cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24’ - 27’ floorplans.

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, after over 10 years in a long TT, I’m closing in on the floor plan decision for our first class c. My twin boys are 12 now, and instead of planning trips well in advance, hitching and hauling everything, we desire more spontaneity. Weekend, get up and go trips and tailgating for sporting events.

I’m looking at floor pans between 24’-27’. My boys and are I small, I’m only 5’8, 175lbs, so a bunk over cab and rear corner bed or slide out bedroom would suffice. I’m not certain about whether or not one u-shape dinette will be enough space, or if we should maybe go 3’ longer and add an adjacent sofa with a dinette.

If you’re bored, look over these 22’-26a Minnie Winnie floor plans and give me your pros and cons. I’m torn between all of the smaller ones; both 22s, the 25, and 26.

Minnie Winnie floorplans
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
34 REPLIES 34

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
The 25b by a mile. Small enough to drive and park easily. Good roomy layout.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
For anybody that hates the dinette seat cushions. Buy a ½ inch thick mat used for standing at a kitchen sink. Slide it under the seat cushion. Problem is solved.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

albackore
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Sometimes there is an option to have one or two comfy (swivel rocker) chairs opposite the dinette instead of a sofa. Take the chairs option!

You can swivel and look out the window on that same side. With a sofa you have to do gymnastics to look out that same window. You can swivel and watch the TV. The comfy chair is just more comfy. The sofa does not rock (in both senses of that word!)

Your Imalda shoe collection can go on the floor behind the two chairs, but no floor space for shoes with the sofa.

That's a great idea. I might take out the sofa, put in one swivel chair and a dog crate/bed right next to it.
Jeff J

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab, SLT 5.9L Cummins
2009 Lance 825

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
Your Sunseeker does indeed have one OUTSTANDING feature ... no forward-facing cabover window.

Ours had one when we bought it new, but we had no choice other than passing up an otherwise great purchase. Our cabover window got shattered by a rock around 3000 miles from home. It was a nightmare getting it (improperly) temporarily replaced where we were, and then taking two tries by a shop to get it right when back home. Ugh!

Yea, we had the forward facing window on our four winds, but never had an issue with it other than it was a thermal hole. It sure got cold up there. It didn't leak, which I understand is a common problem.

My brother had a mid 90's Winne class C, about 28 ft. His daughter used to ride in the overhead and watch the world go by. One day he caught a rock in that upper glass, which shattered it all over Katy. Fortunately, it's safety glass, so it didn't hurt her. The injury to insult was next: They drove through a swarm of bees within seconds of breaking the glass.... and scooped up a fair number. Now, they had a broken front glass scattered throughout the coach, and hundreds of angry bees to deal with! Yowsa!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
BruceMc wrote:
lhenry8113 wrote:
Earlier this year we bought a slightly used 2017 Forester River Forester SLE 2251(about 24 ft.) on a Chevy 4500 chassis, with a 6.0 gas engine. Wanted the Chevy because of larger foot well space and less heat emitting from engine, drivetrain into cab. Similar to Minnie Winnie 22M. Just my wife, myself and our 35lb. dog. Easy to drive and easy to park ...

We like our 2016 2251SLE on Chevy as well!

Our travels are usually the two of us, or on occasion, with a third adult.

Our unit started out with an entertainment center in the overhead bunk, but I removed it and have a twin mattress in the space instead. We found this unit new and on sale, so took what was there.

I've completed a lot of enhancements and a few fixes over time. We've very much enjoyed this over our old 27' Four Winds 5000 on the anemic E350 Ford chassis.

Your Sunseeker does indeed have one OUTSTANDING feature ... no forward-facing cabover window.

Ours had one when we bought it new, but we had no choice other than passing up an otherwise great purchase. Our cabover window got shattered by a rock around 3000 miles from home. It was a nightmare getting it (improperly) temporarily replaced where we were, and then taking two tries by a shop to get it right when back home. Ugh!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
lhenry8113 wrote:
Earlier this year we bought a slightly used 2017 Forester River Forester SLE 2251(about 24 ft.) on a Chevy 4500 chassis, with a 6.0 gas engine. Wanted the Chevy because of larger foot well space and less heat emitting from engine, drivetrain into cab. Similar to Minnie Winnie 22M. Just my wife, myself and our 35lb. dog. Easy to drive and easy to park ...

We like our 2016 2251SLE on Chevy as well!

Our travels are usually the two of us, or on occasion, with a third adult.

Our unit started out with an entertainment center in the overhead bunk, but I removed it and have a twin mattress in the space instead. We found this unit new and on sale, so took what was there.

I've completed a lot of enhancements and a few fixes over time. We've very much enjoyed this over our old 27' Four Winds 5000 on the anemic E350 Ford chassis.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Pnichols,

There is 1 large outside storage compartment with 3 doors, one on each side and a large one in the back. The floor varies in height. It did not come with a spare tire, I bought one and put it in the center bottom of that large compartment.
It has 3 storage compartments plus the generator on the right side, and the compartment for the power cord, and a door for the LP tank on the left side.

Dusty

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
Our 2915 Itasca 27Q with the E-450 has the cab seats that swivel, and has the chin on knees problem. I used some large angle iron to raise the seats for when we are in one place for a long time.

Dusty

I recall you mentioning that in other posts - a pretty good solution!

However, the ultimate aftermarket Ford cab seat bracket would be one that not only swivels - but can be raised with a lever 3-4 inches, too. I have my wallet ready.

By the way since your 27Q is apparently a basement model with taller outside storage bays -> do a couple of your storage bays have another cavity opening up high on the back wall of the storage bay that is another long, wide, and 3" to 4" tall storage area that goes cross-wise across the motorhome tucked in between the coach floor and the two frame members (since the coach floor is not right down onto the frame members)?

My E450 Itasca 24V has two of these in two of it's exterior storage bays. They're up high opening into the storage bays' back wall so their opening is dark and I didn't notice them until I had owned our 24V for a couple of years. These are obviously intended for long items. They're great for outside storage (instead of the shower or an inside closet) of long items such as fishing poles, shovels, brooms, beach umbrellas, spare sewer hoses, etc.. Way to go Winnebago with this design trick ... but it does take a basement design Class C to be able to have this!!

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2915 Itasca 27Q with the E-450 has the cab seats that swivel, and has the chin on knees problem. I used some large angle iron to raise the seats for when we are in one place for a long time.

Dusty

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Expyinflight wrote:
bobbyg123 wrote:
So far, I think I like the 25B the best as well, but the waste tank sizes are really small. That's a bit of a concern.

After much looking....we kept coming back to the 25B also. Very happy with the decision. Just enough room for....the two of us. We never feel cramped, or wish for anything larger. Love having the sofa to relax, comfortably watch TV, etc. Not much of a kitchen, but we easily make it work with some pre planning.
Easy to drive. Easy to park. Easy to keep clean. Easy to cool. Easy to heat. Easy to maintain.

Glad to hear you like your 25B. That's the frontrunner for me so far. I can tolerate the tank sizes, and I have a portable waste tank if I ever need it.

We'll normally be 3, sometimes 4 people on trips. I suspect it'll be a little tight, but as you know you pick your poison with floor plans. With my travel trailer, I made the mistake by selecting a huge floorplan for the 2 trips a year when we have a lot of people. Not this time. If friends and Grandparents want to come, they can join us at state parks and we'll pitch a tent outside for extra sleeping.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder why the 22M has larger black and gray tanks than all of the other Winnie Minnie models except for the just the gray tank on the 31G?? Strange. It's too bad you have to put up with a slide on the 22M to get those great drycamping tank sizes.

Unfortunately Winnie doesn't offer a Ford E350/E450 based non-slide 24V floorplan anymore. Our E450 24V has large tanks and a lounge chair. With only the two of us and one small pet-person we don't need a couch for any reason, but the swiveling and extending lounge chair sure is great. Our dinette will of course quickly convert into a full size bed for an occasional adult or two guest overnighters.

One thing Winnebago doesn't include anywhere on their website (as well as no other Class C manufacturer, as far as I can tell) is whether or not their models are of a basement design. A basement design means you have taller outside storage cabinets, but also requires a step up onto the coach floor from the cab floor. This step up also means that the addition of a cab swivel passenger seat doesn't make much sense because you're sitting too low in it - your legs stick too much straight out and it would be impossible to get directly up out of it onto the coach floor. Hence with a basement design, the coach pretty much has to have a lounge chair or two somewhere in it for relaxing in the evenings.

Another feature Winnebago and other manufacturers don't mention about their coach designs is - is the area under their dinette seats entirely available for storage or are there appliances under them (furnace and/or water heater) taking up some of this potentially large storage space? Our E450 24V dinette has all of it's underseat area available and conveniently accessible - this is a huge plus for interior storage.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobbyg123 wrote:
So far, I think I like the 25B the best as well, but the waste tank sizes are really small. That's a bit of a concern.

Our 24' Nexus has 20-gallon black and grey tanks and while I would prefer something larger it has not been a problem. We rarely are in full hook-up RV Parks and CG's but do take full advantage of the usually available dump stations. The 40-gallon freshwater tank is more than enough.

The grey tends to fill first if you shower often but in the warmer months, we like to put on a swimsuit and use the outdoor shower. It is a nice way to cool down when it gets hot and helps keep the grey tank from getting too full.

Unless you are completely boondocked campgrounds have restrooms {even if it is just a vault toilet} and many have flush toilets as well as hot showers available.

:C

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123 wrote:

After much looking....we kept coming back to the 25B also. Very happy with the decision. Just enough room for....the two of us. We never feel cramped, or wish for anything larger. Love having the sofa to relax, comfortably watch TV, etc. Not much of a kitchen, but we easily make it work with some pre planning.
Easy to drive. Easy to park. Easy to keep clean. Easy to cool. Easy to heat. Easy to maintain.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
None of us can tell you which is best for your needs since we don't know you or your children. I have a 21 foot Class C with sofa, dinette, kitchen, dry bath, storage closet and overhead bunk. Some think its tiny and can;t imagine anyone living in it while others that RV like I do think it's way too big. It can easily sleep 3 adults. For the way I RV, it's an almost perfect RV.

You mentioned the spontaneity and shorter duration trips. That indicates you may be wanting to take off without much planning or preparation. With my small RV, it's often used as a second vehicle which means it's always in ready mode.

You and the kids need to hit up a larger RV show and sit in various models from various manufactures; Not to think about buying one, but to gauge the feeling you all get when inside different manufacture's models of similar sizes to what you're considering. You will quickly figure out if a U or L shape dinette is sufficient or if a sofa is really needed. You'll see if a extra jump seat is a waste or an added feature. I known people who walked away wondering why anyone would want a slide considering how on some models it actually reduces space.

So take the kids and hang out in some just to see. If still not sure, rent each for a weekend and try it out. Renting is a cheap way to focus in on size and amenities compared to buying the wrong one.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.