cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Winnebago vista 35b flat towing jeep rubicon

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
First long trip in our new to us Vista 35b, going from Salt Lake City to San Francisco and hitting up Lake Tahoe and Yosemite along the way.

Also MY first time flat towing my Jeep Wrangler rubicon. I have a blue ox tow bar, and the brakes and light done. Still am a little anxious because I’ve never flat towed a vehicle at all!

Anyone else flat tow with the class A gassers?

Any recommendations?
Thank you!!!
11 REPLIES 11

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Yankee Clipper wrote:
Best advice I ever got about 4-down towing: never go down a hill faster than you went up.
My advice: invest in a supplemental barking system.

Great advice!!! We had a tractor trailer lose it on I 80 east just a mile or so east of Donner pass literally right in front of us. I was in the right lane going slow and using my gears as much as possible and he passes in left lane and loses it about 200 ft in front and hits the left bank and starts sliding down both lanes, I slowed as much as possible and went around then pulled off right at the vista point and went to check on him. If I would have been going fast I would have been involved as well.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice I ever got about 4-down towing: never go down a hill faster than you went up.
My advice: invest in a supplemental barking system.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rabbit Trail..

In a pinch once I got in the toad, cranked it up, put the RV running in neutral and with my wife on the phone and in the RV driver seat pulled the entire rig back about 15 feet so I could drive out. Some guy had boxed me in and left his pickup to go shopping, I guess. I have done that a couple times in the last 20 years when needed. It worked for me and didn't have to unhook the toad that time.

Just a thought for you or anyone who needs to back up on a fairly straight and level place.

Happy travels. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I had the same coach as you, and flat towed both an Acura MDX and a Ford Flex. Not at the same time of course, lol. Anyways, both vehicles weighed approx 4400-4500 lbs, and the mh handled it very well. I did not pull out west however…largest grade I towed over was Monteagle in TN at 6%. Put in tow haul mode and take your time.

As previously mentioned, always be careful when entering a gas station, parking lot, etc that you can get out without backing up. I only made that mistake once, having to unhook toad to back up a bit as I didn’t have enough room to swing around and get out. Not the end of the world but not too fun either.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your route includes some steep mountain passes. Long upgrades and downgrades going over the Sierras and some steep areas around Yosemite.
I have done all of that area numerous times over the years in my 2001 Fleetwood Flair towing a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Without any issues.

Take your time and enjoy the scenery. Sounds like a fun trip.

Try to pre-plan your fuel stops if you can. Fuel costs can be high closer to the main routes or around the small towns (Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, etc.).

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
A 4dr Rubicon weighs approx 4500 lbs. I tow a 13 Explorer with our 12 Georgetown V-10. I’ve towed it up I 70 out of Denver. It will slow down but nothing crazy. I was at 45mph at 4000+ RPM. The V-10 needs to rev so let it. You will be fine. Make sure it’s a,ways in Tow Haul every time you start the RV, this goes for towing and non towing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What year Rubicon, 2 or 4 door. I tow a 2015 2dr Sahara automatic, and no issues towing it with my 2016 Ford gasser. My brake system does not require power to the Jeep, getting ready to tow is easy.

Park on level ground, hookup Jeep
Set park brake
Key on (DO NOT START ENGINE)
Transmission to neutral
Transfer to neutral
Transmission to Park
Release park brake
Remove Key (modern jeeps don’t have steering wheel lock)
Get out of car give it a good push backward(the reason level spot)
If it rolls you are good to go

I have been towing for several years and have had to unhook maybe twice to exit gas station.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have indeed flat towed with a gasser but you may be reaching too far.

Most gassers the tow receiver is rated 5000/500 (5000 pounds and 500 pounds hitch weight) that is without any drop or riseer on the hitch. straight out. (It goes down fast if you use a drop/rise adapter to adjust hitch height)

Second even 5000 pounds may be more than the difference between the maximum COMBINED vehicle weight (RV and Towed) and the loaded for travel weight of the Motor home itself (in my case it was 4000 pounds) Most jeeps are 5,000 pounds or more so you may be reacing a bit too far.

That seen I've seen Gasser class A's towing way beyond their rating.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Read the owners manual for the jeep. There should be a section devoted to how to set the jeep up to be towed. I used to tow a jeep wrangler and ever time I used the manual to make sure the jeep was ready to tow. One time I forgot a step that involved leaving the key in so the steering wheel was not locked. I traveled many miles with locked front wheels. Once stopped both front tires blew out.

Good Luck and safe travels
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
assuming you paid attention to your weights and weigh ratings you likely won't even know or feel the jeep back there. remember...while you're towing there's not a parking lot you can't get into. but there are many, many you can't get out of without unhooking the jeep. always....always have an excape route. the jeep should turn insde the track of the MH. take it EZ but you'll be fine.

Thank you for the tips!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
assuming you paid attention to your weights and weigh ratings you likely won't even know or feel the jeep back there. remember...while you're towing there's not a parking lot you can't get into. but there are many, many you can't get out of without unhooking the jeep. always....always have an excape route. the jeep should turn insde the track of the MH. take it EZ but you'll be fine.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle