cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Ready Break Question

mathman
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Break Buddy systems and both have stop working. I am considering going to a Ready Break. I have a Sterling tow bar and if I go with the Ready Break will my safety cables and lighting cables be long enough?
Mathman

2015 Navion
15 REPLIES 15

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
What you don't want is your brake cables to break.

That said, you also don't want them to be too short that they bind somewhere along the line. Most cables are long enough. New safety cables are less than $50. Buy new ones and they will last you a lifetime...also buy the ReadySTOP while you're shopping. It's for everyone's safety...both items together will cost you less than 46 cents/day.....Dennis

READYSTOP was just 87.50 when I bought it and plenty enough to pay for what it is.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bigbaddad
Explorer
Explorer
You should be all set but to be completely comfortable call the ReadyBrake folks...great support, really know their stuff. As mentioned elsewhere get the ReadyStop break-away kit. You will be very glad to be done with the in-the-toad add on system.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Billinwoodland wrote:
mathman wrote:
I have two Break Buddy systems and both have stop working. I am considering going to a Ready Break. I have a Sterling tow bar and if I go with the Ready Break will my safety cables and lighting cables be long enough?

Call the Ready Brake folks and talk to them directly. Some tow bars require an adapter for the system to work properly. I needed one for my Blue Ox system.

He is talking about getting the Ready Brake to put in his hitch, then put his existing tow bar in the Ready Brake. He is not talking about replacing his tow bar with the Ready Brute Elite, which would require the proper adapters.

ON EDIT:

I went to the Ready Brake website and found what I think you are talking about. This adapter:

It is needed for Blue Ox, only. The OP has a Roadmaster tow bar.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
mathman wrote:

I use Brake Buddy with a Sterling.

My 14 year old BB has failed twice.

The second time I opened it up and was able to reconnect some wires and the air compressor. It is not very complicated inside the box and the manfacturer repair was not durable.

Might be worth a look inside.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
mathman wrote:

Call the Ready Brake folks and talk to them directly. Some tow bars require an adapter for the system to work properly. I needed one for my Blue Ox system.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:
:B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III

That said, you also don't want them to be too short that they bind somewhere along the line. Most cables are long enough. New safety cables are less than $50. Buy new ones and they will last you a lifetime...also buy the ReadySTOP while you're shopping. It's for everyone's safety...both items together will cost you less than 46 cents/day.....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like math is your strong subject.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mathman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your prompt replies. I am sorry 2oldman my spelling is awful.
Mathman

2015 Navion

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Roadmaster cables and wiring would be OK. They are currently used with a drop down which adds about 1'.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
My coiled cables have more than enough range with my ReadyBrake and Demco towbar.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The ReadyBrake add-on unit adds about a foot to your tow bar length. If your cables have that much extra stretch in them you should be fine.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
mathman wrote:

My best guess is they will be long enough. I had to add a drop/riser adapter and it is also a extender. Bottom line is I added probably 18" more distance for cables and they all still work fine.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
brake
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman