Canada/US Border still shut...

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
61 REPLIES 61

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
I cross the border everyday in a truck and have to say i dont miss all the 4 wheelers getting in my way:) but do look forward to it eventually opening
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
WTH does the border being closed due to the Rona have to do with pepper spray?

Now donโ€™t you be bringing common sense into this discussion now.....:B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

The overwhelming majority of people that are wearing masks have a very false sense of confidence in the ability of the mask to protect them,

You win the grand prize today too!
It's the most amazing unintended social experiment, this Covid thing, that I've ever seen.

Good to see some folk with common sense and intelligence. Thank you for posting your whole post.

Always practice social conditioning. At this rate we may need it sooner than later; unfortunately.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

Ok, understood. I hope you had a safe happy Memorial Day with those that matter in your life.

10-4 on that and right back at you.

Best of what life has to offer to you and yours.

Lakeside

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
lakeside013104 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
I know a couple of border agents on both sides of the border

I asked about that very concept of multiple terms meaning the same thing being used in multiple questions. I was fascinated by the answer. It turns out tha style of questioning was developed by behavioural scientists.

Having asked the same question 1,000 or perhaps 10,000 times, one gets the feel of what a 'normal' answer is. Some answers to questions asked are so far from what is considered 'normal' answers, the hairs on the back of your neck will stand up, thus causing further inspection of the person.

The first reason is they use certain questions more to gauge our reactions to them than because they want a certain answer. Questions like โ€œDo you have any guns, knives, hand grenades or bazookas?โ€ Will illicit a laugh from honest innocent people because they take it as a joke. But a nervous criminal with a guilty conscience may react very differently.

The second reason though made me really wonder. I was told II would be surprised at how many people say โ€œnoโ€ to guns and a subsequent search turns up a rifle or shotgun and the people say โ€œyou only asked about guns, not riflesโ€. By using every possible term a sharp lawyer canโ€™t later say โ€˜my client just didnโ€™t understand the questionโ€™.

Yes or no questions are not designed to get accurate answers, but they do give openings to ask further questions.

"Got any 'guns' today Sir?" NO

"How many firearms in this vehicle today, Sir?" Oh, I don't have any firearms.

"What is the purpose you are traveling with firearms today, Sir?" Oh, I was going hunting in Texas, etc.

Getting more than a one word answers allows the Officer more time to detect any illicit responses if there are any. Asking the same general question in different manners allows the Officer time to form a decision whether to 'release' or 'refer' the subject.

Interesting post.

Lakeside

Incorrect.

You seem to have missed my comment following the portion you highlighted. โ€œ The first reason is they use certain questions more to gauge our reactions to them than because they want a certain answer.โ€.

You donโ€™t have to say even that one single word for a trained observer to get a read on you based on your physical reaction to the question itself.

Your information is very good and I did not miss the part you wrote about gauging reactions. Body language or the lack of normal body language is very important, but please allow me to add to it:

A good investigator / interrogator uses the body language along with revealing, often open ended questions. The totality of the circumstances, both body language and answers given help the Officer make an informed decision.

I meant no criticism about your statement. I only wanted to add to and give a different slant on this topic.

Respectfully,

Lakeside

Ok, understood. I hope you had a safe happy Memorial Day with those that matter in your life.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

I asked about that very concept of multiple terms meaning the same thing being used in multiple questions. I was fascinated by the answer. It turns out tha style of questioning was developed by behavioural scientists.

Having asked the same question 1,000 or perhaps 10,000 times, one gets the feel of what a 'normal' answer is. Some answers to questions asked are so far from what is considered 'normal' answers, the hairs on the back of your neck will stand up, thus causing further inspection of the person.

The first reason is they use certain questions more to gauge our reactions to them than because they want a certain answer. Questions like โ€œDo you have any guns, knives, hand grenades or bazookas?โ€ Will illicit a laugh from honest innocent people because they take it as a joke. But a nervous criminal with a guilty conscience may react very differently.

The second reason though made me really wonder. I was told II would be surprised at how many people say โ€œnoโ€ to guns and a subsequent search turns up a rifle or shotgun and the people say โ€œyou only asked about guns, not riflesโ€. By using every possible term a sharp lawyer canโ€™t later say โ€˜my client just didnโ€™t understand the questionโ€™.

Yes or no questions are not designed to get accurate answers, but they do give openings to ask further questions.

"What is the purpose you are traveling with firearms today, Sir?" Oh, I was going hunting in Texas, etc.

Getting more than a one word answers allows the Officer more time to detect any illicit responses if there are any. Asking the same general question in different manners allows the Officer time to form a decision whether to 'release' or 'refer' the subject.

Interesting post.

Lakeside

Incorrect.

You seem to have missed my comment following the portion you highlighted. โ€œ The first reason is they use certain questions more to gauge our reactions to them than because they want a certain answer.โ€.

You donโ€™t have to say even that one single word for a trained observer to get a read on you based on your physical reaction to the question itself.

Your information is very good and I did not miss the part you wrote about gauging reactions. Body language or the lack of normal body language is very important, but please allow me to add to it:

A good investigator / interrogator uses the body language along with revealing, often open ended questions. The totality of the circumstances, both body language and answers given help the Officer make an informed decision.

I meant no criticism about your statement. I only wanted to add to and give a different slant on this topic.

Respectfully,

Lakeside

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
The last time we crossed the border I had the Canadian Customs guy chuckling - we asked the usual questions about firearms, then asked what firearms I had at home: so I started listing off my collection: a Brown Bess flintlock pistol in .72 caliber; a Kentucky caplock rifle in .45 caliber; an 1851 Navy Colt pistol in .36 caliber - he stopped me and said he's never had someone with a collection like that before, laughed and waved us through!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Did you read the entire thread?

Did you answer a question with a question? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
lakeside013104 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

Interesting post.

Lakeside

Incorrect.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

Interesting post.

Lakeside

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Maybe itโ€™s because of how they are doing their testing? Canadaโ€™s health care is completely different than ours. So they donโ€™t need to pad the numbers for $$$$$.

Bingo!

Just what I have thought about this situation for some time now.

Go figure.

Lakeside

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:

Did you read the entire thread?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
It's 2 Model T roadster bodies. They won't qualify as essential nor would the travel to get them. As far as shipping I have other things bought in Mt. & N.D. and will do just one trip. My trailer for hauling these things has 29" of bed space

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Is there something about the item that it can't be shipped via transport, Fed Up, Oops or some other carrier?