cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ally financial Bank Issues.... Anybody else experience this?

mljjdb
Explorer
Explorer
Attempting to buy a Class A from a private seller. He paid off his lien on August 8th. Apparently the state of Georgia allows the bank to hold back the title for 10 days from the payoff. Than supposedly, the bank will send the stamped title to the owner. We were able to have a conference call with the owner, buyer and the bank 7 days ago and insisted on speaking with someone in the United States. We luckily got someone in Texas after several tries and being told from the Phillipine reps that all banks were closed due to meetings. The Rep in Texas said once the 10 days were satisfied, the title would be sent to the owner. That was 7 days ago and the owner was told it would be another 7-10 days.
We have a good relationship with the seller/owner, but this seems like it will be a never ending battle. We are not comfortable buying without a clear title in hand before we purchase. This is so frustrating..... any suggestions from prior Class A or other owners that may have experienced a similar issue with this financial institution?
21 REPLIES 21

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:
Paper titles are going the way of the dinosaur. Any vehicle title issued in Florida now is electronic, as well as finance liens. If you absolutely, positively gotta have a paper title, it can be yours for $85. When we sold our travel trailer on consignment, I asked the RV dealer sales manager was it necessary for me to provide a physical title. Her answer was no.

But the bank will still send you a satisfaction of lien notice.....

Same here in Georgia actually.. at least when talking about getting something from a lien holder. They will send you something that documents the lien has been satisfied, and then the owner takes that to the DMV if they want a paper title. And then wait for it in the mail.

OP - it might be longer than 10 more days if Ally bank only sends a lien satisfaction letter.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Reading through this thread and trying to figure out the actual issue. Banks have policies on hold times for title release. Not sure why a few days is a big deal, It's actually for everyone's protection. Banks offshore to Malaysia, the Philippines, India, Costa Rica etc, not only because it's cost effective (Us employees demand much higher wages) , but it also allows for broader support times during off hours as they are in different time zones.

"Banks offshore to Malaysia, the Philippines, India, Costa Rica etc, not only because it's cost effective (Us employees demand much higher wages) , but it also allows for broader support times during off hours as they are in different time zones."

.....that may be the case, but if I can't understand who I'm speaking with and he or she can't understand me, it's kind of a moot point, don't you think?

Inability to overcome a language barrier is bad, no doubt, and a total miss on the part of the company. Usually that's not the case though. Banks (well, any large company) knows the customer experience could be lessened with offshore resources. But careful consideration is made between what's cost effective and losses due to customer attrition based on poor customer experience. They still retain enough customers and broad margins using offshore resources to make it cost effective/profitable. In short - using all US customer service staff is expensive and customer retention isn't really higher as a result. I've had horrible customer service more than once from reps working here in the US from various companies. I've also had stellar customer service from offshore resources.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Paper titles are going the way of the dinosaur. Any vehicle title issued in Florida now is electronic, as well as finance liens. If you absolutely, positively gotta have a paper title, it can be yours for $85. When we sold our travel trailer on consignment, I asked the RV dealer sales manager was it necessary for me to provide a physical title. Her answer was no.

But the bank will still send you a satisfaction of lien notice.....

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Reading through this thread and trying to figure out the actual issue. Banks have policies on hold times for title release. Not sure why a few days is a big deal, It's actually for everyone's protection. Banks offshore to Malaysia, the Philippines, India, Costa Rica etc, not only because it's cost effective (Us employees demand much higher wages) , but it also allows for broader support times during off hours as they are in different time zones.

"Banks offshore to Malaysia, the Philippines, India, Costa Rica etc, not only because it's cost effective (Us employees demand much higher wages) , but it also allows for broader support times during off hours as they are in different time zones."

.....that may be the case, but if I can't understand who I'm speaking with and he or she can't understand me, it's kind of a moot point, don't you think?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I waited almost a year for my title from B of A. Got my attorney to send a letter. It must have been a brilliant letter cause I got it very soon afterward and the lien release signature was scribbled very large all across the page like they were none too happy.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget banks don't keep titles in someone's desk drawer. After the ten days someone will have to be notified that they need to retrieve the title, get someone with the authority to sign and likely notarize the Lein release, address and mail the title and only after the carrier delivers the package will the seller have the title in hand. All this needs to happen while employers are partially shut down and operating under COVID protocols. Three weeks is more likely than ten days.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
it certainly is common for the lender to retain the title until "the check clears". show a little patience, and how did the phillipines get into this discussion?
bumpy

Because SO many companies have seen fit to outsource their 'customer service' departments, and they end up offshore.

As a side note, once I find out that a US company doesn't care enough to have US-based customer service, I fervently look for another company to do business with. When I do encounter a US-based customer service department, I always thank them for caring enough about their customers, and for caring enough to keep jobs in the US.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe OP's frustration is compounded by the fact he's trying to arrange pickup and driving from SC to Georgia to pick up the rig. Saw earlier post about driving through Atlanta.

Trying to coordinate that, and still dealing with unknown dates from the bank, yeah, I would get frustrated too.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Don't give anybody a dime until you see the title. Period.

Saw a $10,000 cashiers check bounce from a guy in the Philippines.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Paying off a Bank note with a Cashiers Check will result in a 10 day hold. Both Chase and BofA have the same policy. Personal Check the same in regards to a deposit or Title pay off. All a Bank will do is state there are funds in the account, but will NOT gurantee that the Check will be honored until the 10 days have passed. Doug

That's why I always do a wire transfer now. Instant posting and settlement.:)
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Paying off a Bank note with a Cashiers Check will result in a 10 day hold. Both Chase and BofA have the same policy. Personal Check the same in regards to a deposit or Title pay off. All a Bank will do is state there are funds in the account, but will NOT gurantee that the Check will be honored until the 10 days have passed. Doug

Harrydavidson
Explorer
Explorer
The bigger the bank, the more red tape you go through.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Ally had the loan on a car of mine. It took them 2 weeks to send title after pay off. When I went to sell car a few years later, they had never notified the state the title was clear, so had to play phone tag for a few days to get the information transmitted to state.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI