posa Long Term Visitor Area

You will also find plenty of RV parks in Quartzsite where you can stay for one night if that's all you want, provided there is availability.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
travlintx wrote:
I'm sort of forced into my situation and rather new to RVing. I'm seeking a warm weather area for Dec, Jan, Feb and maybe Mar. and I'm on a budget. I'll boondock over half the days but will need to hook up perhaps every 5-7 days throughout each month. BUT it appears I'm faced with a "minimum of 30 days" stay during the winter months at many RV spots.

I'm looking for input on my situation. CA is out of the question for now. So, southern AZ appears to be my focus. I'm not considering the deep south or FL either. Help!

Look for smaller and older RV parks a few miles away from Yuma. Yuma is a popular area for "snow Birders" which allows many of the RV parks to set up limitations like " min. of 30" days

travlintx
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Have you thought about staying a few miles north in Quartzsite? Plenty of BLM land for boondocking, and I believe BLM offers long term areas where you can stay for several months and have access to water, sewer and trash for a total of $180.

I don't know if I'm replying correctly but this BLM option which provides water, sewer, etc. for $180 sounds appealing. Know where I can get more detail? I'll do some research on this. Thx!

What I'm also REALLY interested in is to learn if there are RV camps that do NOT require a 30 day minimum stay.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quartzsite is popular and has BLM options some with community sewer. Water available in town.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Community Alumni
Not applicable