cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

92 Coachmen Ram Van resuscitation project...

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been away from Sam and motor homes for about ten years, but now I'm back with a great project van. My last projects were a 70 Winnie Chief and then a 92 Coachmen prestige 5th wheeler. This time around, I'm mostly Boon docking now so its a whole different type of RVing for us.

We found a well used but serviceable 92' Coachmen built B van with a 3500 series extended chassis in need of, well, a lot..
my wife trying to hide... ๐Ÿ™‚

mechanical engine work so far-
โ€ข Full major tune up
โ€ข R134a conversion
โ€ข new heater core
โ€ข new exhaust
โ€ข new Oil/ speedo sensors, probably need a speedo
โ€ข coolant exchange
โ€ข still needs exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets

Mechanical Coach-
โ€ข replaced coach 12v breakers (2) and Coils (2)
โ€ข Waste valves (2 needed , 1 to go)
โ€ข upgraded to LED house lighting
โ€ข Furnace repaired and updated thermostat (to "auto" fan model)
โ€ข Flushed and sterilized fresh water tank
โ€ข Replaced rear door assembly (dented, wouldn't close properly)
โ€ข Will replace dented side door
โ€ข Eventually a new paint job outside, not a priority
โ€ข add small Honda 2k generator or equivalent

the above was enough to get us on the road and we went on a 500 mile round trip with two nights and three days camping. Not everything worked as it should, but I was able to wither improvise or rig up solutions (mostly power related) that got us through the trip fairly comfortably.

and the "new" door...these are hard to find!

we also made another to do list, and luckily most all items in are already my garage or on their way, just need the time to install:
โ€ข replace all carpet and add insulation/sound deadener (Obtained commercial indoor/outdoor grade Remnant cheap)
โ€ข sand and paint interior cabinets (special laminate paint)
โ€ข Add interior cabinet lighting
โ€ข Add water filtration system (ordered basic under counter particulate)
โ€ข Add Solar Panels (ordered 50w system to start)
โ€ข Add Strip lighting
โ€ข Repair leaky Hot Water dispenser faucet
โ€ข Add Propane hot water heater and outdoor shower (Ordered)
โ€ข repair on jack knife couch bracket (complete, sort of)
โ€ข Add 120v inverter
โ€ข Add Video system and back up camera
โ€ข Add parking sensors

The biggest issue I'm having at the moment is getting the 12v system to work on its own. I have to jump out the house battery coil, even after replacing both coils and breakers. the 12v switch does nothing, so I'm tracing out those lines and looking for additional fuses or a line break. The fridge heats up on the coil side, but does not cool, so that will come out and get stood on its head for a few days and well cross our fingers...

will add pictures soon..
Eric
92 Coachmen Class B, Dodge chassis
The War Wagon...
https://www.facebook.com/BedraggledClassBCampers
16 REPLIES 16

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
Please have fire extinguisher handy just to make me feel better.

lol.. always do... one in the front, one in the middle, one in the back..
Eric
The War Wagon...

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Please have fire extinguisher handy just to make me feel better.

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
The shower is indoor rated, but adequate ventilation is required. To be safe, I upgraded the roof vent to a powered fan unit and also have a window mount fan for the front. no worries, the air moves well . And.. i can hang the unit outside of the driver door as well , another reason for the gas rated quick disconnect fittings. ๐Ÿ™‚

As for function, its quite impressive. it only heats when there is water flow, no gas or flame when water is not moving, yet even on the lowest setting, its almost too hot! I may actually need to install a mixing faucet to keep the temp down for my wife. these units have come a long way...
Eric
The War Wagon...

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to alarm you but that shower looks really dangerous. Isn't that for outdoor use? I thought of just such a setup for a DIY project but had envisioned metal all around it and a small roof van to pull the fumes out. I hope I'm wrong. Hard to tell with a few pics.

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Looking good 924Guy!!!! I am looking at a similar propane shower, but our layouts are different so mine would go in the rear....looking forward to reviews on how you like it ๐Ÿ™‚
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
more painting of the cabinetry, and the new vantastic fan is working great:

Shower install progress, the water heater is easily removed, and the quick disconnect hose on the propane feed can be used for a propane heater or other propane accessory. all feeds have valves as well.

no floor drain yet, have a five gallon tub and will set up a hula hoop with shower curtain for now..

Rear camera install started, camera is in, monitor is in, just need to connect the two. made up the wiring harness already, will thread it in next week:

Speed enhancement accessory added:

Eric
The War Wagon...

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
coming together.

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
Dash LED Light updates: Swapped out the gauge console for a working one (hopefully) and added the led;s costs me 70,000 miles.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Eric
The War Wagon...

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
Heres a sneak preview. .
Eric
The War Wagon...

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
Had a great trip , and even with the electric fridge , we never ran low on power. The solar panel, small as it is , was able to fully charge the battery each morning in a couple of hours even under load. We did learn that we should not keep that fridge on its coldest setting, unless we want to make ice. Iced orange juice, iced milk, iced ham... next up...paint, carpet, shower install, and a lot of weird but cool electronics...
Eric
The War Wagon...

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
I built the solar kit from parts i collected off of ebay over time. after doing some research i decided to bolt the panel to the ac shroud and also use the a/c wire routing for the panel wires, worked out well. I had the new electric refrigerator running on high , off the battery for the past two days with only the panel to recharge it (in partial sun.) The voltage dropped to 11.8, a >2v drop is not bad for a 24 hr a day draw. with other accessories running, I may need more power so ill likely install another panel, well see how it goes.
Eric
The War Wagon...

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
Nice van. Where did you get your solar setup? Do you like how it wires one?

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
Spending to much time making a living lately, but we have started to cross a few items off the list.

I installed a 50w solar panel to maintain the house battery, which i also replaced and upgraded to a 110AH rated everstart, so its probably a 80 ah. But, thats okay, the price was good and i have plans to add a second panel and battery as we camp in places without power and have to make our own. the first panel went on top of the ac housing, which I reinforced and needed to repair anyhow.

We replaced the 6" broken vanair roof vent with a new, almost identical model, but this one has an exhaust fan (caught a sale on amazon and saved $20 buck!) Luckily, I was able to tap into the interior light circuit and didnt have to run any wire. downside is that that the lighting circuit has to be energized for it work. no big deal. Im still scraping the duct tape of my hands that was covering the old vent..

and today's BIG job was replacing the fridge. After trying every thing i could think of, and some things i couldnt, I decided the existing fridge was simply not going work again without a coil flush and r717 recharge. Not something i am able to do, and couldn't find any r717, A new cooling unit was close to $500 so i went for replacement. I found one that was larger, and snatched it up since it was an great deal, only to find that its too deep to work. And i was all ready to sacrifice our wardrobe closet too.. oh well. I then found a marine norcold 12/24v -115v unit, no gas but also a good deal and works great. 2.5 " wider doesn't seem like much, until you try and fit the unit in. basically i needed to rip out the entire existing cabinet facing, drawers, supports etc.. and build a new frame around the new fridge. The finish work isnt complete yet as i ran out of time and wanted to make sure it was at least enclosed before our trip next week, but the unit is in, and working great.

weve also replaced all the interior lightbulbs with LED units, got the 12v tap water heater working, installed a drinking water tap and filter (and flushed/sterilized the water tank) and some other things. not bad for working on it one day a month.. more to follow...
Eric
The War Wagon...

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Nice project, I like it. All those things are fixable in DIY mode, which is great.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.