cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on buying new class C

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to upgrade from our Fleetwood Tioga 26FT 1999. We have had it for quite sometime as you can tell. And the DW is in love with the THOR 31W. Anything we should know about this unit? Our biggest concern is that it has one BIG slide out, the whole wall, we like the room it creates inside, just unsure of the whole wall sliding out, we have never had a slide out before so we no nothing about them, or THOR.
Thoughts, suggestions?
BTW, It is at camping world, I have kept up on here about the Camping World problems.
7 REPLIES 7

ronwagn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information already posted. Our only prior experience is owning an old Coachmen that was a nightmare. Had to change the engine and tranny. Lost about $11,000 on that. The main problem was that we were not retired, and never found time to use it.

We are looking at the 27 to 32 foot Class Cs also. Want a real Queen walk around and a slider up front. We may need two sliders or the whole side. slider.

We want to stay under $75,000 so may consider a demo or slightly used model.
Are warranties transferrable? I may consider Thor with the idea of fixing any problems that arise. We can't afford to be picky.

Any tips on negotiating?

All the best,
Ron

fireflock
Explorer
Explorer
(1) 30' C's, especially with slides, are VERY likely to be overloaded from Day 1. You can't do much to fix it. Don't get yourself into a weight situation that you later regret. I wouldn't buy one myself without weighting it personally and verifying with my own eyes.

(2) Industry quality is low across the board. Be aware.

paullac
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
LetsRV wrote:
The Forester and the Sunseeker are sister products with little difference. The little difference steered us toward the Forester (one issue was the fiberglass roof).

I would consider the fiberglass roof to be a "BIG" difference.
bumpy

Both the sunseeker and forester have fiberglass roofs.

Another thumbs up for forest river. We have a sunseeker. All new ones have some issues but forest river was very good to work with when problems arose.
All previous rigs below are sold - waiting until the kids graduate to the buy the next one!
'13 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 Class C
'04 Fleetwood Sedona Pop Up / Reese Mini 350 / Prodigy / BAL
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
Well after reading reviews about THOR, think we will look at other manufactures. Reviews are not good.

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
I will have to look at the forest river products. We have had very good luck with our Tioga need to look at them also, just have to talk the DW into shopping around a little more. Also the THOR Chateau we looked at had a residential fridge which is nice, but we do boondock sometimes for a week at a time which could cause an issue.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
LetsRV wrote:
The Forester and the Sunseeker are sister products with little difference. The little difference steered us toward the Forester (one issue was the fiberglass roof).

I would consider the fiberglass roof to be a "BIG" difference.
bumpy

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
We recently down-sized (about two weeks ago) from a Class A DP that we owned for 15 years to a Class C.

We looked for the better part of two years as there was no forgivenessin our needs/wants. i.e. 27 to 30 feet, front entertainment center, walk around bed, decent storage (in and out)...for starters. ๐Ÿ™‚ Researched over 12 different units.

Just our opinion BUT after research on internet and dealer lots:

We found the Thor products to not meet our expectations on quality and build.

Looked hard at the Jayco product but didn't have what we wanted/needed. Prices tended to be a bit higher than competition.

Winnabago no longer offered the front entertainment center but we did like what we saw in that line-up.

Finally settled on a Forest River product. We got the Forester 3011DSF. The Forester and the Sunseeker are sister products with little difference. The little difference steered us toward the Forester (one issue was the fiberglass roof).

As far as the full wall slide...there are more and more units coming out with these and don't seem to have any more problems than any other slide that I heard on the forums. Our unit has a full wall slide and a small slide in the bedroom. Don't expect any issues with either.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF