cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1993 Itasca chev 454 will not start

bob
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't driven in a year but was starting up and running systems. Battery fully charged cranks but does not start. any idea where to start looking? Pretty sure it is fuel injection.
11 REPLIES 11

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
1. How does it turn over? Normal or slow? If slow check-clean starter connections.

2. Check the ignition coil for spark.

3. Check for fuel spray at both injectors (top of TBI unit) Should be nice cone pattern spray.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

bob
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I do not here a click at the fuel tank when turning, In fact I took the battery out and fully charged it. When I went to connect it back up I did not get a spark or here a click which I always did before. The eng does turn over. when i first turn key on the only light i get is a check engine. any of this related to no start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My 1993 Chev chassis has throttle body injection.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bo_Walker
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1993 Winnebago Brave a while back. I am pretty sure it had a carburetor and wasn't fuel injected. I once had a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer that was one of the first fuel injected systems used on the motor homes. I changed the fuel pump one time. Years later, I changed the fuel pump sensor three times trying to solve my problem. After a few frustrating years of cranking and not cranking, I discovered the wiring harness at the sensor was broken, but not visible. It would run until I turned it slightly, then start to shut off. As soon as I released the harness (plug) it would run again. My sensor was kinda hard to reach. I purchased a new wiring harness and changed it out and solved my problem.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Three things are required to start air,fuel and spark. Check air filter mice can build a nest in there next check for fuel then spark. This will tell you where to concentrate your troubleshooting effort.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had similar problem in a 2003 on a Workhorse chassis. My problem was caused by a critter chewing through one of the many wires going to the engine computer. Found it by sheer luck when I noticed a bunch of chewed up acorns on the front of the computer.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Cranks but no start...

1. Check relay

2. Check ignition coil (Fuel, air, spark are needed for combustion)

3. ICM, Pick up coil (must remove distributor)

4. Check wiring (rodent damage)
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fuel pump relay is under the dog house, left side of the engine compartment mounted to a brace.
It only operates for about 10 seconds to pressurize the injectors and fuel system.
One the engine starts and gets oil pressure, the power to the fuel pump goes through the oil pressure sending unit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is how to read codes on your 1993.
GM early OBD code reader

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Bob,

Before you get too wound up, have someone put an ear next to the open fuel fill when you turn the ignition on but do not crank.
He should be able to hear the fuel pump in the tank start.
If he can't, locate the fuel pump relay in the box that I believe is under the hood. Check the fuel pump relay in there.
Try to feel it work.
If the relay works, go under the coach and bank on the tank. Fuel pumps often get sticky from not running for a long time. It only takes a little to free them up.
Good Luck
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am guessing that the instrument lights come on.
Is the main battery disconnect on?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow