cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20 amp campsite

KWinzer
Explorer
Explorer
We are pretty new to RV camping and usually stay at campsites with full hookups. This weekend we are taking the dogs to an agility trial, and the confirmation I just received says we are in a 20 amp site.

I understand we can't run an air conditioner on 20 amps, but I am wondering if we need to buy an electrical conversion thing to be able to plug in. I am sure this question is pretty basic and shows my ignorance, but I would rather not arrive at the venue and have no way to plug in. Generator in such close quarters is not friendly.

Oh, and the confirmation also said: "Please bring water wyes and extra electrical stuff if you have it." I have not a clue as to what he means by that...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kathy
23 REPLIES 23

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
The 30 to 15 should work fine.

KWinzer
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The correct adapters are a common item in the RV section at most Walmarts, if that's more convenient for you.

Apparently not the one near us.! We were able to get the 30/15 though, so I hope we are all set.

Happy New year and thanks for all the help!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The correct adapters are a common item in the RV section at most Walmarts, if that's more convenient for you.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
And in Elk Grove this weekend I don't think you'll need your AC's. Just open a window.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
No that is the wrong one. This is what you need: Click here

I carry two of those. One has the ground on top and the other has the ground on the bottom. My experience is the receptals are sometimes installed upside down and if your adapter is pointed up it is hard to keep it plugged in.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

KWinzer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I checked and Camping World is said to have in stock. DH missed because it says 30/15...

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
The more we read the l o n g e r the shopping list gets.
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
You could also use this one: Click Here but I'd probably get the one with the length of cord on it because sometimes the 15/20 amp receptacles may be in hard to locate places, and also it looks like the one linked here may put a lot of weight on the plug and may pull out easier.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
KWinzer wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Looks like you're in San Jose. Just curious, where have you found a campground that only has 20 amp power? I have never seen such a thing. Is this some type of temporary thing set up just for the dog trials, or is this a regular RV park? I've been to many RV parks that will have a 20amp receptacle in the box along with the 30 or 50 amp, but I've never seen just a 20amp plug in an RV park. .

It's in Elk Grove at the WAG facility. Smaller rigs get the 30 amp power, but ours is too big to fit there. He has a few 20 amp sites big enough for our 30 ft.

That explains it. It's not a regular RV park, but a special area for RV's using their facilities. The link I posted above is what you need. It says 15 amp, but both the 15 amp and the 20 amp plugs are the same ones that are in your house. So the one I linked for you will work.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
No that is the wrong one. This is what you need: Click here

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

KWinzer
Explorer
Explorer
My DH found http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-rv-female-to-20-amp-twist-lock-male-generator-adapter/69594 but it says it is a generator adapter. Will it work? We couldn't believe Camping World wouldn't have one.

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
I do a lot of festival camping where a 15 amp service is all that's available. To avoid lots of issues (breakers tripping) I do the following: The air conditioner stays off. Keep the refrigerator and water heater on propane. Limit the use of the microwave, coffee pot, electric skillet or griddle and let's not forget hair dryers and curling irons to one at a time.
Additional extension cords are usually necessary. A 10 gage cord is best and a 12 gage is acceptable.
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

KWinzer
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Looks like you're in San Jose. Just curious, where have you found a campground that only has 20 amp power? I have never seen such a thing. Is this some type of temporary thing set up just for the dog trials, or is this a regular RV park? I've been to many RV parks that will have a 20amp receptacle in the box along with the 30 or 50 amp, but I've never seen just a 20amp plug in an RV park. .

It's in Elk Grove at the WAG facility. Smaller rigs get the 30 amp power, but ours is too big to fit there. He has a few 20 amp sites big enough for our 30 ft.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is in California and the camping is this coming weekend. Unless she's traveling to South Florida I doubt she's going to need an A/C this weekend. We are having some nice sunny weather, but no place in Northern California is going to get to more than 70 this weekend.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4