cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take it or leave it?

quasi
Explorer
Explorer
I cook. A lot. I have gadgets and geegaws, appliances and appurtenances. My question is what to take with us when we start Long-Timing next spring. Do most of you cooks out there take most of your kitchen with you or do you try to get by with a mess kit and a pocket knife? Trying to determine if I need things like a stand mixer, food processor and panini maker, all of which I use weekly at home.
Suggestions?

Jim

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember, It's never too late to have
a happy childhood!

8 REPLIES 8

Admin
Please do not multiple post
See thread running in Camp Cooks

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

quasi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. (I've posted a "Thank-you" in the Camp Cooks forum as well.)

Jim

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember, It's never too late to have
a happy childhood!

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love to cook and am good at it, I have owned my own restaurant as part of a Hotel I owned and so cooking well is important to me.

I brought my entire set of Cuisinart SST cookware, a Steel Wok, most of my utensils a toaster and my food processor. I also brought one or two baking sheets and other square pans and of course my cast iron dutch oven.

I had no trouble finding space to store it all. My knives go into a knife holder behind the stove (built in)most of my utensils sit in a heavy crock on the counter top and gets put in the sink when traveling. My posts and pans reside under one dinette seat.

Everything is close at hand except the food processor which is stored away more deeply.

I say take everything you think you will need or want...discard along the way as you find out what you really use.

And dont listen to those naysayers who will scream..."You'll be overweight!" Even with everything I brought for two people I still only put 650LBS in the trailer...and I weighed everything as it went in.

I am considerably underweight for my trailer capacity and truck capacity.

Take what you want, cooking and eating really well on the road is a true pleasure.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator note. Please do not post a question in multiple forums.
Thank you
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
cruisingat60 wrote:
If cooking is your hobby, if you get enjoyment from it and the process of it, and expect to cook on the road as you do at home, take the same appliances you use at your stationary house. Remember the proper tool makes all the difference. Just keep in mind storage requirements. I have a stand mixer, a food processor, a tabletop convection oven/toaster, an immersion blender, etc. and found two small 3-tiered wheeled carts at ikea that hold most everything and tuck into otherwise dead space. The Foreman grill gets stored in the built in oven that I never use because I hate propane baking.

You can always evaluate your tools somewhere down the road and eliminate what you don't use after all.

I agree basically with the above. Use common sense as there is no way that you will be able to take very many cooking utensils as "space" will be the determining factor.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

cruisingat60
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, also an Instantpot! Fantastic tool that's a pressure cooker/slow cooker/soup pot. Love it and use it all the time.
Fulltiming until I have seen everything I want to see, it isn't fun anymore, or I run out of money. Let's hope it's not the last one.

Cruisingat60 blog.

cruisingat60
Explorer
Explorer
If cooking is your hobby, if you get enjoyment from it and the process of it, and expect to cook on the road as you do at home, take the same appliances you use at your stationary house. Remember the proper tool makes all the difference. Just keep in mind storage requirements. I have a stand mixer, a food processor, a tabletop convection oven/toaster, an immersion blender, etc. and found two small 3-tiered wheeled carts at ikea that hold most everything and tuck into otherwise dead space. The Foreman grill gets stored in the built in oven that I never use because I hate propane baking.

You can always evaluate your tools somewhere down the road and eliminate what you don't use after all.
Fulltiming until I have seen everything I want to see, it isn't fun anymore, or I run out of money. Let's hope it's not the last one.

Cruisingat60 blog.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where do you plan on storing them?

Where do you plan on setting them up to use?

When we went FT...........basics
Large skillet, medium skillet, couple of pots/pans

Hand can opener, hand mixer, small blender (bullet), couple of whisks etc.
Cooked everyday using stove top, oven, slow cooker and BBQ

Space and Weight are concerns so set priorities for YOU
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31