cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UK and Mexico

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/tourism-body-predicts-big-losses-for-mexico-after-uk-imposes-travel-restrictions/
16 REPLIES 16

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
playaboy wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
We've been vaccinated since May. I had to raise a stink in our local municipal office to get the second shot which came two days later. Now we find out that Sinovac may not have been effective and not accepted by the U.S.

Our new governor is forming a caravan to the U.S. to get Nuevoleoneses vaccinated there. We're not waiting for the feds to do anything.

In the meantime, my motto: Trust no one.

Are they (Mexicans) going to be allowed across the border for a jab? Is that essential?

Travel agencies and airlines have been selling vaccination tours since March. You fly to Houston and they get you into HEB or CVS for the vaccine.

If you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident, you can get the shot. Essential travel is also being used by Mexicans who have parents or siblings in the U.S. who need some type of care. Those decisions are made by the agent at the border entry. Proof of illness, letters or emails, photos of the person and info to verify their existence in the country.

Short answer, we are waiting for more info. Like I said, here in the north we are not fond of the feds telling us how to live.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
We've been vaccinated since May. I had to raise a stink in our local municipal office to get the second shot which came two days later. Now we find out that Sinovac may not have been effective and not accepted by the U.S.

Our new governor is forming a caravan to the U.S. to get Nuevoleoneses vaccinated there. We're not waiting for the feds to do anything.

Are they (Mexicans) going to be allowed across the border for a jab? Is that essential?

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Not accepted by Canada either for travel there. Trust no one. Interesting concept.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#de...

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
playaboy wrote:
Since the vaccines are proving not as effective as advertised, it wouldn't surprise me the government would pull back.

...at my last count, 20 vaccines targeting sars-cov-2 were being injected across numerous countries around the World, at varying deployments. All of these vaccines have varying efficacy by age (some have ZERO efficacy, but were approved anyway!), health condition and status of the vaccine itself (ie. were the vaccines deployed before expiry? were protocols followed to the absolute letter eg. when preparing mRNA batches just before injecting?).

But really, for a vaccination "campaign" to really work, EVERYONE World-wide needs to be fully vaccinated within an ever-closing time-frame, or 2 things will happen: ever more evasive "variants" of the rampaging virus will emerge, lowering vaccine efficacy; and sars-cov-2 may escape from the actual vaccine(s) (the worst-case scenario).

Barring the entire Planet's population getting vaccinated in a very short time (say, 6 month cycle), the only way to survive this "one" would be by creating Nation "flu buddy" states, and only allowing those "buddies" access, barring "everyone else". I would have hoped that Mexico/USA/Canada could become "flu buddies", but hope is fading.

Presently, only 1.4% (+/- a fraction) of the dirt-poor nations on Earth have been vaccinated. These places are the incubators of new variants.

Canada was indeed a very, very late starter to the "get vaccinated" campaign, however, remarkably, we managed to claw our way up to near 1st place recently LOL
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Being 3rd in North America has always been Mexico's place. Right behind the USA and Canada. No surprise there.

There was not an ample supply of vacs available for purchase in the beginning. Uncle Sam, thru Operation Warp Speed, financed research and pre-purchased millions of doses of all kinds of potential covid vacs. That is why all the so called "free" jabs in the USA available to everyone from everywhere.

Not all of that investment produced a viable vaccine. The USA owns millions of doses of Asta Zenica, a vaccine NOT approved by the FDA as safe and not used in the States. We give it away to other countries.

I wonder the real cost of these free vaccines.

I believe Mexico can't purchase vaccines that aren't available to them. Other countries are in front of Mexico in the shopping line. They did procure Cansino, Sputnik and others. In fact there are 7 different vaccines approved for covid in Mexico, 4 more than the USA allows. And they still can't get enough (like most of the 3rd world)

It took Canada a long time to ramp up. Canada needs vaccines for only 40 million people that are completely under their government public health care system. Since they didn't invest and prepay for vaccines, they had to wait their turn too.

Considering all these different vaccines approved around the world didn't exist 18 months ago, I am surprised that over a BILLION people have gotten some kind of jab.

Talleyho69
We here in Guerrero are on red light, and should be because of tourism.

We both sincerely hope that you two have had your vaccinations, if you choose to have them, and are healthy.

We had ours, and are doing well and sending positive thoughts to everyone who chooses to be vaccinated.

We are out regularly and ALWAYS wear our masks. It's easy and a correct thing to do, and hopefully sends a message to our many visitors.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Mexico has not abandoned the vaccination process. However, it is extremely slow for a North American country. As you can see by the chart below that only 32% of Mexicans have received two doses and 20% have received just one dose.

Hospitals are again filling up and are full in some cities. The president said today that he refuses to make CDMX a red light and it will stay in orange, this is to protect the economy.

The U.S. has agreed to send an additional 8.5 million doses but I am not sure why Mexico isn't buying them as it is not for a lack of money.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Talleyho69
The vaccination program has not been abandoned.

Here in Zihuatanejo, in the state of Guerrero, everyone over 40, educators, medical workers and pregnant women have been fully vaccinated. Those between 30 and 39 received their first dose of the AstraZenica vaccine in July and will receive the second one in September, the dates have already been announced. Those 18 to 29 will start receiving their vaccinations Monday.

Many of the villages in the more remote areas of Guerrero received one dose vaccines with everyone being done at once so everyone is covered.

Mexico is moving forward well toward meeting their goal of having everyone (who is willing) be vaccinated by October.

Again, why has Mexico abandoned (as heard in the President's and Health Minister's speeches) its vaccination program?
Where did you get this information? It is NOT true.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern wrote:
playaboy, But you haven't explained one critical thing; why has Mexico abandoned its vaccination program? If Mexico is going to put the emphasis on its economy, why not ramp up vaccinations for Mexican citizens running businesses and working in the tourist areas, thereby showing true data of innoculation of areas where fly-in and drive-in tourists visit. They certainly would come if they saw that data published from a reputable source. If the survival of tourism is the key, vaccination of that area of the economy should be first. Again, why has Mexico abandoned (as heard in the President's and Health Minister's speeches) its vaccination program?

Abandoned? How do you know they are not offering vaccinations?

In the area I live they are completing the 2nd round of sinovac for all folks over 50 as I type this. AZ was offered at some centers in GDL. My friends got both doses of Pfyzer in Playa.

The covid stoplight system is different than the USA. It is based on hospital beds available. Since there is not a lot of beds it is easy to slip into RED.

Distribution here is not American style, with jabs available in almost any pharmacy. You can't go to Dr. Simi for your shot.

Since the vaccines are proving not as effective as advertised, it wouldn't surprise me the government would pull back.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
playaboy, But you haven't explained one critical thing; why has Mexico abandoned its vaccination program? If Mexico is going to put the emphasis on its economy, why not ramp up vaccinations for Mexican citizens running businesses and working in the tourist areas, thereby showing true data of innoculation of areas where fly-in and drive-in tourists visit. They certainly would come if they saw that data published from a reputable source. If the survival of tourism is the key, vaccination of that area of the economy should be first. Again, why has Mexico abandoned (as heard in the President's and Health Minister's speeches) its vaccination program?

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico's tourism has already been devastated.

Things have been extremely bad in the tourist sector before this announcement. Last year Cancun had less than 35% occupancy. Hundreds of businesses are "out of business". Tens of 1000's of people have no work. There are no covid checks, no unemployment checks, only hunger.

A couple of weeks ago when I was in Tulum, I took a former employee (friend) to Chedraui and bought her and her kids about 3000p in groceries. They have been surviving on eggs, beans and rice for months. Chicken and pork are a luxury they can not afford.

If you are afraid of getting sick than you should stay home and protect yourself. Don't go out. Luckily you can have all your needs delivered. That is the only way to be completely safe. You can not count on a government, your neighbors, and apparently a vaccine to keep you completely safe.

Don't stop others from living the life they chose, if your government allows you to still make personal choices.

Mexico has been very smart not to enforce the so-called closing of the border. It would harm more people than covid.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Allow me to present some numbers - which are to be found at the US CDC site - which also has easy to read charts. Last entry 7/31/21

Covid hospitalizations in the USA by age:
Covid Related: age 18 and younger 42 65 and older 365
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/covidnet/COVID19_5.html

Covid related deaths (scroll down to second chart titled Provisional Death Counts and notice the chart - Covid related deaths are at the lowest point since Covid was first tracked. And trending lower.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
It could have a lot to do with rv and Mexico. If the UK imposes barriers to Mexico travel the usa could follow suit. So far the USA has not considered quarantines. Many countries have done this
If travelers had to quarantine in a hotel that would end any North American visitors. One might say that is nuts. That would never happen. But with a variant that is getting out of control and lots of unmasked Americans the US government might have to take drastic measures .

X2
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS