Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

An American Tradition w/300hp cummins?

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
Hey good folks,
I'm interested in a 2000 '40 American Tradition with the 300hp cummins. It's got 75,000 miles on it and it's in pristine condition with a lot of upgrades. Is that a lot of miles for a 300hp cummins? Worth a serious look or pass on it? Price is $55,000.

~Thanks, John
16 REPLIES 16

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"stepdad"....If it was done over time, that wouldn't be unusual for someone to do. Sounds like a nice coach.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

deandec
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks Ed, that's good news. The 2000 American Tradition is one of a handful of diesel pushers we're considering in a couple months (spring-time).

~Best, John

The really good used rigs get purchased fairly quickly. If this is one, waiting a couple of months could find it sold.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
stepdad wrote:
DSDP Don wrote:
"stepdad".....The upgrades sound like something someone would do who intends to keep the coach. Did they say why they are now selling?

The 2000 American Tradition is at a dealership. The dealership says the previous owners took a lot of pride in ownership and did these upgrades over the years as money would allow.

Ask the dealership to put you in contact with the previous owner. Don't accept no for an answer. They can contact the owner and ask permission. I did that on a used car. Dealership wiggled and whined but rolled over. Talked to the previous owner who traded it and bought the car.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"stepdad".....The upgrades sound like something someone would do who intends to keep the coach. Did they say why they are now selling?

The 2000 American Tradition is at a dealership. The dealership says the previous owners took a lot of pride in ownership and did these upgrades over the years as money would allow.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
eheading wrote:
We put over 90,000 miles on a 2000 American Tradition equipped with the 300hp ISC engine. It was a great combination and provided excellent service for us. Not only that, but its grand fuel economy average for the total 90,000 miles was about 9.8 mpg. A lot better than our next motorhome that was equipped with a 9 liter CAT engine.

Ed Headington

Thanks Ed, that's good news. The 2000 American Tradition is one of a handful of diesel pushers we're considering in a couple months (spring-time).

~Best, John

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We put over 90,000 miles on a 2000 American Tradition equipped with the 300hp ISC engine. It was a great combination and provided excellent service for us. Not only that, but its grand fuel economy average for the total 90,000 miles was about 9.8 mpg. A lot better than our next motorhome that was equipped with a 9 liter CAT engine.

Ed Headington

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as the preventive maintenance was done, this sounds like a great buy. Good luck.

The Cummins 8.3 will outlast the coach. The engines can go 300,000 before Cummins recommends dropping the pan and checking the bearings, etc.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty impressed with the upgrades.:)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tires and roof condition are two important and expensive items on a 2000 coach.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks good folks for your replies, I appreciate it. Here are the upgrades;
1) New tile entry steps
2) Area above windshield completely redone including 42" Samsung flat HD TV w/sound bar
3) New cabinet added around TV
4) New MCD electric roller blinds everywhere
5) New tile back splash in galley
6) New stainless oven and stove top
7) New dinette and chairs that match cabinets
๐Ÿ˜Ž All plumbing faucets replaced with a more modern design
9) Combo washer/dryer added
10) New flat panel TV in bedroom
11) New carpet throughout
12) All new chrome handles to all exterior storage doors
13) Newer tires
The cummins is the 8.3L 300hp ISC with 950 ft lbs of torque. The exterior looks near new like it was covered it's whole life.

~Thanks, John

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, most with the ISC engine (and very likely it is the ISC not the mechanical C) had 325-350 HP and over 1000 lb-ft of torque.

But, for the FACTS on this particular engine, call Cummins with the engine serial number:

Cummins 800 343-7357
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
At 75K the engine is just getting broken-in.

The engine is an ISC (8.3 liter displacement) and I am surprised that it is only 300 HP as my older unit with the mechanical C8.3 engine was rated at 325HP.

The 8.3 liter engines have plenty of torque. I have never felt under-powered.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, it's about the right amount... 5K/year. Using these things is better than letting them sit. How many hours on the generator? At that price I'd expect it to have new tires and new TVs.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...