Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1989 Dodge Xplorer 4X4

vstreano
Explorer
Explorer
I just ran across this ad on Craig's List:
http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/rvs/3648362678.html

It is for a 1989 Dodge Xplorer 4X4 RV. The owner says it only has 36,000 original miles, and he is asking $2,600. I didn't know that Xplorer made a 4X4 RV. I have a 2000 Xplorer 230 which I absolutely love. The only complaint is the low ground clearance. I would love for my van to be a 4X4. Out of curiosity I sent an email to the owner asking if it was still for sale. Here is his reply: "I'm very sorry for my late reply, my 1989 Dodge Xplorer is still for sale and it is in great condition and runs great.
It only has 35,987 miles on it, clean title, loaded with every option possible: cruise control, cab air, tilt wheel, power windows, power locks, power steering, power brakes, sink, 3 way fridge (w/auto selector), hot water heater w/dsi, microwave, 2 burner stove and much more, Vin : 2B6JB3IZ0KK31405, never been wrecked and never smoked in. I had serviced it only at the local dealer. Maintenance records are available. I am selling it because I will soon go on a second tour in Afghanistan (hope for the last time) and I don't want it getting old in my backyard and pay taxes for a rv's i don't use (two reasons to sell it). I will be gone for the next 12 months. The price is low because I need to sell it before we deploy in two weeks to be more precisely! The total price is $2,600.00 with no other hidden taxes. Please email me back if you are interested in buying it. Cpt. Timothy Moore."

So my question is, is this too good to be true? If I was any closer to Iowa I would definitely be taking a look.
10 REPLIES 10

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I have told this story before but it bears repeating.I saw the ad on CL for my current van and thought it was too low.After looking it over and test driving, the owner asked if I wanted it and what I thought of the price.I told him that I thought the price of $4,400 was more than fair but my wife asked if he would consider $4,000.He told me that price would not work for him but how would $3,600 work for me.Seeing my stunned look he told me he thought I would take good care of her.He also told me that the van was sold before to an older couple that left a $1,000 deposit then called him 2 days later to back out and that his wife decided they wanted a full blown class b.He asked the gentleman to come get his deposit but the gentleman told him that he was a man of his word and to keep the deposit.The seller told the guy that if it made him feel better,he would keep $200 for the 2 days.the gentleman would not hear of it and that was that.He passed the savings on to me but kept the $200 for his trouble,$100 of which he handed back to me for an oil change he meant to get done.After having that van for a year and doing some snoopin I would put the low value at $7,000.I'm glad I didn't know what the van was worth or I might have passed thinking it was a scam.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
So what is the truth behind this rv? The current ebay listing has 35 bids. Is the winner being duped? DId it really sell for $20k in Feb?

I have a 1997 Xplorer 230XL I love & am always interested in seeing others.

Steve

govertime
Explorer
Explorer
This campervan sure gets around.

robbins1
Explorer
Explorer
Too funny! I actually watched that original auction via my watch list on Ebay. Curious (and surprised) about the final price. I have an 86 Xplorer and like to see others and what they go for.
~~~ruth~~~

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've had scammers on CL demand "ransom" or else they would use my phone number and E-mail address as a forged origin point for their spam. Doesn't bug me -- last time I tried listing something on CL, I used a prepaid phone and a temporary E-mail address. When someone tried to extort me, I replied back, encouraging them to go right ahead, and questioned their mental capacity in a very blunt fashion. Since I was done with CL completely, I then deleted the E-mail address, locked (too many PIN and PUK guesses cause the card fry itself) and destroyed the SIM card, and when I passed by a nearby store, donated the phone to a military charity.

rufcut
Explorer
Explorer
I sold a dt yamaha on ebay a few months ago for $1500 and found it on some scam site for $200 with my phone number.

I was getting all kinds of calls of the upmost importance. HA.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd pass. Good chance you might find yourself lighter $2600 with nothing to show for it. Too good to be true.

vstreano
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for posting the original E-Bay listing. A very interesting van.

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
Same story for a jeep on CL here. $1800 for a low miles 06. I emailed them it was truly BS. deploying to Afgan. needed it gone, already "crated up" so it was imposable to drive, inspect, etc.. Crooks love CL, and must make a ton of money. I have all but stopped looking, sorry to the honest sellers, but I don't have time to wade through, the crap.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

govertime
Explorer
Explorer
Like most Craigslist ads that are pictures of text, its a SCAM/SPAM

A quick google search shows...

Some background

Sold for $20k in February