cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 available in house ONLY when the motor is running

ichudov
Explorer
Explorer
I have a problem which I am going to troubleshoot today using a multimeter and what not.

The problem is that 12v electricity is only available in "house" when the main engine is running.

All Batteries, chassis as well as house, are fully charged.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

It is, in some way, related to the isolation relay, but there has to be something else.
2003 Windsor Monaco 40PST Class A Motorhome
9 REPLIES 9

ichudov
Explorer
Explorer
I opened up my old inverter, the one that I took out of the RV.

It turns out that inside of the old inverter, the BLACK battery negative is connected with a BIG shunt, to the GREEN chassis ground cable lug. For the new inverter, I added an outside cable to connect NEGATIVE to GROUND (12v, not grounding any 115v). (to accomplish the same thing as the shunt insidet he old Trace inverter)

After that, everything seems to be back to how the RV was before.

Thanks a lot guys for keeping me positive and giving some food for thought.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
First guess is that you have polarity wrong someplace in that system. Batteries, inverter, ?. Polarity should be the same from chassis and house batteries.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

MrWizard
Battery disconnect
Not
Salesman switch
That switch is not for the RV salesman
It is for the owner to use during RV storage

Sounds like a wire was moved or dropped during a new battery swap
If it was the switch aka power relay, engine running should not make any difference
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ichudov
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a fair amount of testing and troubleshooting with my multimeter

First of all, I must say that I did replace my old Trace inverter with a newer Freedom SW inverter a week ago. I believe that I connected the wires correctly, however it is possible that something was done in error.

With that background in mind, here are my findings.

1. Apparently, there is a grounding issue.

2. When the engine is off, the negative side of chassis batteries is somehow connected to the positive side of house batteries, through an unknown electrical path with some decent resistance.

3. Near the inverter, there are three thick 12 wires, red, black, and green. I connected red and black to the power input of the inverter and green to the grounding lug on the inverter. There is 12v between black and green.

4. I attempted to connect (with a 12ga jumper wire) the black and green cables. That itself resolved the power issue, in the sense that the house has 12v power, the generator can start, etc. However, there is heavy current going through that jumper cable and I quickly disconnected it.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
In my older class a, there were two salesman's switches above the entrance door. Labeled 'Main' and 'Aux'.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
there is typically a switch to turn the 12 volt on and off near the front door. Sometimes it can get bumped by persons or dogs when entering or leaving the coach. Ours is labeled "Bat Cut Off"
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

ichudov
Explorer
Explorer
Matt, I am sorry, what do you mean by salesman switch?

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Start by measuring both banks of batteries. Take some pictures for future reference and print them out. Write on the pictures the readings you get. Take the pictures in the lowest resolution possible so you can attach them to an e-mail
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Is the "Salesman Switch" off?

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.