cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

RGordon
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, should have gotten a diesel rig and at the time thought that it would be no problem to upgrade to a diesel from a gasser. Little did I know that I would have take a tremendous financial loss to accomplish this. I have tried to upgrade but just cannot give away a like new 2002 gasser.
Ron & Libby Gordon
07 Ford F350 Dually Tow Boss Diesel
07 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #3698
02 Winnebago Adventurer 35U V10 (Former RV)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow

BabyBear
Explorer
Explorer
Hah! New to these boards,and by the time I registered to post I couldn't find this thread.

Anyhow,I am fairly certain I must have made some mistakes. I just bought my first motor home a couple of days ago,and had never even ridden in one before.I bought a 1984 30 foot Fleetwood Southwind for $4,000. It has 69,000 miles on it and is supposed to be in good overall condition with no known problems other than the two "house batteries"

I've been reading the forum and learning a lot,but my prime concerns right now are about internet access while on the road,and what to do about getting my mail forwarded. I plan on living in it all spring and summer next year,and believe in planning ahead. I have seen suggestions about WiFi for internet connection,but nobody seems interested in dumbing this down to a level where I understand what the hell they are talking about.

garryp
Explorer
Explorer
"Of course, we're too big to stay at nice quiet and spacious state parks for 16 dollars a night"

Sometimes I agree with you. But approaching fulltime, I am afraid that a popup would become trying. Again, there are some really nice pop-ups compared to the one I had 30 years ago!

Size is a problem. Needless to say, I really hate the 20- foot commercial lots. But I have found that by scouting parks I can find drycamping state and Nat. Forest Service parks that I can park in, even when the brochure says 28 ft limit. I scout around, always stop and ask the camp host before daring to drive in. To do otherwise can put you into a very difficult navigation situation. the host sees rigs in and out every day, and knows what is and is not possible.

Now, the $16.00 (I usually pay $0, $12, or $14) is a little steep. But you have to understand that the Nat. Park Service and the Nat. Forest Service are becoming profit centers instead of protectors of the lands for public use. They like to close campgrounds that are not making a profit, and refuse to spend any money on older campgrounds that are becoming a little ragged on the edges. That is abominable. They have drifted far from their original charter, becoming another greedy government bureaucracy.

Commentator: garryp now leaves his soapbox.
Travel Blog | Current Location | The Barth | Places Visited | 2007 Travels

"Now, listen, you don't go any one special place. That's cornball style. You just go."
-- Johnny in the movie The Wild One

garryp
Explorer
Explorer
Budget/cost I coulda done a lot better.

Lifestyle I did ok. Solo traveler w/ dog, so I did not need the hassle of slides and their maintenance. I added Datastorm and computers, smaller portable EU2000 to supplement the monster diesel 10,000 watt genset (reasons: noise and efficiency), removed chair to make room for a computer desk, added a Wave6 catalytic heater, since I had electric stove added portable gas stove/broiler for non-electric use, added a Trimetric battery monitor, added XM radio, moved Dish equipment from house, and away I go. Could I have bought the unit with each of those features? Highly unlikely. And each of them is high on my list of needs.

Moral? Plan ahead of time any budget likely required to upgrade to your detail requirements, then buy the basic platform that matches size and budget of your lifestyle. Do not expect to get one out the shoot exactly as desired.

Notes for the LookyLou:
* I put the extra gas stove in the bay if not needed, on the dining table if needed, since there is only me to eat.
* I knew I would spend the $$$ for Datastorm before I bought.
* Wav 6 ((Wave 8 is a little too big) works great, much better than the noisy and inefficient furnace. In cool weather I shut door between rear and front, and place the heater where ever I am (back to sleep, front to do otherwise). And if you use the very small vent recommendations of the manufacturer, they are safe. I sleep with mine on.
* Regarding catalytic heaters, be wary of those with ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor). They may not work above 7,000 feet due to the thin air, which rules out the most beautiful parts of the West.
* I do not know how people survive without a battery monitor like the Trimetric or equivalent.
* If one is going to do extensive computer work, make necessary changes. Do not try to do it from your lap sitting on a sofa. That will drive you nuts if you are on the road for extended periods.
* And by all means, if you camp without hookups a lot, buy an enamel kettle to heat water on the gas range instead of the less efficient 10 gal water heater.
* And finally, do not buy without first checking propane tank capacity. I think that is easy to overlook. I have a 47 gal tank, and it is so nice to not have to search for accessible propane every time I move.

Darn, I didn't mean to say all that!
Travel Blog | Current Location | The Barth | Places Visited | 2007 Travels

"Now, listen, you don't go any one special place. That's cornball style. You just go."
-- Johnny in the movie The Wild One

bcthunder
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded from a 26' trailor to our '99 35' Georgie Boy Cruisemaster gas last year and have been happy with our decision. I think the decision to go MH was definitely the right one for us. We have our own business so long Holidays are tough to do so we committed to go every 2nd or 3rd week for 3-4 days and we have done it! No hitching,cranking etc. is awesome.

The one previous owner added a lot factory options so we think we got a good deal. After a year of frequent short trips we have had a few minor mechanical issues but nothing serious. We think we will have this MH for a while and just see what happens.

As others have said, our mistake was not doing it sooner.
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 * Allison 4060
Aventa 2 * US Gear * Jeep GCL

carolrich
Explorer
Explorer
AS I see it, that's why there are so many choices for all of us. Glad you found what suits you best and still have your sense of humor.

theyngones
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, ours was a big time trip to the dark side. We had a small pop-up. Decided we would like to travel more and longer so we got a class a. We found a nice used one. The owner paid 120,000. Five years and six thousand miles later we got it for 53,000. After paying 12,000 in taxes, waranties and insurance we took it out for a trip. Then we needed a vehicle to tow s we could stop for roadside peanuts, another 14,000 for a used car and tow set-up. We got six miles to the gallon. Needed walkie talkies to park it. Of course, we're too big to stay at nice quiet and spacious state parks for 16 dollars a night, We now stay at RV resorts in 20 foot wide parking lots using a discount club card for 30 dollars a night listening to ATV's roaring. Hey, the best part, the screening on the class a lets the no-sums in, so instead of enjoying the sounds and coolness of our night conversations, we're in this box staring at satelite tv with the air conditioning droning all night.

Well needless to say, the class a feels like a gaudy, ill fitted suit. Sold it finally after two months for 50,000. Got a nice used popper and we're back from the dark side, 32,000 poorer. We may get a little damp now and then but not soaked.
TheYngOnes - Newbees May 2005
2000 Thor Infinity
2002 Saturn LW 300 Toad by Blue Ox Aventa II

weinturv
Explorer
Explorer
I love this site. We all have such good information to share.

Just bought our first MH, 7-15-05, upgraded from a TT. This is our fourth RV and upgraded each time. It is at the dealer now for tweaking...and I gave them hell for not doing a complete pre-delivery inspection..come on - brights not working...basement lights not working...and 10 other items.

I already see some things that we should have gotten perhaps from a different manufacturer, but of course cost was a factor...and we are not full timing...we weighed many things... it meets our needs. And she already has a name...Karen Sue
Cindy and Company (Na, and constant pals - Lady and Jodie)
2013 Winnebago Vista 27N
Blue Ox Aventa II, Brake Buddy
toad 2011 CRV

Ryan87
Explorer
Explorer
Our first purchase (Current RV) is a 87 24' class C.
We've had it for over a year, and used it 7 times. We just got a $900 brake job, and $300 in tune up and head cover gaskets. The size is great for the two of us and our little dog, but seams like any other toys, maintenance is $$. We are thinking of buyin a 20'-24' TT so we don't have the DMV costs, insurance, and maintenance costs. Has been a learning experience, but we are hooked and want to buy something where we do not have to watch the gages when driving. I would recommend buying something a little newer than the 87. Some of the newer model interiors are more functional than the old. We are looking forward to taking out again soon, or buying/trading for a TT.
Good Luck!

paemtp
Explorer
Explorer
Been there...done that! Bought a 2003 HR Admiral 36 WDD on Workhorse Chassis. Now, we are closing a deal on an 05 HR Endeavor 40 DST.

Should have gone with the DP to begin with, but I (being a typical male) could not wait and do more research. I just had to get into a Class A. After 2 years and 9000 miles the DP is the answer for us. We have a Chevy Tahoe to tow, and there was NO WAY I would even consider doing it with the Workhorse.

Considering the negative equity position we are in now, it would have made more sense to spend more in the beginning to get what was optimal for our needs.

Houndog101
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! Waited to darn long to do it!!
No regrets, our Fleetwood, Pace Arrow Vision is perfect for us..Its well built and has plenty CCC for our needs..

Its a 98 , 36.6 ft, like new condition, in and out..
98 Pace Arrow Vision,F53, 37', 2 slides, Gibson, TransCommand

Breed, raise, show Bloodhounds

HappySimbas
Explorer
Explorer
We've had Pop-Ups, TT, and MH's. I'll focus on MH's...

Our first MH was a 37' Class A gasser. It's a beautiful, well constructed, MH with good amenities and living space. The mistake was not the manufacturer or the "house" itself (we loved the floorplan). The mistake was that we purchased a gasser with an inappropriately sized house for the chassis. So the handling and the ride was very sub-par. I ended up spending more money to correct the steering and handling problems. But even with that solved, my CCC went to hell(because of all the after-market add-ons which added more weight to the coach), and the ride quality was stilll like that of a U-Haul moving truck.

As much as we loved the house itself, I didn't like the fact I didn't have much CCC to spare and the MH still rode like a U-Haul.

So we moved to our new DP after a year. No regrets what-so-ever.
Ben, Autumn, Nathan, and Joey
FMCA F348063
2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ
2008 Honda CR-V EX Toad
:B

Poppa_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Talked into buying a "new" rig because it was a better deal overall money wise,instead of the 4 year old one I fell in love with, didn't know jack about rvs other than after 25 years tenting the wife said "Im not sleeping on the ground again". On the drive home,in my brand new, !#@#$%$%$%^, the light shining on the table fell off the wall. It was gone in six months because I was headed for my 3rd divorce if I told my DW one more time, "it's covered under the warranty". Truth be told, I should have turned around and told them what I realized on that first night that it was a POS....nice thing is, the dealer agreed after awhile it was a lemon, took it back and put me in a wonderful rig....
You ain't lived until you go [COLOR=]170+ on two wheels!!! :BDIGITAL CERTIFIED:E

BradShaw75
Explorer
Explorer
We bought out of state, saved a good bit and enjoyed the drive back. BUT, getting service here is a nightmare.

Catdave
Explorer
Explorer
Question: "Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?"
Answer: That's simple- YES! We bought a gasser when we should've bought a DP.

Dave
2006 Fleetwood Excursion 39L