cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas Class A road test question

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
I moved my residence to Texas in December and applied for a Class A exempt license. (Drive a 40' 5th Wheel with total weight over 26,001 lbs).

Took the road test in Texas City in Jan and the woman testing me failed me.

Took me 3 tries to parallel park and I touched the curb
I touched a curb on one of my turns
I entered the opposing lane on many of my turns

Most of the course was in a residential neighborhood with very narrow streets. My roof sustained damage from low hanging trees which I was unable to avoid.

Question is this. For those of you who drive something long 40' or more - how do you make a turn without entering the opposing traffic lane?

1- if there is no car waiting at a light, I can stay inside the turning lane and enter opposing lane after I execute the turn
2- If I see a car waiting, I always swing a little into the opposing lane before I make the turn - don't see any way to avoid this

I'm not clearing the curb by much more than a few inches, so i see no way to not at some point go in an opposing lane.

Any suggestions on how you take turns in a long rig to pass this test?
21 REPLIES 21

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Does no one else besides me, think parallel parking with a trailer of any type should not be expected? Is that really required? I wouldn't dare try to parallel park with a trailer, and prefer not doing it even with just my truck. Most times I would park easy and safely and walk a little extra distance.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
sayoung wrote:
Maybe you shouldn't be driving this big a rig. Did you not study the handbook ? I found the driving test the easiest part and I also had to go down a narrow residential street.

Maybe you should read the handbook about not being rude to a stranger? Additionally, the handbook has exactly NOTHING to do with the road test.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
CONGRATULATIONS! KNEW YOU COULD DO IT. 🙂 Thanks for coming back with your outcome.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
Maybe you shouldn't be driving this big a rig. Did you not study the handbook ? I found the driving test the easiest part and I also had to go down a narrow residential street.

Test was easy in Brownsville

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I think you'll do just fine if you re-take it in another town. It's not right that the tester took you in a narrow-streeted residential area - a place that you would never take a big RV and she should have known that. Believe it or not, most RVers have 'some' common sense! 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't legally drive that RV in any State without a proper license from the State where you reside. So, if you plan to keep a TX drivers license you MUST get the Class B add-on.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Sorry you are so far South in TX. Livingston would likely much more RVer friendly. I took the test in Bryan/College Park and there were no neighborhood streets, no parallel parking and no low hanging branches.

We were in Livingston in late Nov to get license but have been moving south with the weather. Scheduling road tests its usually 5-6 weeks out or 100's of miles away

Currently in Port Isabel and test scheduled next week in Westlaco - 68 miles away.
If I don't pass, I won't return to Texas for a long time.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry you are so far South in TX. Livingston would likely much more RVer friendly. I took the test in Bryan/College Park and there were no neighborhood streets, no parallel parking and no low hanging branches.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
paulbeauchemin wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Should be similar to what a semi rig with a 53' trailer does.

Left turn.....
Left turn

Right turn.....
Right turn

I think you have to "go long" before you actually start to turn, which means you will traverse the oncoming lanes of traffic nearest to your target lane for completing the turn. It's unavoidable in a long rig. I can't see how they can fail anyone for that.

Thanks - very helpful

No problem. Good luck with it.
Agreed on testing elsewhere, if possible, but either way you'll have to do as the CDL drivers do, and "go long" before you start to turn. Just make sure the near side on coming/left turn lanes are clear first. :B
Also agree, trying to parallel park a 40' rig. Not as easy as it looks. :E
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
Should be similar to what a semi rig with a 53' trailer does.

Left turn.....
Left turn

Right turn.....
Right turn

I think you have to "go long" before you actually start to turn, which means you will traverse the oncoming lanes of traffic nearest to your target lane for completing the turn. It's unavoidable in a long rig. I can't see how they can fail anyone for that.

Thanks - very helpful

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
#2 in your list isnt allowed. You have to wait until you can make the turn without doing that.

I think that is the issue.

In my common sense world - if there is no oncoming traffic and the lane I'm turning into has cars stopped - it makes sense to me to pull into opposing lane. Rather than sitting there blocking traffic behind me

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Rent or borrow a bumper pull trailer with a gvwr of more than 10k and take the test in it. Though i kinda think if you rubbed that many curbs and cant park it you might rethink the size you have.

In the 12k miles I've driven the 5th wheel only hit the curb twice - was a little nervous taking this test

Not sure I could ever learn to park to my blind side without help. It's not something I would ever attempt without help or being able to get out and look in my real world

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
#2 in your list isnt allowed. You have to wait until you can make the turn without doing that.