cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ac’s went off

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
In the heart of hot day my ac’s stopped. Flipped breaker at post and they came back on. Quit again 15 minutes later. Powerline control said no service. Flipped circuit breaker at post and all have been runnig full tilt (3) for about 2 hrs. Initially upon resetting the power control showed i was drawing 50 to 51 amps. It moved. After things cooled a bit it showed 36-37. They were set on auto. Were my 3 units just too much demand until they had cooled things. Initially it was cool went they shut dow. We stepped away while they were running and when returned they were off. Any advice to avoid this is always useful. Sun was beating hard and the later sun was on front of coach. 2013 Itasca Elipse.
18 REPLIES 18

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. House batteries are good.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. House batteries are good.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your inverter may be on high charge if your house batteries are low and this can draw a lot of extra amps.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Powerline. 121volt on one line 124 is high on other but bounces 121-124. Ac increases amp draw went switched from low to auto or high. 7-8 amps per. 2 on one line and one on other. Front and rear together. Middle seperate. With 1 and 3 on auto now drawing 29 amps.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
A 50 amp connection has 50 amps on each leg (100 amp). If the voltage at the pole is good, we can run 80-85 amps and not effect anything.

It's when the whole park is trying to use a lot of electricity that the voltage will drop. I like to see at least 110 volts on each leg, 120-122 volts would be perfect on each leg.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have something that monitors the voltage/current on each leg of your incoming power?
I somehow doubt that you have all three AC units on one incoming 50 amp leg. I'll would guess that two may be on one leg and one may be on the other input leg.
A 50 amp pedestal circuit breaker provides 50 amps of power on each leg for a total of 100 amps.
Keep in mind that if the voltage drops just a few volts(ONLY measured when all three AC units are running) the current draw increases significantly.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pulling 50-51 amps on a 50 amp breaker, breaker is doing it's job.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
In central Florida. Short stop so didn’t put on sun screen and when sun swung to blast in windsheild even with inside shade down it was hot. I think cleaning is in order. Voltage was fine. Thanks for all the ideas.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Do you monitor the voltage? The worst thing for an air conditioner is low voltage.

I keep a plug-in voltage meter plugged into a wall socket on my coach and if it drops to 105 volts I turn off the air conditioner.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What is the voltage when the three units are drawing 51 amps? Are two of the units on one leg? If so, leave one of them off.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are you that you need 3 AC's running? We are 36' and 1 AC keeps it 75 in here when it's 95 and we are sitting in the sun. We keep the windshield curtains closed and any place else that will block the sun. Vent pillows to keep the cool air in and the sun's heat out. Awnings out to keep the sun off the sides. If you are going to be in a hot climate all summer I think you need to get some sun shades in place.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Just 3 a/c units drawing 15 amps each and your inverter using another 5 or 6 amps puts you at a critical point for that 50 amp pole breaker
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea. Will have them all cleaned soon. I don’t do ladders and roofs anymore.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at today’s weather in Madison, he should just open the windows.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad