cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Average or Common Markdown % off MSRP on Used Motorhomes

DieselDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market to purchase a nice USED 2008 or newer class A motorhome and would like to find out where the best used dealers are and how much if any % of mark down from the advertised prices? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Buying/selling an RV is just like any other major purchase. Supply and demand over time sets the price. Buyer/seller motivation is also key. No professional salesperson in their right mind would cut the price of anything when the phone is ringing off the hook (showing interest) at the advertised price. (usually the price goes up when this happens) If any product sits around for too long, then the price starts dropping until it sells. It's really that simple.

Chum lee

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I check the RV for sale sites for like models and see what they are selling for. Used RV's are will only be worth what the buying public will pay for them. Some Mfgr's units are worth more than others. You can't tell what a dealer paid for the RV. I bought my present Dutch Star from a private party when it was 2 yrs old and would buy the same way again.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
hostage wrote:
zekethomas253 wrote:
Be careful what you buy these days. Diesels 2008 or older are much less complicated. The newer ones are all DEF after the EPA went after diesel. Most end up in the shop twice a year.
I am leaving a 2009 Mercedes diesel getting 18MPG (24' LTV) 123,000 miles and going to gas in a 2015. Cannot buy a new diesel after DEF. Check with the mechanics who work on them, they will tell you DEF is a disaster for class 8 trucks to Sprinters.

I am going to miss my 18 mpg to be lucky to get 8, but gas is the way for me now after trying to find places to work on diesels and getting the work done reasonably.

actually its around 2006 early 2007 I have a nov 2007(called a 2008)
and its full electronic controlled air pollution controls with the DPF muffler system that regens etc etc . I had to take it in once for a forced regen that cost $50 cash no big deal have had it for 7 years and only the one DPF system problem. had a turbo actuator problem but that's not DPF related

I have an early 06 engine and the last of the slobber tubes for over the road. No DPF, DEF or much of anything else. It is an ACERT engine with a HUEI pump and guess the jury is still out on that. Runs great with plenty of power, but then it's only at 42K miles, so.........
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
zekethomas253 wrote:
Be careful what you buy these days. Diesels 2008 or older are much less complicated. The newer ones are all DEF after the EPA went after diesel. Most end up in the shop twice a year.
I am leaving a 2009 Mercedes diesel getting 18MPG (24' LTV) 123,000 miles and going to gas in a 2015. Cannot buy a new diesel after DEF. Check with the mechanics who work on them, they will tell you DEF is a disaster for class 8 trucks to Sprinters.

I am going to miss my 18 mpg to be lucky to get 8, but gas is the way for me now after trying to find places to work on diesels and getting the work done reasonably.

actually its around late 2006 early 2007 I have a nov 2007(called a 2008)
and its full electronic controlled air pollution controls with the DPF muffler system that regens etc etc . I had to take it in once for a forced regen that cost $50 cash no big deal have had it for 7 years and only the one DPF system problem. had a turbo actuator problem but that's not DPF related

zekethomas253
Explorer
Explorer

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
CVD wrote:
Looking at tread title (average markdown on used coach); Iโ€™ll throw out an approach Iโ€™ve been thinking about. Not 100% sure itโ€™s reasonable, but Iโ€™d like to hear what others think.

Assumptions
1) You know original MSRP, which includes options
2) Original purchase was for 75% of that MSRP (25% discount)
3) Coach depreciated 40% in first 5 years, 60 % in 10 years.

To calculate a fair value, simply subtract 25% from MSRP to reflect the likely original purchase price, then subtract 40% from that value for a 5 yr old coach (60% for a 10 yr old coach)

Sample calculation: 5 yr old coach ($100k optioned MSRP)

100k โ€“ 25k = 75k, 75k * (1 - 40%) = 45k value

Same coach, 10 yrs old:
100k โ€“ 25k = 75k, 75k * (1- 60%) = 30k value

Disclaimer 1:I believe a more accurate yearly depreciation scale would be year 1: 15%, year 2 โ€“ 5: 10%, year 5 โ€“ 10: 5%, year 11 โ€“ 20: 2.5%. But for ball park discussion, Iโ€™ll propose 40% depreciation after 5 years, 60% after 10 years.

Disclaimer 2: This is a ball park, โ€œsanity checkโ€ technique. It ignores trade in value vs. resale value (letโ€™s assume this is a โ€œprivate party valueโ€ calculator). It also ignores that some brands and types hold value better than others, geographic differences, etc.

I like it. I have used a similar formula in helping others buy a used coach.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"CVD".....I don't think your equation will work for a few reasons. Too many variables in RV's from a loaded coach to a stripped down model. In my situation, the sales of my coach, brand and model, boomed after I bought it. I've had very little loss in depreciation. On the flip side, base model coaches and those perceived to be problematic can drop like a rock compared to others.

I've ALWAYS found the best way to determine price is to find similar coaches and average them out. You can usually get pretty close to what they're worth by looking at many coahces, including similar designs and years, even in different brands. As an example, 2005 Class A gassers in the 32' range will be pretty similar, since they all have the same chassis.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
DieselDriver wrote:
I am in the market to purchase a nice USED 2008 or newer class A motorhome and would like to find out where the best used dealers are and how much if any % of mark down from the advertised prices? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

NADA isn't a bible, but it can give one a good idea after researching asking prices, so if you can purchase a nice one for about 10 - 15% under low retail, you've probably done a little better, than alright.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at tread title (average markdown on used coach); Iโ€™ll throw out an approach Iโ€™ve been thinking about. Not 100% sure itโ€™s reasonable, but Iโ€™d like to hear what others think.

Assumptions
1) You know original MSRP, which includes options
2) Original purchase was for 75% of that MSRP (25% discount)
3) Coach depreciated 40% in first 5 years, 60 % in 10 years.

To calculate a fair value, simply subtract 25% from MSRP to reflect the likely original purchase price, then subtract 40% from that value for a 5 yr old coach (60% for a 10 yr old coach)

Sample calculation: 5 yr old coach ($100k optioned MSRP)

100k โ€“ 25k = 75k, 75k * (1 - 40%) = 45k value

Same coach, 10 yrs old:
100k โ€“ 25k = 75k, 75k * (1- 60%) = 30k value

Disclaimer 1:I believe a more accurate yearly depreciation scale would be year 1: 15%, year 2 โ€“ 5: 10%, year 5 โ€“ 10: 5%, year 11 โ€“ 20: 2.5%. But for ball park discussion, Iโ€™ll propose 40% depreciation after 5 years, 60% after 10 years.

Disclaimer 2: This is a ball park, โ€œsanity checkโ€ technique. It ignores trade in value vs. resale value (letโ€™s assume this is a โ€œprivate party valueโ€ calculator). It also ignores that some brands and types hold value better than others, geographic differences, etc.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
If you like no-hassle browsing, PPL has three lots in Texas. The coaches are unlocked during the day, and you are free to browse to your heart's content.

I don't know if it would be worth the trip for you though.

We were able to negotiate a little over $2 on our purchase.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The problem people have with USED RV's and Cars is simple. NOBODY, but the Dealer knows what HE actually paid for that used vehicle. So, you cannot try to find an Invoice price or such. Depending on the previous deal, he could have purchased that vehicle for 50% of what he is selling it for. The only thing you can do, is, check what similar Rv's are selling for around the area and negotiate from there. Doug

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on what brand, what model, location of the coach, time of year, you are looking to buy.

Might as well add the phase of the moon to the equation.

Summrbrzz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lazy Days Tampa will negotiate.
Summrbrz
2008 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV 44' Tag, Cummins 425hp, Onan, Roadmaster
2017 Ford Explorer 4WD toad

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
DieselDriver wrote:

http://www.mhsrv.com/ have best prices but they can be scum bags to deal with so be carefull