cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arizona and AC

Mrblueeyes2020
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Arizona , where Nevada , California and Arizona come together. The summer heat has started as it was 115 hear today.

My question is , my rooftop Ac unit seems to be struggling to keep up to wear it starts blowing warm air. At night and in the morning it runs great and will freeze you out , there is no shade trees here as it's the Desert , would putting a reflective cover over my AC unit help to keep the air flowing cold ?
18 REPLIES 18

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We RV in Palm Desert, Parker River and Canyon Lake so we ended up installing a second roof air and it solved the problem. So nice having two airs running.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
tempforce wrote:
when overing a summer in az. I installed the largest window a/c unit I could find. to help my rooftop unit. the place still got hot.. I found that by using another window, I could just use a swamp cooler while I was gone and at night. then seal up the cooler during the heat of the day and just use the ac units... wasn't a pleasant summer..
if/when I replace my old rv. I will be downsizing. but will have twin a/c units and add an extra 1-2" of insulation installed in or on the roof. even if I have to have it done by a non dealer source.

For a summer in AZ I'd definitely want my RV kept in the shade for another reason besides keeping it cool insidie. The sun's heat and UV rays are VERY HARD on RV exteriors - drying, cracking, and generally breaking down every exterior thing - of course including the paint, rubber seals, and chemical sealants.

It's too bad large SW U.S. solar farms don't mount their panels up high off the ground and then set up RV parks underneath the panels so RV'ers could both camp in the shade and pay for less expensive electrical power.

Actually, the KOA in Tucson has a large section that is under solar panel canopies. Obviously, that section is more popular in the summer than the winter. Also, many of the RV storage lots are under solar panel cover as well. There is another new one being built that is supposed to be open next month, but I drove past yesterday and it looks like they were delayed and are a long way from completion.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
tempforce wrote:
when overing a summer in az. I installed the largest window a/c unit I could find. to help my rooftop unit. the place still got hot.. I found that by using another window, I could just use a swamp cooler while I was gone and at night. then seal up the cooler during the heat of the day and just use the ac units... wasn't a pleasant summer..
if/when I replace my old rv. I will be downsizing. but will have twin a/c units and add an extra 1-2" of insulation installed in or on the roof. even if I have to have it done by a non dealer source.

For a summer in AZ I'd definitely want my RV kept in the shade for another reason besides keeping it cool insidie. The sun's heat and UV rays are VERY HARD on RV exteriors - drying, cracking, and generally breaking down every exterior thing - of course including the paint, rubber seals, and chemical sealants.

It's too bad large SW U.S. solar farms don't mount their panels up high off the ground and then set up RV parks underneath the panels so RV'ers could both camp in the shade and pay for less expensive electrical power.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generally you need to park in the shade and/or add a second A/C unit. I would skip the portable except as a last resort.

Although do check the evaporator for ice when it seems to be blowing warm air. If you have a wall thermostat you should see a freeze sensor... make sure it is placed right on the evaporator. These freeze sensors are notorious for being improperly installed or to fall away from the right position. Also check the lower plenum divider is properly positioned and sealed to separate the air in vs air out. This can all be checked by removing the lower trim pieces inside the RV.

You should allow the air to run continuous 24/7 in these conditions. It is just a machine, it does not get tired or need a nap.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
We camp in that type of heat. A fan inside the trailer really helps. ALso you cant play catch up. Crank that sucker early in the morning. Open cabinets because they are giant heat sinks.

Ive seen a video about modifying the a/c cover. On the back are vents but they are restrictive. Some people cut them to allow more airflow. On my friends 2001 toyhauler the back of the a/c cover is completely open. Could be damaged in hail. I guess thats how that particular model was made back then.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another thing that can help when it gets really hot is to shut the vents to the bedroom & bathroom so all the cool air is focused on the main living area.

A 2nd portable Air/Con can help but if you have a 30amp rig, powering it can be a problem. Do you have a second outlet on the power pedestal that you can connect it to?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it is 115 I head for the mountains. When it is 100 I head for the mountains. Same thing when it is 90. I almost never need AC except when traveling for one night.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Head towards Flagstaff. The higher yu can get, the better. Even Kingman is 20* cooler than where you are (95* high).

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it’s 115 outside the best you’re gonna get inside is mid to high 90’s and that’s the air coming out of the AC unit. Your awning will help keep the sun off of one side of the RV, put Reflectix in every window, line each external wall mounted cabinet with it, and go find shade( in a northern state).
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
only way to keep a unit cool in that heat is to keep the sun off, add roof insulation or a reflective surface. just as a note, if you buy a new unit, have them install a extra layer of roof insulation and a reflective barrier.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
RVs are not built for temp extremes, high or low. They are built to move. You either need to get out of Arizona or get into a house or apartment. I was in Georgetown, TX last month and it was starting to get into the 90s. So I got out of Georgetown and now I'm in cooler NW Arkansas, but next month it will start getting sticky here. That's why RVs have wheels.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Mrblueeyes2020
Explorer
Explorer
I live in a house , was cooking the RV off getting it ready for the wife's birthday weekend next weekend . I'm thinking about getting a portable AC unit and hopefully that will help cool it off as well . Thank you all for your input ,it is greatly appreciated .

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Secure your RV and move into an apartment for the summer, especially if all you have is one A/C. Perhaps you could add a second A/C. And remember that your RV is poorly insulated, not much better than a Coleman cooler. Stick and bricks have, what, at least 6" of insulation? Your RV has maybe 2" styrofoam? Are your windows double pane? I've got 3 A/C and they struggle. Sad to say most if not all RV's aren't made for extreme heat.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE