cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1990 fleetwood bounder 34s electrical newbie help

Bertstert
Explorer
Explorer
So I’ve been having problems with my engine which is a Chevy 454 7.4 HEI and it is giving electrical shock on spark plug number two. Also my fuse box has a charging light that will go on and off randomly to charge my house batteries which I’m guessing could be a grounding problem but it only happens when I lift up the panel where the wiring is. I don’t know if the guy before me did a bunch of other aftermarket stuff there is a gear vendor overdrive/under drive system on this along with a trailer braking system and the inverter that came with the RV is a quasi-wave or something like that and it does not work even being hooked up directly to the wiring of the rv. I’ve been burning through plugs like crazy and I am driving from New Jersey to California. I didn’t have much time to do a lot of research but the motor seems strong and I’m already 3/4 of the way there LOL thanks for your help in advance any tips would be awesome also my steering is pulling to the right a lot and is very sloppy I’m guessing I need an alignment and possibly new front end controls like ball joints tie rod ends And such. Any information would help the RV didn’t come with a booklet but not for everything right now I have to Fit a Duramax generator into it as my own and needs some work done. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Here's your Fleetwood manual.

https://big.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/revgroup/documents/bounder-1990.pdf?mtime=20190830093022...

1. The Spark plug issue will be a CHEVY problem Nothing to do with Fleetwood
2. The fuse block charging light is FLEETWOOD. Has nothing to do with the Chevy Chassis Charging system
3. The Inverter is aftermarket as Bounder's did not come with an Inverter in 1990.
4. The trailer braking system is also aftermarket. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do a full tune up, plugs, cap, rotor and wires.
Repair the existing genset
Front end work needs to be done by a shop that knows GM P-30 chassis. Ball joints are not as listed on most parts outlets. They are shorter and fatter then those listed. Bell cranks are a problem on P-30s. Get ones from Henderson Lineup, Grants Pass, OR.
Need to trace out wiring. You maybe able to get wiring diagrams from Fleetwood. Need serial number and VIN.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You may well be close to the point of no return...dump this RV and buy another that hasn’t been modified.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
On the spark plug issue.

Park somewhere where there is very little light at night. Open the hood and start the engine. KEEP YOU HANDS OUT FROM UNDER THE HOOD ! Wait until your eye adjust to the light, and then observe around the spark plug wire and cap. Use a spritz bottle and mist around all of the plug wires and the cap. I'll bet you will get a very nice "light show".

You will probably need a new cap, rotor, coil and wires.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check to make sure that the spark plugs that you are using are the right ones. You may want to switch to a cooler spark plug.