Did you mean: 

1977 Dodge Sportsman

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 03:43pm Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator
Hello everyone!

I bought a 1977 Dodge Sportsman last year, I’m hoping someone can share some info. Unfortunately since I bought it, it’s been parked at a friends house about 5 hours away. I finally have some time to go work on it before I bring it home, but I have some questions. Some of this may be easy to answer but having the RV so far away I haven’t been able to go over it head to toe.

First off, how do I fill the propane? There are no external bottles, are they mounted on the chassis somewhere?

Second, I’m trying to figure out what engine I have, so I can order an exhaust manifold gasket and some spark plugs. The exhaust manifold has casting number 4227637-2. Can I order parts for any 1977 318?

And finally, more out of curiosity, why does the title just say CAVE under the vehicle model? It doesn’t say Dodge anywhere on it, just 1977 CAVE.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I actually get to the RV and put some hands on it. I appreciate any and all advice!
18 REPLIES 18

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 78 with a 360 in it. The easy way to id the 360 is the distributor is at the rear of the engine and the 318 is to the front.
As for propane mine are in a compartment on the drivers rear. Water tanks are under the rear seat.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
They are 2004 haha, a bit over the 6 year limit ??

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the date of manufacturer, the last 2 digits of the DOT code on tire (probably only on one side of tire.) If less than 7ish years old they may work in a pinch. But if older or damaged in any way I'd not use them
Patrick

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up the tires for only $100, but now you guys got me stressing! I probably should, not worth this beast going off the road or into another vehicle... looks like they are pretty cheap in comparison to my car tires so I guess I’ll bite the bullet! Thanks for the tips.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Few suggestions. Change the oil at a minimum before you drive it 5 hours.
318/360 will have same exhaust manifolds.
Find a set of 16” takeoff dually wheels they’re common and not too expensive. Long run, better than 4 old tires and 2 new ones and relatively unavailable 16.5s.
We do t know exactly what condition it’s in, but I’d personally figure out how to do engine oil, axle, coolant and possibly trans fluid and filter (that’s a **** shoot on an old unknown condition trans though) before driving it home.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cave is probably Caveman, a brand from back in the day.

By far your biggest concern now needs to be tires. Yes if you have the time and money you should do all the fluids, all the belts, and all the hoses, filters, etc. But if you lose a hose you are just stranded by the side of the road. But if you lose a tire at the wrong time you could easily cause a serious accident.

You mention your tires are on 16.5 wheels. I've had three RV's and the first two were 16.5". They were common back in the day but is now extremely difficult to find. There is one common-name brand making them (Firestone Transforce) and lots of no-name Chinese companies making them. If you have a blowout on the road (likely with old tires regardless of how they look) it is highly likely you will not be able to find a replacement on the road, even if you are near a big city. You may need to order a replacement and wait days. I strongly encourage you to replace all tires more than 7-10 years old (by manufacturer date) including the spare before you take your trip, regardless of appearance of tires. Another possibility is replace your wheels with junkyard take-offs (from any of the big-three automakers will work) in 16" size which is much more common, wheels will cost but tires will be cheaper.

I love older RVs and have no doubt you will get her on the road and make many great memories. Good luck and have fun!
Patrick

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Could CAVE possible stand for Cut Away Van E...?...
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Do a search on the VIN. It should give you engine info and if it's a b200, 300, or other. As for parts go to rockauto.com

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll bet you if you went to a Mopar site they could tell you what engine is in there.

One thing I would do is service the cooling system and transmission. Maybe even break it down and check the brakes too.

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have advice on the engine? Pretty sure it’s a 318 or 360, though when I google the exhaust
Manifold I have the casting # for It shows 318 Mopar, though I think they fit on a 360 as well... so a little unsure if I should get spark plugs for a 360 or 318, maybe those are compatible too? Idk I’m a ford guy

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Yes I got a great deal... $750. 43k miles, Everything works, she starts right up and I drove it about 10 miles to a friends with no issues. Interior is in nice condition but does have a very minor leak on the front cab over part, doesn’t look to bad though I think I could get it fixed up in a day or two. I’ve kept it tarped in the mean time. Just can’t wait to finally get it home so I can work on updating the interior, make it a nice little get away rig!

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Check radiator hoses, too. Awesome find and should be a lot of fun to fix up and use. Enjoy!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Old tires you found? Danger, Will Robinson, danger...in a 44 year old RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
The tires are pretty shot! Front passenger slowly leaks as it sits...I already found 4 replacements, they are old but don’t have any cracks and hold air, tread looks nearly new. I think Schwab sells the right size (16.5”) so I’ll have to pick up two more before I take it on a trip. Good reminder on the belts, I’ll probably just swap the serpentine belt before I attempt long distance...