cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Max Air fan

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2016 Thor Chateau 31L that we purchased last June has 3 ceiling vents, the one in the bathroom has the small fan in it and the vent in the front of the coach and the one in the bedroom have no fans.
I would like to add the Max Air fans to them. How do you get power supply to the fans? Is there already power supply wires there when you remove the vent?
Any help is appreciated.

Kevin
13 REPLIES 13

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the maxxaire that i used was the type that mounted over the vent with the fan/motor/noise to the rear and aimed down. could leave it open in the rain.
bumpy

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
On my Forester all the vents are pre-wired for fans.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the information. will probably attempt installing a fan in the front vent in the cab over first.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Yep same here , replaced small fan in Bathroom with a Fantastic Fan and then the other one over the rear bed . If memory serves me right I had to snake wires over to the one above the bed .
The front vent that was up over the cab part on both C's neither had wiring and had a solid beam/track across .

If the over-cab part has a light mounted up there , a person could (might) snake wires from the light ?

If you do get the fan('s) get the ones with a thermostat setting on them.
We'd park somewhere ,crack open the vents dial one of the fans thermostat then as it heated up in the RV the fan would would cycle on. Helping to cool the inside.

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like I an going to have to run a wire to the vent to power it. Thanks for all the info everyone.
On a positive note, I took the RV in for a front end alignment and it drives better now.

NWboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine in the rear bedroom, tapping a nearby light fixture and pushing wire taped to a rod to punch through the insulation.

Don't assume you need fans both front and rear. You can open a vent at one end and use the fan at the other in either direction to push or pull plenty of airflow.
'13 Coachmen Freelander 26QB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
I added a high volume fan to the bathroom. Works great. But turning on the fan, having bath door closed and flushing toilet will suck fumes out of holding tank. I would still put one in bathroom again.

and you don't make that mistake twice. 🙂
bumpy

ronfisherman
I added a high volume fan to the bathroom. Works great. But turning on the fan, having bath door closed and flushing toilet will suck fumes out of holding tank. I would still put one in bathroom again.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
As others suggest there may be wiring you can find in the fibreglass, even if it may be intended for lights as it was in both of my cases.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I added a Maxaire fan in my bathroom vent and merely took the blade off the old little whirr and buzz and installed the maxaire on the roof using the L brackets, NOT screwed into roof, with the control mounted to the inner trim and just hooked to the two wires to the new fan.
I would think that there would be 12 volts available at the other two vents if not fish a wire to a nearby light?
bumpy

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the inside, remove the plastic flashing ring, probably four screws. Then look around and feel around in the insulation to see if the wiring is there. On my my Nash trailer, Northwood ran power to the two vents they didn't install fans on. It was fairly easy to install the fans.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe someone will chime in that knows about your model. If not remove plastic trim on vent and look around. Maybe flash light and metal yard stick to lift insulation to see if any wires. Adding fan was good idea on ours. Much better in warm weather.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The RV industry does not run power anywhere they're not going to immediately use it. So my bet is the other vents do not have power going to them. You'll have to run a wire to them. Just have your rv people do it for you.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE