cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary Brake System Reviews

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Not looking to start any discussion here but Shopping for an auxiliary brake system for a toad that will be under 5000 pounds.
Does anyone have a link to some reviews ?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
10 REPLIES 10

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the info. Lots to learn about for someone contemplating a switch to class A.
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
From RV Share

This pretty much covers everything.

Thanks, great info especially the second link.
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another satisfied Readybrute user since 2004.

Lifetime warranty. One of my actuators broke a few months back. Sent it in and they completely rebuilt and replaced all moving parts and painted it. Looks like new.

$0.00. Even paid return shipping.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with an integrated ReadyBrake system for about 10 years so far, and have been very happy with it. The ReadyBrake system is available as a stand alone unit that works with any tow bar, and is simple mechanical system with few failure points and no electronics. Since it's a surge system, it only applies the amount of braking needed to unload the weight of the toad from the RV when stopping.

www.readybrake.com
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Blue Ox; latest newest one, I think. Tow a Focus behind a Class C. Really like the smoothness with which it brakes. No jerking or uneven braking. Also, it's wirelessly connected to the MH. It is expensive and not real quick to hook up but then I have nothing to compare it to. Still, I would recommend it.
Jayco-noslide

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using a Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060 to tow our 2004 Jeep Wrangler (tJ) behind our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 32H.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/brakemaster/brake_m.html

We used the same system to tow the Jeep behind our 2001 Winnebafo Adventurer 32V. We chose it because it provides proportional braking and the only part to install or remove is an air cylinder in the Jeep.

It's been an excellent system for our application. The only downside is the time it takes do do the initial installation. If you have the system professinally installed I would guess it would take between 8 and 10 hours to do both the Jeep and the motorhome. In our case I spent 3 days doing the install. Rather than run the wires along side the existiong wiring harnesses I opened each of them and ran the wires along side the others inside the harnesses. The installation is seamless and there are no exposed wires anywhere in or under the coach or in or under the Jeep.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
From RV Share

This pretty much covers everything.

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaning towards a Jeep Wrangler behind a Tiffin Alegro Breeze 33BR or possibly a Red.
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Also, what sort of tow bars do you have? I use the ready brut elite with integrated mechanical braking system. Nothing to remove each time and no electrics or air system to fail as it's all mechanical.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Much of the answer will depend on WHAT toad you have.

Some very good systems only fit on certain makes/models because of clearance issues.

Another issue is how often you change toads. If keeping it for a long time, installing a permanently mounted system makes a lot more sense than if you change toads frequently.

Let us know both what toad and what coach you will be using the braking system on and we can give much better advice.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/