Did you mean:ย 

30 AMP SURGE GUARD

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 amp surge protector by Surge Guard...not the hardwired type
How can you tell if it is not working??
wHAT is the normal life span ?
It has something "loose in it" as when you shake it, it rattles, sounds like a little screw or something
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a test system but frankly I purchased it for other needs (Kind of expensive) but the unit performs multiple functions.. One is Spike supression and if it's more than 5 years old odds are that's not as good as it once was.. However you can easily add mnore spike supression.. (the devices providing are even easy to replace)

The other functions are power line monitoring and high/low voltage cutoff. If hte LCD display is showing the voltage and current. then the monitoring is likely working. To test current requires a variable AC voltage source.. I have a small one (Good enough for testing) but odds are if the display displays the proper voltage plus or minus one volt (Compare to meter) then it's working.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
It IS serviceable. Had the same problem with mine. When I called them, no help as was out of warranted. Asked if I could take it apart, the reply was " it's yours, do what you want with it!". So I took the back off, yes you can with some work. Found 3 of the bolts had come loose holding the relay and were ratteling around in side. Took some locktite and reattached the bolts. Lots of silicon when putting case back together. Still works great. They really need to use locktite in production, this seems to be a common problem.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Removed because I did not assume that the OP was a Do-It-Yourselfer.
Randy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surge Guard Instructions

When you plug in the 'Power On' lights should be lit. (top 2 or 3 depending on model)
Also bottom 'Surge' LED should be lit. If not ON then no surge protection

No typical life span.......but only 1 yr. warranty (limited)

Should NOT rattle. Unit is sealed and is NOT serviceable.

Contact Surge Guard if less than 1 yr old (good luck with that)
LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
all the lights were on when I disconnected it as the plugs showed heat burns
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
No test button?
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179