cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with a question or two about full time RVing

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, before I start with a bunch of questions, just want to say that I have posted in other sections of this forum and the replies and suggestions were very helpful. Currently, my wife and I do not own an RV, but, have been thinking about a Class C or towing a TH, for the motorcycle.

We plan to retire in 2017 and I can't help but wonder what it would be like to sell the house, invest in a diesel pickup, buy an appropriate TH, and travel across the US, and seeing where we would like to settle down in our retirement years.

So here goes with the questions for those who may have done this; how did it go? What would you suggest for someone who is thinking about this adventure? What are the pros and cons? Do you regret doing this, or was it the adventure of a lifetime?

We can spend up to 120k for a rig, I hope that is enough. We really do not need anymore than something in the mid 30s range for the TH. Is that big enough? There is just the two of us and our labrador, who will be with us the entire time.

Dont't know if this is too vague a post, or what, but, any suggestions, experiences you can share, would be appreciated. Regards, Cycler.
20 REPLIES 20

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add our experience.

We retired fairly young about 15 years ago and started traveling fairly extensively. Much of that travel was in a 27" class C, usually towing a Jeep Wrangler. Over 13 years, we put 140,000 miles on that rig, including several multi-month trips. Early on my wife wanted to consider full-timing, but I liked to have a home base with a workshop, etc. We had a really wonderful home in central California, but did not have any strong emotional ties to it. On a long trip in 2104 we had a general agenda of places to visit before we had to get home to release our house sitters. During that trip, we were frustrated not to be able to really explore in depth areas we liked. It sort of dawned on us that we spending a fair expense maintaining a house for house sitters. By this time we knew we liked being together in a small space, and we really needed very little "stuff" to live, and I was ready to give up the headache and cost of maintaining a house. Talking to full-timers, we frequently heard the recommendation not to put anything in storage. We found we did not have any emotional attachment to most of the "stuff" in the house. What surprised us was the level of effort and logistics just to get rid of everything we weren't taking (from 40 years of home ownership). We eventually sold, donated, and just threw away what we did not intend to take. We decided that we needed more space and cargo capacity to be comfortable, and upgraded to a 39' diesel pusher towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We've been full-time for over a year (starting in our class C), and picked up our Class A DP last September. We are slowly adapting to life with little or no longer range planning.

In summary:
Make sure your partner is also your best friend and you like being close together most of the time.

That you are flexible and willing to adapt to changing conditions.

It is very helpful if you are handy and can manage minor repairs.

You have the financial resource to have an adequate exit plan whether voluntary or not.

Prescriptions and medical insurance are our biggest issues.
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

C_Daniels
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently retired, with my husband being semi-retired with his own contractor business. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the responses as we, too, are considering full-timing in our 5th wheel. I'm currently not quite ready to give up the house but have promised to consider it in a couple of years after we've made a couple of snowbird trips. At that point in time, we'd buy a new truck and a newer 5th wheel with 3 slides, as opposed to 2 so that there's just a bit more room and a more residential feel to it.

I want to be sure this is truly the life we want and envision for ourselves. Striking out on an adventure and being so free and mobile is so appealing! So thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences regarding this topic! I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. Safe travels to all!

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
NJ is a relatively high cost area...at some point you may "cash in" and buy a retirement home for half of what you sell for. Unless you paying a mortgage. the cost to maintain a home for a year isn't that high. It's very expensive to replace personal property, I M going to wait until I am much older before liquidating all my stuff for pennies on the dollar. We have a townhome and small RV. The TH involves no exterior maintenance. We can take off and come back as we please. We get sick of camping and come home.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
If both of you are not of the same mindset regarding full-timing than any discussion of the idea is moot unless drastic thoughts are considered.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Storage facilities are very expensive over time. You can buy new for what you'd store. Things get outdated fast.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
cycler wrote:
Thanks for the replies since yesterday. Right now my wife is very uncomfortable with the idea of fulltime RVing.

That said, we are still planning to RV when I retire in 2017.

We have been doing this FT thing for many years. Obviously, we love it and it suits us. As I've told many people along the way, this lifestyle is not for everyone, and the number 1 reason it doesn't work is what you stated above. If both of you aren't on board, AND if you aren't best friends above all, don't even think about it. RV'ing yes,fulltiming, not likely to be a good choice.
‘Love is what’s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.’ - Elain - age 8

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies since yesterday. Right now my wife is very uncomfortable with the idea of fulltime RVing. We discussed the issue at length yesterday. I would not try to talk her into anything that she is not okay with, knowing full well it would just plain not work.

That said, we are still planning to RV when I retire in 2017. As I stated before, we will start going to shows this fall/next winter and are trying to keep an open mind about what we would purchase. The only thing for certain is we both want to travel and see as much of the country as we can.

There have been some experiences posted I never even thought of; hiring an auction house to sell our household items, and of course there are always storage facilities. Please keep them coming. Regards, Cycler

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We also full-timed 16 years and traveled constantly. Not one regret. It's a great lifestyle.

You mentioned your wife is not onboard with the idea. First, don't force her into 'trying' it. You both have to want to do it from the beginning or it won't work.

You also stated you don't own a RV. Have you ever? Perhaps this is all too foreign for your wife - not knowing anything about RVing. You might try renting one for a weekend although it really is not the same thing as living in your own with your own belongings. Take her to a 'nice' RV park if she enjoys talking to people. If she likes more 'nature-type' areas, pick a good one for her first try. Pick an area that she'd enjoy.

Google 'blogs - full-time RVers' and a lot of good sites will come up. Have her read them to give her an idea of what full-timing is really about - and you too! It's definitely not for everyone.

Many folks full-time in a small RV but consider if you both like your own space - even though it would be a small one. Do you have hobbies? Your dog would take up room, too - just walking back and forth. Class C's can feel confining. Think about 'space' when you're looking for your RV. Class A's sit higher and have a bigger front window. It gives the feeling of space and openness. If you're looking for trailers a 5th wheel will give you a lot more storage space than a trailer and that's important for full-timing unless you're really minimalists. Lots to think about....good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been full time for a little over 5 years. We were unable to sell our house when the market as flooded with foreclosures, but did sell it easily last year. We rented it out in the interim. We had no problem deciding to sell. We loved our house and yard, but knew that if we do ever stop traveling, we won't want to stay in MI where the house was. We will settle somewhere warmer when the time comes. We do not see that happening anytime soon. We love the rv life!

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
cycler wrote:

So here goes with the questions for those who may have done this; how did it go? What would you suggest for someone who is thinking about this adventure? What are the pros and cons? Do you regret doing this, or was it the adventure of a lifetime?

Two and a half years later, it is going well. After six months, we switched from a truck/tt to a Class A/wrangler and haven't looked back. Our goal was to figure out where we wanted to live after retirement. After 2.5 years on the road, we have figured out where we don't want to live but haven't yet decided on the perfect place to live. The longer we travel, the more we realize that the most perfect place is where you are RIGHT NOW. Every place has a good side and a bad side. So we follow the weather and currently have no plans to quit.

Suggestions? Don't over think it. It is like dating - you hang out and have fun, but there are no strings attached (i.e. you don't have to stay). If you get bored, move on. If you are enjoying yourself, stay around for a while. Don't tie yourself into a regimented (9-5 type) plan - just go with it.

Cons - having to put everything away all the time or be overwhelmed with stuff. Those cute little tourist towns aren't so cute when shopping for stuff is the last thing on your mind - you have no where to put it. Cons - eating too much good food. It is easy to gain weight and harder to loose it.

Don't regret it for a minute - We only regret what we haven't done. Having wheels, we can always go back another time to do it. So far, an amazing adventure.

Best of luck with your decisions!
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
My advice would be that if the wife is not on board I'd find another solution. FT won't work if you have one of you pining away to be fixed somewhere else.

We're FT for 2 yrs in a 43' TH. Our kids were no longer in Texas and we knew we did not want to remain in Dallas, so selling was easy. She has had no regrets about not having a home and my only regret is when I have to pay to have a repair or procedure done that I'd have been capable of if I had space to work on it. Other than that, we are also trying to find those one or two places we absolutely love and can see ourselves staying for the balance.

Best of luck!
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I like to try things out before I commit, so I did that with RVing.

I spent $5500 for a very cheap but reliable setup, did not sell or even rent out my house, got a pet sitter, told friends and family I might be gone a couple weeks or a couple months, and took off.

That first trip turned out to be 6 months :).

I finally came home, packed up my house and rented it, and left again with kittycat. That time, gone 10 months.

Then I decided I really like this and it's time to get serious. I bought a bigger rig. I am keeping the S&B, though. Not so sure about all the stuff I have packed up and stored ;).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
First off thanks to all who replied. Seems like all who did respond are happy with their decision to full time RV. Also appreciate the links posted. Wow, gonna take days to go through them.

TonyandKaren: thanks for the hitchitch link. Gonna enjoy that one.

Well we talked at length about the decision today, actually for the first time, and, my wife is still hung up on owning a place to keep our things. Of course, I see it differently, but, in some form or other, I am sure we will be RVing next year. Personally, I do not want the worry or expense of owning a house I do not plan to live in full time, and forget renting, too many horror stories. I am not going to force the situation, but, will take some of the advice I have read here. We will go to as many shows as possible, try to take it from there. I really appreciate the replies/suggestions/experiences you have shared with us. Regards, Cycler

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
I see no downside to your plans as it seems that you will be selling your current house and moving to another area anyway after you retire. What not try out full time RVing while you're deciding where you'd like to live next! Fair warning though - for a lot of us this lifestyle is addicting and many people have not found their prefect retirement home even after years of full time RVing! 🙂

One more bit of advice: buy used. You'll be able to buy a higher quality RV because someone else has taken the initial depreciation hit. Hopefully they will also have fixed all of the little bugs that seem come with a new RV. Just check very carefully for water intrusion.

This is a good site with blogs of many full timers. http://www.hitchitch.com/links.html It's a good place to see all of the different rigs, traveling and living styles.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis