cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Trip through Canada & into Alaska - Many Questions!

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife & I are planning our Alaska Adventure starting in June of 2025. I am all gung-ho, but my wife is reluctant to commit without asking those of you with experience how we should plan & what to look out for. BTW, we have a newer 2022 F-350 7.3L Gas Lariat SRW Supercrew 7.5' bed with 4:30 Axle & a 2021 Alliance Paradigm 310RL 35' 5th wheel with a smaller Solar package. 5th Wheel will be upgraded to the MorRyde IS and Disc Brakes before we leave.
Questions:
1) Elevation - any concerns pulling with our gasser? Any mountain passes or other higher elevations we should avoid? 5ver weighs about 15,000lbs. fully loaded. Our truck handles it nicely here in the lower 48.
2) Any experience joining an RV Caravan & travelling as a group? Any thoughts about doing that verses winging it alone?
3) Should we carry extra auxiliary gas cans just in case?
4) Will (2) smaller dogs be a problem? We know about having their shots & papers with us when crossing into Canada. They usually love car trips.

All responses would be helpful & appreciated!
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL
26 REPLIES 26

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Quadcab wrote:
Wife & I are planning our Alaska Adventure starting in June of 2025. I am all gung-ho, but my wife is reluctant to commit without asking those of you with experience how we should plan & what to look out for. BTW, we have a newer 2022 F-350 7.3L Gas Lariat SRW Supercrew 7.5' bed with 4:30 Axle & a 2021 Alliance Paradigm 310RL 35' 5th wheel with a smaller Solar package. 5th Wheel will be upgraded to the MorRyde IS and Disc Brakes before we leave.
Questions:
1) Elevation - any concerns pulling with our gasser? Any mountain passes or other higher elevations we should avoid? 5ver weighs about 15,000lbs. fully loaded. Our truck handles it nicely here in the lower 48.
2) Any experience joining an RV Caravan & travelling as a group? Any thoughts about doing that verses winging it alone?
3) Should we carry extra auxiliary gas cans just in case?
4) Will (2) smaller dogs be a problem? We know about having their shots & papers with us when crossing into Canada. They usually love car trips.

All responses would be helpful & appreciated!

There are plenty of posted trip reports in the TCTR 3.0 on Alaska and Canada in the Truck Camper Forum. Many of your questions can be answered there. We're doing another journey in 2024 summer to Alaska, this will be our 3rd time so much to see!
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
A quick ( close enough) temperature conversion:
25c Equation…. Double 25c add 30 = 80 f … real temp 77f
18c equation …. Double 18c add 30 = 66f real temp 64.4 f
35c equation … Double 35 add 30 = 10pf real temp 95f
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if many know this, but an easy, close enough conversion from kilometers to miles is, multiply the kilometers by 6, take the last number way = miles.

Eg 50 kilometers X 6 = 300, knock the last 0 off.....30 miles.

80 kilometers X 6 = 480, knock the lst 0 off.......48. Say 50.

Close enough for speed limits and easy to do/remember.
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag 🙂

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
It’s not just the Yukon campgrounds that only take cash, a lot of the BC Parks Campgrounds also only take cash, unless you book and pay on line with reservations.

I have been paying by card for 3 years now, even in rec sites. yes, I agree, take some back up cash just in case you find one that doesn't take cards though.

I have been traveling in Northern BC for the last 3 weeks, the BCParks first come first service sites that we stayed were just about all cash only, the only place we used a credit card in a BC Parks campground was south of Terrace going towards Kitimat. Nancy Greene Lake Provincial park, cash only, Davis Creek, Lost Ledge, Rosebery, Summit Lake all BC Provincial Park Campgrounds, all in the southwest corner of BC in the West Kootenays, cash only for first come first serve.
For credit card use the campground must have either cell service or Wifi available for the Credit Card Machines to work.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Be sure to call the credit card companies for the cards you will be using and let them know your travel plans. We mostly use Discover but found out they charged more in Canada, so we scrapped that for a different card in Canada. May be different now.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
SideHillSoup wrote:
It’s not just the Yukon campgrounds that only take cash, a lot of the BC Parks Campgrounds also only take cash, unless you book and pay on line with reservations.

I have been paying by card for 3 years now, even in rec sites. yes, I agree, take some back up cash just in case you find one that doesn't take cards though.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SideHillSoup wrote:

Stopped at around 20 campgrounds in Canada so far this summer...every one took card. Even the self pay ones had credit card options (we usually went online rather than put our credit card info in the envelope).

Yes, good to have some cash...biggest use is laundry. We are a few days out from Montana and burning off the cash we took out when we crossed from Montana into Canada.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
One thing Sidehillsoup said on the other thread. Bring some Canadian cash. His reason was the credit card machines were down at some Petro Canada stations. Mine is that the isolated Yukon campgrounds have a cash only box, with no host. So, a little cash is good.

I agree, bring some Canadian cash. You are in a foreign country for several days at a minimum, who knows what situation you may find yourself in where cards etc. cannot be accepted for whatever reason, and US cash is not a universal currency.
I wouldn't dream of traveling anywhere out of Canada without taking some local cash with me.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a great trip in 2014, including Top Of The World Highway. Canada was really good about putting out the cones on frost heaves, Alaska not so much. We found that keeping an eye out for tire skid marks was a good indication to slow down.
Mike and Terri Church Alaska book was a great asset, along with the Milepost.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
1976-ish, getting ready to head (on that trip) up from Helena to Los Anchorage involved: full mechanics set of tools on the 1-ton, 40 gallons of gas (in 5-gallon cans) between the 1-ton and the deuce and a half, 1 spare for the 1-ton (on rim) 2 spares for the deuce and a half (not on rims), headnets, 10 gallons of water (for drinking), a couple of shovels, bottle jack(s), hand saw, ax, 2500 in cash that was converted into Cdn as soon as we crossed the border, 1000 in reserve USD, telex code, and both Visa and MasterCharge. Lost two tires on the deuce-and-a half, fortunately not both at once, so we could limp to the nearest place to get the replacements mounted. Lost a hub gasket on the deuce-and-a-half...fixed that by wrapping kitchen string around the bolts until we could get to (IIRC) FSJ. Spent most of the 2500, missed getting dragooned into fighting fires by 1 hour....it was actually a great trip.
Fast forward to 2018....leaving from Idaho this time: check that Visa and Mastercard are paid off, check that the spare in the Sequoia is full. Drive.

In the 20+ trips in-between, the only flat I had was when I picked up a load of airplane parts from a construction site...grabbed a nail. It makes sense to carry a spare for whatever rig you have, but the road doesn't chew tires like it used to.

The scenery is still spectacular and it's a nice drive; some of the character of the old Alcan is lost in the improvements though.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
In 2016 when we were up to Whitehorse on the way up power outages from fires had knocked out the internet and again you needed cash to buy fuel. So out of 5 trips up north over the years, twice we needed cash.
As for spare tires, my truck already has a full size spare so I don’t pack a second spare. And when I had my 5th Wheel it also had a spare. I do carry a small spade shovel, a 24” spud bar, a 20 ton bottle Jack and some short chucks of 2x6 for Jack blocking. I always carry a 12 volt compressor and a tire repair kit as well, as we are always off on some logging road fishing, and up in the bush, there is usually no one.
My kids also bought us an Garmen Inreach 2-way communicator GPS just because we are always out in the bush on our SXS or our snowmobiles. Saw a lot of the local guys who work in the bush around Stewart last weekend with those Gramen Inreach clipped to their belts

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
One thing Sidehillsoup said on the other thread. Bring some Canadian cash. His reason was the credit card machines were down at some Petro Canada stations. Mine is that the isolated Yukon campgrounds have a cash only box, with no host. So, a little cash is good.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
happycamper1942 wrote:
I made a 9040KM trip from my home on Vancouver Island through BC, Yukon and into Alaska in 2017. I took an extra spare for my 5th wheel and for my truck, a 20" which weighed a ton, and I carted them around with me for10 weeks and never needed them.
We were off the tarmac quite a bit, including driving the Dempster as far as the Arctic Circle sign at Eagle Plains. By the end of the trip I was cursing them, but I realize "what if....?"
If I did it again I might take an extra for the truck, If I needed one for the 5th wheel I could always unhoohkand go for help.

Just finished the dempster yesterday, all the way to the arctic ocean and back (1100miles of dirt roads).

Unless you are on a tight schedule, I don't see the point of carrying multiple spares. Yes, we have a full size spare for truck and trailer but worst case, we'll hold up for a bit while we get a new tire ordered. Maybe 40-50yrs ago it was a bigger deal but we've seen plenty of tire shops along the route to and around Alaska.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I made a 9040KM trip from my home on Vancouver Island through BC, Yukon and into Alaska in 2017. I took an extra spare for my 5th wheel and for my truck, a 20" which weighed a ton, and I carted them around with me for10 weeks and never needed them.
We were off the tarmac quite a bit, including driving the Dempster as far as the Arctic Circle sign at Eagle Plains. By the end of the trip I was cursing them, but I realize "what if....?"
If I did it again I might take an extra for the truck, If I needed one for the 5th wheel I could always unhoohkand go for help.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper