cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Started to look into some water damage in the kitchen of our 83 Pace Arrow. The more I looked, the more I found. I have some pics of the damage so far. Anyone interested in following a rebuild thread?
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.
8,452 REPLIES 8,452

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
cruising spud wrote:
fulltimin,

I don't post often, but I do sneak a peak at your progress every day. May I just say-I am always impressed with your "sticktoitiveness." Thank you for sharing your progress with us.

Thank you for the kind words, and for following. I am not sure if I am dedicated, not smart enough to quit, or just plain crazy! LOL!

Preacher_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question, how will you install whatever the outside skin will be with the windows already installed?

BTW, I've been watching this thread from the beginning, very impressive.
Mark Walter
J-Angel Productions
Web and Media Company
2004 Sportscoach LE 376 DS
Cat 3126E, Allison 3000

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimin,

I don't post often, but I do sneak a peak at your progress every day. May I just say-I am always impressed with your "sticktoitiveness." Thank you for sharing your progress with us.
Kathy

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
In the meantime, I need to update the spreadsheet, again.

I bought a single can of the Great Stuff Pro Gaps & Cracks foam, along with the gun cleaner.

Together, both of these cost me $18.70, tax included. Thanks, Lowes!

Adding that to our prior total of $6754.50 and our new grand total is now, (drum roll ....), $6773.20

That's our update for tonight!

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
After using more ChemLink, I put the plywood in place and used a few pieces of thicker plywood, with a few screws in each to hold the inner plywood in place until the ChemLink cures.

Red arrows indicate the thicker plywood with the screws. I'll remove them tomorrow, and we'll be all set to begin adding the wall plywood, after purchasing it, of course!

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Next step was to cut out a piece of plywood to fit around the window, and bring the area under this plywood to the same thickness as the rest of the wall.

This piece of plywood matches the inside of the window frame very well. so it is good to go.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
What a letdown this pic is compared to the last one! Lol.

Bought my can of spray foam this morning, and foamed in the cracks and crevices around the rear window, and let it cure.

This afternoon I began cutting off the excess, so I can finish up the area and get ready to install the inner wall covering. Yay! Seems like this took forever.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Here is a picture into the future.

Instead of restoring this Pace Arrow to it's original glory, I intend to go a slightly different direction.

Here is a picture of something I have been kicking around for a while, and I think I will do this, or something very similar.

Before you tell me it has no value, well, maybe not to you, but it does to me, and I think it will to some others.

Almost anyone could do this with a little equipment, some time, and materials.

I have to build cabinets, so I might as well build something that looks good, and that I like.

This was in a van build, and is made of maple and purpleheart. I like the looks of this, and want to do something similar to this during the build.

I may use purpleheart inlay, or for the outside of the frames. Haven't decided yet, but I really like this, for the colors and the contrast. The wife really likes this as well, so that is a plus.

Now, nearly anyone can make cabinet doors and replace what they have with something that is custom made. The cabinets themselves do not have to be changed, or could be covered with thin veneer, and replace the doors, with new hardware, which would completely change the look of their interior.

I'm betting, most of us would rather have something like this installed rather than the "original glory". Just my opinion, you may disagree.

Told ya there were some surprises coming!

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Ok, for a change, I'm not going to tell you where I was today, (Monday), not going to tell you what I was doing, nor what time I got home. There, is that all better now? Lol.

Anyhow, I did add some additional plywood to strengthen the area around the rear window, (green arrows), as well as some insulation, red arrows.

There are a few cracks that I will add spray foam insulation to, in order to fill in those cracks.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
PastorCharlie wrote:
Workman Comp?

Nope, just a whip crack and a voice saying "keep workin'".

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
fulltimin wrote:
Life lesson for the day.

If you are going to put clamps near the entryway, make sure the end of said clamp, is not is a position that you can walk into with your head! Lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

This is one of those times that experience came from bad judgement!

Now there's an experience I don't need any help learning! It seems I can't do any work on the RV (especially working under the coach) without a big gash in my head somewhere!

Fortunately, there was no blood running. Just a lump and red spot. I did move the clamp immediately, though. That was kind of a no brainer. Lol.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Workman Comp?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
fulltimin wrote:
Life lesson for the day.

If you are going to put clamps near the entryway, make sure the end of said clamp, is not is a position that you can walk into with your head! Lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now there's an experience I don't need any help learning! It seems I can't do any work on the RV (especially working under the coach) without a big gash in my head somewhere!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Life lesson for the day.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Or maybe "Snore House" based upon the speed at which this thread is progressing.
Sorry, I just expected something closer to a thread about how to bring an old RV back to its original splendor. This thread is anything but that!

No original splendor here. Early on I said the wife wanted something inside that looked more like a house than an rv.

That is exactly the direction I have been, and will be, continuing to head towards.

Along with that I have, and will be, showing some of the techniques that I use to accomplish those goals.

Perhaps I should name this W.P.D. Watching Paint Dry!