cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So Dakota Domicile

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I am ready to pull the trigger on Full Timing and plan to Domicile in So Dakota. I have been reading up on this, but dont really understand the vehicle registration. Do you have to have proof of original sales tax paid in your current state for each vehicle when it was originally purchased? And if so does that keep you from paying SD sales tax upon registration? Thx, Jeff
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad
19 REPLIES 19

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
JOERVDREAM wrote:
I just purchased a pre owned RV in Oregon. I live in California. I just sent all the paperwork into Clay County South Dakota. I am paying them the sales tax of 4% plus 10 dollar title fee and 220 registration. Clay County Treasurer has a web site. Being from Ca. I almost went into shock when they answered the phone and are very friendly and will answer all your questions. I have called a couple times always a pleasurable experience. The best part is they will mail your plates to anywhere you don't need an address there.
Now I just have to stay one step in front of the revenue collectors (CHP) till I retire in December and head south.

I don't have a dog in this race, but some advice . . . don't discuss this stuff in a public forum, especially when a state like CA is involved.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
irishtom29 wrote:
JOERVDREAM wrote:
I
Now I just have to stay one step in front of the revenue collectors (CHP) till I retire in December and head south.

I hope they nail you.

Nice!

In sure you hate ICE also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
JOERVDREAM wrote:
I

I hope they nail you.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I no longer have a SD Domicile or drivers License but my tabs renewal are sent to my NW address and I call them and give CC info and they send to NW address.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a pre owned RV in Oregon. I live in California. I just sent all the paperwork into Clay County South Dakota. I am paying them the sales tax of 4% plus 10 dollar title fee and 220 registration. Clay County Treasurer has a web site. Being from Ca. I almost went into shock when they answered the phone and are very friendly and will answer all your questions. I have called a couple times always a pleasurable experience. The best part is they will mail your plates to anywhere you don't need an address there.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Call the county treasurer, for tax rates amd registration fees. SD does charge a balance on sales tax, IF you paid a lesser rate in the other jurusdiction.
sd.gov A little search will answer your questions.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
before giving up a real residence with uility bills, insurance,etc. I would get that gold star on my drivers licenses for real ID.
bumpy

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Over the years in the past, I've moved to several different states and had several vehicles re-titled and re-licensed, Indiana, North Carolina, Missouri, back to Indiana, Massachusetts, back to Indiana, Virginia, Ohio, back to Indiana. I paid Sales tax only the first time at the state I was currently a resident of when I purchased the vehicle. When moving to the next state, I only paid for the title and registration (plates).

Why would you pay sales tax twice? That just makes no sense at all.

This is all very interesting but has no relevance to the original question!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
janstey58 wrote:
Do you have to have proof of original sales tax paid in your current state for each vehicle when it was originally purchased? And if so does that keep you from paying SD sales tax upon registration? Thx, Jeff

10-4. If you have proof of sales tax paid previously at 4% or greater of the vehicle's current NADA value. If not you pay 4% of the current value or the difference.

I believe I paid 4 percent on my 15 RAM then it went up to 5 percent with the 16 DRV.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
janstey58 wrote:
Not looking for hearsay just one person that has had real world experience going through this process in SD. Thx, Jeff

I have real world experience having my SD Domicile since 2015.

I highly recommend contacting Dakota Post as I already said for the FACTS!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
janstey58 wrote:
Do you have to have proof of original sales tax paid in your current state for each vehicle when it was originally purchased? And if so does that keep you from paying SD sales tax upon registration? Thx, Jeff

10-4. If you have proof of sales tax paid previously at 4% or greater of the vehicle's current NADA value. If not you pay 4% of the current value or the difference.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rav
Explorer
Explorer
This is who we use (recommended by a friend who also full times) very happy with the service and Bruce the owner is very knowledgeable about all the requirements and is easy to talk to. Call him and ask your question, lots of mis info out there
They will also take care of getting your registrations so you don't have to.
http://myhomeaddressinc.com/
PS let me know if you decide to use him as we get a referral!!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
janstey58 wrote:
Not looking for hearsay just one person that has had real world experience going through this process in SD. Thx, Jeff
That's generally what one wants with this type of question. However you will get replies that purport to be reliable examples, and supposedly first-person accounts of how they did it.

But the fact of the matter is that you have no idea how reliable the information you're getting really is. Do yourself a favor and bypass the unreliable and get it from the source, not second-hand.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"