cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Suggestions

GW_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't a complaint. We are starting our 8th year of FTing, and are headed west from south Texas this year. We have made a tentative (very) Google roundtrip travel map, to still be back in the RGV around 1/1/2015. Having a plan has helped us keep moving, instead of overstaying in a location.

For the most part, the waypoints are places we have already visited, some as long as a month. Hooked up for traveling, we are 63 feet long, so we can't just stay anywhere. To keep DW happy, except for an overnight stay, we like to have at least W/E and VZ phone service. And data.

While summer traveling, normally we "go" a day, then 'stay home" a day. Not interested in big cities, and we are both 60+, so some of the more strenuous outdoor activities hurt.

Maybe we are getting travel burnout. Probably, sitting in place for more than a couple months would cure it. Or is this a sign of an S&B in our near future?

What resources do you use to find new places, or new experiences in familiar places? Obviously, RVing and fulltiming websites are a resource. I lurk here and at Escapees, IRV2, MOC.

Suggestions welcome.
Brant and Sylvia
2019 Ford F250
2015 Cedar Creek 38CK
15 REPLIES 15

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a few months since I got my last RV Journal. So I don't know if they are still in operation.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
RFCN2 wrote:
I also do read the magazines that are still published like RV Journal, Motorhome, Escapees, and FMCA.

Hadn't heard of RV Journal? Is it still published? Because their website is no more.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
GW Rider wrote:

While summer traveling, normally we "go" a day, then 'stay home" a day. Not interested in big cities, and we are both 60+, so some of the more strenuous outdoor activities hurt.

Suggestions welcome.

Why not take a different approach and make your stops a week, with 2-3 days of travel in between. Take 101 up the coast from LA to the top of the State of Washington. Spend a week somewhere between Santa Barbara and San Jose, drive your rig NORTH over the Golden Gate Bridge (really is easy to do, especially on a Sunday) spend a week in Sonoma Valley, a week in Eureka, a week at Winchester Bay in Oregon, a week in Newport, a week in Astoria, a week in Port Angeles, at least a week south of Seattle (Mt. Rainier and Mt. Saint Helens), a week north of Seattle, drive Highway 20 over the North Cascades Park (open only in Summer), spend a week in Lake Chelan, stop and see Grand Coulee Dam and the light show at night, , pick up Highway 2 and go across the top of the country, spend a week in the Glacier National Park area, follow part of the Lewis & Clark trail in Montana and the Dakotas. And on and on.

Barb

When do we leave???
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on volunteering. It will give you purpose. The opportunities are many. Just pick your favorite spot and go for it. If you can do interpretative tours (historic places, lighthouses, etc.) it's a lot of fun to interact with the public - and sometimes to even dress up to suit the occasion.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wcbass
Explorer
Explorer
Try volunteering for a state park, National Park, Habitat for Humanity, etc.
2011 Cameo 35SB3 Fifth wheel
2015 Ford F350 4x4

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
GW Rider wrote:

Suggestions welcome.

Why not take a different approach and make your stops a week, with 2-3 days of travel in between. Take 101 up the coast from LA to the top of the State of Washington. Spend a week somewhere between Santa Barbara and San Jose, drive your rig NORTH over the Golden Gate Bridge (really is easy to do, especially on a Sunday) spend a week in Sonoma Valley, a week in Eureka, a week at Winchester Bay in Oregon, a week in Newport, a week in Astoria, a week in Port Angeles, at least a week south of Seattle (Mt. Rainier and Mt. Saint Helens), a week north of Seattle, drive Highway 20 over the North Cascades Park (open only in Summer), spend a week in Lake Chelan, stop and see Grand Coulee Dam and the light show at night, , pick up Highway 2 and go across the top of the country, spend a week in the Glacier National Park area, follow part of the Lewis & Clark trail in Montana and the Dakotas. And on and on.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Showme 5vr wrote:
We have dreamt about full timing, I can't imagine that we could run out of places to see.

We had that 'dream' and when your dream becomes a reality you won't run out of places to visit and enjoy what our Country has to offer.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
We have dreamt about full timing, I can't imagine that we could run out of places to see.
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
I google " city, state attractions " then scan down to the "TripAdvisor" link. I like tripadvisor because each attraction is rated by many people so I get a good idea of whether we'll like it or not. Also the attractions cover a range of interests and because some of the people who post are local attractions that aren't well known are listed too.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
We traveled secondary/back-roads and tried to take a different route even when going someplace we had been before.

2 weeks in one spot we got 'itchy feet'

We knew our EXIT Plan would have to be put into effect at some point so we wanted to travel/experience as much as possible BEFORE it was necessary.
Our method was 'point your nose and GO!'

This year we had to EXIT from FT.
I think at some point you will know when it's time...until then be adventurous.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the State, City, or area in place of the blank and read what the experts have to say about their area.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
Time to head to Alaska for a summer. Or the Maritimes - I could spend many summers there. Or Calgary and Banff.

Pick an interest - Civil War Battlefields, Top US Museums, Best Seafood in America, Flyfishing or Deep Sea or Lake Fishing, Arts and Crafts, American Independence History, Quilting, Jazz, Bluegrass - Research and go to all the best events and places for them.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite topic: Where to go? I suggest you check out the series of books from the Weird US series. They have almost all the states in book form now. Some of the places they identify really are "weird". But if you want something for a destination point, this is a good way to do it. Without a destination to go to, it seems RV-ing would not be fun any more. Revitalize your interests ... go "weird!" And keep enjoying your travels!

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
We belong to Escapees and just finished with a trip they put together in Moab UT. We have been to Moab before but this one focused on 4WD Jeep trips and river trip. It was a lot of fun and something we likely would not have done on our own.

I also do read the magazines that are still published like RV Journal, Motorhome, Escapees, and FMCA. All those usually have travel suggestions.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited