cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Traveling with Family to living in it for a new job

tntloesing
Explorer
Explorer
I have A 1998' Tahoe 27MS Travel Trailer and a 99' K2500 454 Suburban. Both garaged & in great shape. Have traveled across this great nation for many years now with my family. Now, a change. I was laid off and starting a new job 550 miles away and going to live in my Travel Trailer at least for 18-24 months to see if this new location will work out. Just me living in it & flying home every 3 weeks or so. Question : I think I have thought of everything but, is there anyone out there who has done this before, any advice, any do's & don'ts, security issues, ect. Would appreciate any feedback as this is new to me !
5 REPLIES 5

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Our son who has 2 children has been traveling like we have for more than 6 years in a TT and Toyota Tundra.

He's been unlucky enough to always get out of state projects. When he's close he drives home every weekend, even if it's 12 hrs. Or flies home every 2-wks if he's farther away.

Luckily his wife is a teacher and so she brings the kids and they spend the Summer or some holidays with him out-of-town.

Much like we do, he picks his campgrounds according to wherever they have a site and within driving distance of the jobsite. Most are fairly safe and we usually let the office know we are leaving for a week or weekend so they can keep an eye on anything.

Turn off water when leaving for extended periods. Set AC at slightly warmer and furnace at slightly higher than normal and you should be okay when away.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Motel/hotel....strange bed with unknowns. Bed spreads, carpet, flooring etc. Going out to eat etc.

YOUR RV.

Easy choice as I see it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine. I'm sure you can figure it out as you go.
Since you have traveled in it before you already know much.
Consult the local people and your neighbors for additional tips.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming everything is in proper running order and you have a decent park to stay at, it's a great way to save some money while sorting your situation out.

If you are in the north, cold can be an issue but there are ways to keep things from freezing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
Hello from someone who is currently in this situation.

I have been living in my trailer for the past 18 months about 240 miles from my family and drive back every few weeks for a weekend.

You don't say what area you are going to or what type of work so this may not apply to your situation. The area that I am in is heavily into the oil boom so there are "RV" parks all over the place. A high percentage of them are hastily constructed with little more that dirt or rocks and very little space between units. I believe that the general population of oilfield workers don't really seem to care about much more than a temporary place to park and many are very transient.

I looked at many places before making my choice and then finally stopped at the small town police station and talked to them about the level of "activity" at the various parks. The lady I talked to told me about one that I had missed. It turns out to be the nicest one in the area. It is small, about 30 spaces, but has grass and some space between the sites. Located adjacent to the stock car track so it is noisy every other Sat night during the summer but we get free admission to the races...

My best suggestion is to take a good look around at the various parks and try to choose the best one for you. Once there try to meet the neighbors, especially if they are long term like you. Keep in mind that you can move later if you don't like it.

You should be able to make it work without great difficulty.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Terry