cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which 5th Wheel for Full Timeing

Hermes
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to full time, decided on a 5th wheel and plan to do so no sooner than November 2015, so we have time to look for a trailer. Since we will be full timing we are paying close attention to trailers built for and designed for the full timer, overall build quality and of course floor plan which is of course a personal choice. We started our research and have started looking at different trailers. So far we have narrowed it down to (not in any particular order Artic Fox, Keystone Montana, Jayco Pinnacle, Heartland Landmark and Open Range. I am interested to hear from others if we are on the right track, if there are others I am overlooking that are well suited to full time living and if any doing the same in any of the above mentioned units and how they are holding up. Thank you.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An & Kenji
2014 28' Northwood Mfg. Snow River 246RKS &
Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Ram 3500 CTD w/AISIN Tranny, Dually
2013 Aliner Expedition (Gone but not forgotten)
31 REPLIES 31

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We started with an "almost" new truck. We did a lot of research for the fiver until we narrowed it down to the make and floor plan we wanted for full time use.

Our first unit was a used 3400RL Montana. We used Craig's List and went out about 500 miles on our search. We found a 2008 from a private seller about 200 miles from home and it was an extremely well cared for unit.

We ended up trading up to a new Montana later, which I wish we would have never done. Our first 2008 had all the bugs worked out of it and nothing ever went wrong with it, plus we had under $27,000 invested.

Don't get too hung up on what manufacturers claim about their units being for "full time use". I will repeat what Old Biscuit said about getting one with a good R-value and enclosed heated underbelly. When it comes right down to it there is not a FW out there that compares to a stick built home for actual full time use.

We end up in some cooler temperatures during the year. For example we generally are still north during most of November, or we may experience some cooler nights due to high elevation out west in the spring. But for us being full time means that we stay in warmer temps throughout the year.

Good luck with your search.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
soos wrote:
Lantley wrote:
With the demise of Carriage and now Excel. The purchase of DRV I am not sure who's left that builds a true full timing unit.
Is Lifestyle the new cream of the crop?
I understand the custom builders like Spacecraft and New Horizons are around, but who is actually claiming their units are made for full time use

Just because DRV was purchased a few months ago does not mean their rigs are no longer designed for fulltiming.
At least at this point they have not change how the units are built.

I totally agree but at this point I cannot recommend buying a new one until observing the quality of the post sale units.
It does not have to be doom and gloom but it is wait and see.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
With the demise of Carriage and now Excel. The purchase of DRV I am not sure who's left that builds a true full timing unit.
I understand the custom builders like Spacecraft and New Horizons are around, but who is actually claiming their units are made for full time use

Just because DRV was purchased a few months ago does not mean their rigs are no longer designed for fulltiming.
At least at this point they have not change how the units are built.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Garry&Gayle wrote:
Read this Kansas RV center

You do know the "private firm" that -was- building rigs for them was Peterson Industries (Excel), when they closed, NuWa once more can't get new rigs.

I understand they "hope" to find a way to get/build new rigs, somehow.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
Intended use will greatly influence your selection too. Only you know how you will be using your FT rig.

Will you only be staying in RV resorts? How about State and National parks, Forest Service and COE CGs with their smaller sites? How about east coast camping? Will you be doing any boondocking? If so, how long will you be staying off grid? What size holding tanks and battery system will you require?

Do you like to travel via side roads, perhaps traveling off the blacktop some or will you be only towing on the Interstate system?

Will you want to take any supplemental transportation/recreational vehicles with you, such as motorcycles, ATV or smart car which will require a toy hauler? How about a boat or other sporting, hunting or fishing gear? Carefully consider the carrying capacity of your potential new home and arrive at a figure that will be adequate for both you and your spouses needs with a little headroom for safety sake too. Take into account options, like a second air conditioner, spare tire, home furniture, etc., and remember a large solar system and/or generator and batteries can weigh a lot if you're planning on spending any time off-grid. Do you need any equipment or inventory needed for business?

Will you need a trailer with enough insulation to survive frigid northern winters or will you be snowbirding, only staying in milder climes, as we are planning to do?

No one rig is right for everyone. Perhaps no two identical rigs are right for any two people. We're all like beautiful, unique snowflakes...

Food for thought.

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

Hermes
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the helpful responses, some good information to ponder. I realize I should have indicated our budget which is we want to stay under 100K, preferably in the 75 to 85K range, but for the right one we will consider going to 100K. Also it might of helped if I indicated a new truck is not an option, so while New Horizons is a good recommendation, it will not work for us.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An & Kenji
2014 28' Northwood Mfg. Snow River 246RKS &
Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Ram 3500 CTD w/AISIN Tranny, Dually
2013 Aliner Expedition (Gone but not forgotten)

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Read this Kansas RV center

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Keep in mind that the Landmark is in a higher price range than the other models you mention. And DRV is in an even higher price range. Depends on how much you are willing and able to spend without breaking the bank and still be satisfied with what you end up buying.

Although you always hope not to need warranty (or out of warranty) repairs it is always good to have a good local dealer with a reputable service department. I would do some research on that aspect also.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Hermes wrote:
we have narrowed it down to (not in any particular order Artic Fox, Keystone Montana, Jayco Pinnacle, Heartland Landmark and Open Range.
I think you need to look at DRV and Lifestyle.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Floorplan...........
One that allows you access to fridge/kitchen/bathroom and bedroom with out having to open slides
One that feels comfortable (opposing slides----'feels' bigger)

RV......
Attic vents (helps remove heat in roof area)
Highest R-value insulation
Enclosed/heated underbelly
Upgraded tires/axles/suspension components and shocks
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the RV Consumer Group, www.rv.org for their recommendations on what an RV for full-timing should have. I doubt if any of the `off the assembly line' rigs meet their criteria.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously most will recommend the rig they own... But how deep are your pockets?

If you are looking new only, I would first recommend New Horizons. But they -start- at $100,000. I've seen units that run over $300,000. Plus you need a real truck, even a "one-ton" will not cut it.

I'd also recommend DRV and NuWa (there are still a few new NuWa's).

Used I'd add in Excel by Peterson and a few others.

But on your list I would (only) recommend Arctic Fox (what I own of course)
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

wclement1248
Explorer
Explorer
We have a KZ Stoneridge rear kitchen. It is designed for full time living and has met our needs very well. We purchased new and especially like the two year warranty on everything. If the component manufacturer only offers one year, KZ covers the remainder

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Montana, but not a full timer. But being a member of the very active Montana Owners Club forum, I know there are a lot of Montana full timers very happy with their units.