cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'93 Ford E350 7.5L water pump question

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't posted in a while, but getting ready for a couple of trips over the next 2-3 months. I have replaced most of the cooling stuff on this vehicle, except for the water pump. It's not leaking, looks to be original - but should I replace it just as a preventive measure? I've read of all the problems in breaking bolts etc, so I'm a bit reluctant to mess with this, but I also don't want to get stranded. If I decide to replace, any thoughts on which pump to buy? Can't hardly find Motorcraft, and I've read of some concerns in aftermarket pumps. Motorhome has about 90K miles on it...

Thanks, ryan
8 REPLIES 8

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what I'm going to do yet...thanks for the suggestions.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how your water pump replacement works out. Pics would be great!
Kevin

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't like Autozone, there's always NAPA, but you'll pay more. Broken bolts can happen anytime. Better to happen at home than on the road.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in to it somewhat now...I have the alternator out and am waiting on a replacement. I just can't decide on which manufacturer to go with - I get the Autozone advantage, but this is not like replacing the alternator (for which I did buy a lifetime Autozone alternator). Replacing the alternator is an easy job - took me 15 minutes to get the old one off. But the water pump is a different story and can quickly get in to broken bolts and a really big pain! I have already replaced all hoses, wires and cap are pretty new...just replaced the radiator and added a new TruCool transmission cooler earlier this year.

I don't want to have to do this job again, but that's presupposing I can get it done the first time without having to R&R broken bolts.

I kind of like the idea of buying and carrying a spare - just in case...but I still don't know which manufacturer to go with.

Thanks for the ideas and comments!!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the water pump on my 92 E350 (tiny drip) - if you have original hoses, spark plug wires, distributor cap etc ... change those out as well.

Happy camping.
Kevin

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
rgnprof wrote:
I haven't posted in a while, but getting ready for a couple of trips over the next 2-3 months. I have replaced most of the cooling stuff on this vehicle, except for the water pump. It's not leaking, looks to be original - but should I replace it just as a preventive measure? I've read of all the problems in breaking bolts etc, so I'm a bit reluctant to mess with this, but I also don't want to get stranded. If I decide to replace, any thoughts on which pump to buy? Can't hardly find Motorcraft, and I've read of some concerns in aftermarket pumps. Motorhome has about 90K miles on it...

Thanks, ryan

Because you posted this, now it will go out for sure ๐Ÿ™‚ If you have the time, I would go ahead and replace it. I had the same setup as you once. That pump will not last much longer anyway, surprised it lasted that long. While your in there you might take a look at the belt and pulley's too. Autozone is a good place to get a pump. Lifetime guarantee. If it we're me I'd do all new hoses etc. It's much cheaper to do it under controlled conditions than to have it go out on the road, get towed, and have a shop do it $$$$ Not to mention your trip is ruined. A really good sealant is called "The Right Stuff" from Permatex. Make sure you put some sealant on the threads of the bolts so they don't leak. While you have the fan out, take a hose with a good spray nozzle and spray through the radiator from the back. You'll get a lot of dirt out.Then go on your trip with confidence, and your rig will be happy.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
While you're deciding what to do with your water pump, I would spray the bolts with a good penetrating oil (NOT WD-40).
It may help if/when you need to replace the pump.
Another option is, leave the original pump in place and carry a new pump as a spare.

I can't say anything to seem more learned, cuz I ain't. ๐Ÿ™‚

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm generally of the opinion "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." (Or, if you prefer to seem more learned, "SI fractum non sit, noli id reficere.")