cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7.3 Ford vs 6.0 Chevy cockpit room

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has anyone bought a new Ford Chassis or sat in one to compare the cockpit space compared to the Chevy chassis? Does the 7.3 engine have a smaller dog house than the V-10?
24 REPLIES 24

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Gjac wrote:
AJR wrote:
I really do not know why I found so much of a difference. The 4500 seems to have a softer ride. I would think that would cause more push from big rigs to be felt. That does not happen. I know the Ford road handling was significantly improved by going to +5 castor.

What I do know is the stock Chevy with now 48kmi on the clock drives better than the Ford I had with 25kmi on the clock. I really enjoy not having to have both hands on the wheel all the time. I smile every time if I notice that the engine wanted a lower gear on a hill. It is so quiet compared to the Ford.

I am a life long Ford guy. Heck I even put up with the infamous early 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel for 100kmi. After driving the 4500 and my mechanic saying the Chevy 6.0 was a solid motor. I could not pass up the floorplan. Yes, this camper is a bit heavier than the last one. I really do not think that is making the difference. If three or even five more of "me" sitting in the center of a truck made it better in cross winds. I would say the truck has a design flaw. I was finally happy with the Ford chassis until I drove the Chevy.

I hope this was helpful.
I found this thread very helpful. I know from driving my old Class A on a Chevy chassis for 100k miles I drive it with one hand like a car even when trucks pass by. My belief is if you can get each tire to carry the same load and a good alignment the MH should ride well. Each of my ties carry the same load within a 100 lbs or so. Many complain about a white knuckle ride on these old chassis. If you spend any time on the Class A forum you can now see more complaints with the F53 ford chassis and how bad it rides without suspension mods. What I have been trying to figure out is how do you find the actual weight distribution from front to rear of these small class C's. Not on the MFG web sites or door stickers. I called Coachman and asked a tech not a salesmen and he had no idea. I think when you have a 158 in WB the weight distribution front to rear become more important. Does anyone know how to get this info besides asking forum members if the weighed their MH front and back and side to side?

You could do what we did ... pull off at a truck scales spot. Park it with the front wheels on the scales and get the reading. Then do the same with the rear wheels on the scales and get the reading. ๐Ÿ™‚
Phil what I am trying to do is to determine what the weight distribution before I purchase the MH afterwards is too late. Or are you saying before you by it find a scale nearby on your test drive?

Sorry ... use of truck scales is what we did AFTER we had owned our rig for awhile. But I guess maybe it might be possible to work out some way to quickly use a truck scales on some type of test drive before you buy.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
Gjac wrote:
AJR wrote:
I really do not know why I found so much of a difference. The 4500 seems to have a softer ride. I would think that would cause more push from big rigs to be felt. That does not happen. I know the Ford road handling was significantly improved by going to +5 castor.

What I do know is the stock Chevy with now 48kmi on the clock drives better than the Ford I had with 25kmi on the clock. I really enjoy not having to have both hands on the wheel all the time. I smile every time if I notice that the engine wanted a lower gear on a hill. It is so quiet compared to the Ford.

I am a life long Ford guy. Heck I even put up with the infamous early 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel for 100kmi. After driving the 4500 and my mechanic saying the Chevy 6.0 was a solid motor. I could not pass up the floorplan. Yes, this camper is a bit heavier than the last one. I really do not think that is making the difference. If three or even five more of "me" sitting in the center of a truck made it better in cross winds. I would say the truck has a design flaw. I was finally happy with the Ford chassis until I drove the Chevy.

I hope this was helpful.
I found this thread very helpful. I know from driving my old Class A on a Chevy chassis for 100k miles I drive it with one hand like a car even when trucks pass by. My belief is if you can get each tire to carry the same load and a good alignment the MH should ride well. Each of my ties carry the same load within a 100 lbs or so. Many complain about a white knuckle ride on these old chassis. If you spend any time on the Class A forum you can now see more complaints with the F53 ford chassis and how bad it rides without suspension mods. What I have been trying to figure out is how do you find the actual weight distribution from front to rear of these small class C's. Not on the MFG web sites or door stickers. I called Coachman and asked a tech not a salesmen and he had no idea. I think when you have a 158 in WB the weight distribution front to rear become more important. Does anyone know how to get this info besides asking forum members if the weighed their MH front and back and side to side?

You could do what we did ... pull off at a truck scales spot. Park it with the front wheels on the scales and get the reading. Then do the same with the rear wheels on the scales and get the reading. ๐Ÿ™‚
Phil what I am trying to do is to determine what the weight distribution before I purchase the MH afterwards is too late. Or are you saying before you by it find a scale nearby on your test drive?

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac

My current class C is a bit longer than the last one. Both had the same configuration of water tanks. The bed was in the back on both with lots of room for the same junk I carry underneath the bed. The slide adds pounds to the middle. As I said. What ever the pounds are does not make it more stable in my opinion.

I had a Damon Challenge 36โ€™ on a W22 chassis with the big block as you did or still do. Even though it was old with few miles on it. Koni shocks and a Safety-T-Plus made it a great drive. My E350 class C never had the same ride on the road, not close even after mods. The 4500 chassis does with no modifications.

If my class A had a driverโ€™s door, I would still own it. I had my perfect floorplan. But there was only one way out of the coach. Also, the driverโ€™s door on a class C is so nice getting gas.

Hey, I may have been in your shoes. Hate to say it but the Chevy is better. When mine is loaded for the road I will personal message what it weighs on each corner. Do not hold your breath.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
AJR wrote:

I hope this was helpful.

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 F. R. Forester LE on a 450 Chevy chassis with the 6.0 gas engine. Purposely got the Chevy with a gas engine. No problem with foot room-driver or passenger side-plenty of foot and leg room. Also, no heat coming up thru floor on passenger side.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
AJR wrote:

I hope this was helpful.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer

I hope this was helpful.
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
AJR wrote:
I had an E350 class C. A 28A as I recall. I had spent a fair amount of money on it to get it to handle right on the road and not scream (5Star tune ($500)) up small hills.

The selling dealer let me take my current rig 180 miles, round trip, to my mechanic for inspection. Now I was pre-sold on the layout. But the drive in strong cross winds and trucks passing me sold me on the stock Chevy chassis. Along with the ease of getting into the house from the driverโ€™s seat.

Btw, I only buy used. My current camper had 40k on it when I bought it. The previous Ford had 25k on it when I traded it in.
ARJ, you mentioned your new Chevy drove better in cross winds and trucks passing , why do you think the Chevy was better in cross winds? Do you think the weight was distributed better front to rear on the Chevy because of the weight of the slide? I noticed your previous Ford was a non slide.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I had an E350 class C. A 28A as I recall. I had spent a fair amount of money on it to get it to handle right on the road and not scream (5Star tune ($500)) up small hills.

The selling dealer let me take my current rig 180 miles, round trip, to my mechanic for inspection. Now I was pre-sold on the layout. But the drive in strong cross winds and trucks passing me sold me on the stock Chevy chassis. Along with the ease of getting into the house from the driverโ€™s seat.

Btw, I only buy used. My current camper had 40k on it when I bought it. The previous Ford had 25k on it when I traded it in.
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
atreis wrote:
Love my new Four Winds on Chevy 4500 chassis. Not only is there more space in the cockpit, but it also drives nicer than the Ford version.
Many on here say the same thing, what design features makes it drive nicer than the Ford? I have been to 3 dealers and have not seen a Chevy chassis did you have to order it brand new or did you find one on a lot?

I drove both versions before ordering. A dealership 300 miles away had the Chevy, so I went up there and test drove it. (Didn't have the options I wanted.) Another dealership closer to home had the same model on the Ford chassis. Test drove it too, and found the Chevy a lot more stable, quieter in the cockpit, and I was more comfortable at highway speeds in it. The difference could be the exact chassis model. For my model RV (Four Winds 26B), the Chevy is the 4500, where the Ford is the 350. The Chevy has a bit more than 1500 lbs greater OCCC. My OCCC is a tad more than 3K lbs. Could be the heavier duty chassis alone made most of the difference (except noise). Beats me. I just know the Chevy drove better for me.

Oh, btw, I didn't buy from either of those dealers. I did a custom order from a third dealer, and waited 4 months to get it. Neither of those dealers was willing to put in an order for me with the exact set of options I wanted. They wanted me to accept one that they already had on order.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was helping my daughter move yesterday and finally got to sit in a 2010 Chevy work van that my SIL borrowed from work. I assume the cockpit is the same a a Class C. It had much more room for your feet especially the passenger side than the Ford 350/450 chassis. Now to actually find and test drive a small Chevy C.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Only shorter coaches are built on the Chevy. Lots of 24โ€™ models are for sale on it. The longer models would overload the Chevy front-end. The Chevy SLA suspension is not as sensitive to changing alignment with ride height. The Ford Twin I-beam suspension changes caster and toe when ride height changes, so it has to be realigned after the coach is built (Ford even covers it, but most RV makers leave it to the customer to get it done) and even dramatic loading changes can affect it.

The 2021 E-series did adopt the SuperDuty steering gearbox and it reportedly dramatically improved steering feel.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
atreis wrote:
Love my new Four Winds on Chevy 4500 chassis. Not only is there more space in the cockpit, but it also drives nicer than the Ford version.
Many on here say the same thing, what design features makes it drive nicer than the Ford? I have been to 3 dealers and have not seen a Chevy chassis did you have to order it brand new or did you find one on a lot?

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
Based on this video, at the 08:30 mark, I'd say there isn't much difference, as the gal has to step over the corner of the doghouse to get to the passenger seat. btw, the guy is a bit off the wall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aBOfQD2Rzc

LOL that's Matt from Matt's reviews. He's like an excited 10 year old kid when he does his reviews, but he does do a pretty good job. I've watched most of his videos,and after a while you do end up smiling when you see him. I like his catch phrase "What other youtuber takes his fat arse up on the roof for you" Then the girl says "Nobody"
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.