cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The worst part of getting ready to fulltime is...

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
Getting rid of all the junk accumulated for the last 40 years.
Siblings got way too much now.
Grown kid's houses are full.
Garage cans fill up way too fast.
GoodWill won't take any more.
Salvation Army won't come out anymore.
So many Craigslist ads can't keep up with them all.
Countless no shows and wasted time waiting.
Some stuff nobody will take.
But if it's free they're here now...
Then we gotta sell the house... THE Real PITA.
But this summer we'll be free!
43 REPLIES 43

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
We are going full time in 2015 and selling the home and most possessions. I had thought of using craigslist extensively but this estate auction sounds intriguing. What type of stuff would they sell and do they organize it or do you have to group stuff yourself? Do they handle moving big items like a pool table?

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Call an auction or estate sale business.
HR

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, The Olympic Game Farm sells Bread to feed the Animals. It is less expensive to bring your own. The only Requirement is that it must be 100% Whole Wheat Bread
It is not as I stated earlier the Olympic Game Park, It is the Olympic Game Farm. You can definitely feed the Animals. Check it out here.
God Bless!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:
Hawkman, I am not sure if you have ever been in Sequim before. You will find sometimes a Herd of Elk. Youn can drive around in Neighborhoods and you will find Deer Grazing in Yards.
The Olympic National Park is close by. You can also visit the Olympic Game Park that is close as well. If you visit the Game Park, take plenty of Bread to feed the Animals. They sell Bread at the Park, but it is more expensive.
When you go to the Game Park make sure you are driving a Vehicle with Electric Windows so you can roll it up quickly. The Buffalo will stick their Tongues inside the Car. I did not care to be french kissed by a Buffalo. When you get out of the Park, you will have to run your Vehicle through a Car Wash to clean off all of the Buffalo Spit.
Happy Trails!

I thought most of these areas have signs that state to please not feed the wild animals. they get too used to a free meal, gosh that sounds familiar, and can't cope in the wild.
bumpy

duane124
Explorer
Explorer
Salvation army in these parts will bring out a truck and take whatever you want to give them.... Goodwill isnt very donation friendly

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Hawkman, I am not sure if you have ever been in Sequim before. You will find sometimes a Herd of Elk. Youn can drive around in Neighborhoods and you will find Deer Grazing in Yards.
The Olympic National Park is close by. You can also visit the Olympic Game Park that is close as well. If you visit the Game Park, take plenty of Bread to feed the Animals. They sell Bread at the Park, but it is more expensive.
When you go to the Game Park make sure you are driving a Vehicle with Electric Windows so you can roll it up quickly. The Buffalo will stick their Tongues inside the Car. I did not care to be french kissed by a Buffalo. When you get out of the Park, you will have to run your Vehicle through a Car Wash to clean off all of the Buffalo Spit.
Happy Trails!
God Bless!

hook47
Explorer
Explorer
Hawkman, hope you enjoy Sequim. 20 minutes from home...
2008 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 4X4 CC / Banks IQ with Speedbrake & Economind tuner /2013 38RESB3...I know, the TV color doesn't match the MS!

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We lived 8 miles from town and a mile of dirt road off asphalt. Yard sales......no body would come (neighbors tried that). Landfill was 30 miles away. So estate auction for us.

When we had the estate sale we sat back and laugh at what people paid for our stuff.

Some things went for less than we would have paid for them ourselves but most of the other stuff went for prices we just had to shake our head at (and giggle that we got that much).
People would get into a bidding war and we'd just grin.
It was a wonderful day of entertainment, didn't have to lift a finger, nothing was left (even stuff that we would have taken to dump) and $$$$$$$ in our pocket.

And,thats why we don't go to auctions.I hate to be outbid and DW has been known to bid against herself.
But it's a great way to get rid of the "stuff"!
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

pamvanw
Explorer
Explorer
As an experiment, I took a load of stuff (aka junk) we hadn't used in years to an auctioneer. A week later they mailed me a check for $450! (along with a list of how much they got for each thing) Wish I would have been there for the entertainment value. I'm sold on the auction as the way to go.
Pam
2012 Arctic Fox 30U
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
We lived 8 miles from town and a mile of dirt road off asphalt. Yard sales......no body would come (neighbors tried that). Landfill was 30 miles away. So estate auction for us.

When we had the estate sale we sat back and laugh at what people paid for our stuff.

Some things went for less than we would have paid for them ourselves but most of the other stuff went for prices we just had to shake our head at (and giggle that we got that much).
People would get into a bidding war and we'd just grin.
It was a wonderful day of entertainment, didn't have to lift a finger, nothing was left (even stuff that we would have taken to dump) and $$$$$$$ in our pocket.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of thoughts on "getting rid of stuff"
When you have that yard sale,keep in mind,you are not doing it to make money.
The main reason you doing it is to rid yourself of "stuff"! So whatever you get for the "stuff" is worth it,being as getting rid if it is the goal.
After the final yard sale,whatever leftovers,take to the dump.It sounds good to say that you will "donate" it to the non-profit of your choice,when really you are just getting rid of stuff that no one wanted to pay for.
Some of the non-profits end up paying big money to dispose of such "donations"
The freedom from "Stuff" is well worth whatever the cost.(Or loss of sales $)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
To the Dump, to the Dump, to the Dump Dump Dump.
God Bless!

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, you did get what it was worth. The problem is we all think our 'stuff' is so much better than someone else's stuff and therefore worth so much more. It is worth what someone is willing to give you for it - - in a lot of cases that is exactly $0.00 You really know it is bad when the 'FREE' sign doesn't work.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Judgerr
Explorer
Explorer
Sold house to son. Gave him anything he wanted, snow thrower, mowers, garden tiller etc. etc. His siblings from out of state invited to come get anything they wanted.
Had a garage sale sold what we could, called a guy running a second hand store. He came and gave a price for what he wanted. The rest put at the side of the road with a free sign. What didn't disappear was thrown away! Did we get what stuff was worth? No! But we were free. Can't take it with you when you die anyhow!
Then go and don't look back!
Life is GOOD!
2008 F-350 6.8 DRW Lariat 4x2 Aug 2014. Scan Gauge II, Bilsteins,
Full Timing & Loving it!
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 321RLTS
I'm not a judge, it's just a nickname from USMC days!
"SEMPER FI" Vietnam 1968!

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
we're in the same boat...*RV*....this is a process...just dread readying the house....for that takes quite a while....the workshop is the worst....full of tools...heavy work....we'll have another big sale...this year..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...