cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avg length of travel? Not really a tow'd question

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Couple questions for the full timer class A folks. I'm starting to see the reality of retirement and hopefully full timing. I have no type of RV yet and we have a new minivan. So when considering a class A, it would probably be a gasser due to cost and likely be financed (I simply do not have, or will have $100K cash). But I can afford the payments and still have a good budget for the adventure. But since I will have a payment on that, I sort of wanted to see if I can go without buying a car to tow.
So here is an idea of mine (they are not always very good). I was thinking one of us could drive the minivan and one will drive the RV. I realize this takes away from the whole co-pilot help/conversation thing, but a little separation may not be so bad.;) My question is, how far do you drive from place to place? 6 hrs? 8 hrs? I don't plan on camping in Fl, then Ma, then La, then Ohio. I was thinking a more orderly path and not bounce around.
Has anyone considered the separate vehicle option. The minivan is really nice around town and will only have about 50K on it when we start.
Did I make sense? Thanks for any input!!
23 REPLIES 23

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
We try to drive no more than 4 hours in a day. If possible we drive only 2 to 3 hours when we move. We may travel 3 or 4 days and then we will lay over for a few days and view the surrounding area.

Our first MH was a 20' class C and we didn't need to tow a car. You mentioned fulltimeing so you will want something longer. My wife has driven our Dodge Durango when we wanted to take our six grandchildren and all their gear camping. I prefer having her in the MH helping me navigate.

Safe Travels. JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Smalley
Explorer
Explorer
Been reading all the advice on Tow or drive a car. I myself have a Class A Bounder 2012 33C and I put my Minnie van 2008 Town & Country Chrysler on a kar kady it has a weight shifting break on it. I can put any kind of car behind and take it. Has it pros and cons but think the pros out way the cons. I don't have to worry about breaking and it is good in all states. Let me say also that I don't load my car up that I am pulling also. I must also agree with a few that stated, I am in no big hurry in getting any place since I am also retired and the fact is after 26+ years in the Military I got my RV to spend time with the one that rides in the co-pilots seat. Not to mention seeing places together we have not seen.
Happy Rving my friend you deserved every bit of it along with all our RV neighbors hope to see ya on the road soon.

Jimmy Smalley
Part time RV er
Full time retired.

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. I will mentally debate this some more even though I lose all the time.

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
We are in our sixth year full timing and like Old Biscuit above, we do pretty much the same. We average about 20,000 miles a year. Driving two vehicles will get old quickly. Also, the added cost of driving that second vehicle will far outweigh what you'd pay for a decent car to tow, to say nothing of the extra wear and tear on the driver....sell the mini and get a toad...Dennis

X2 Dennis is right, imo...

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill/Diana,

I have never seen a minivan being towed by a gas MH. The minivan is going to exceed the MH capabilities.

Our minivan doesn't. 🙂 It weighs in at 4,460 lbs., fully loaded it and our rig weigh in around 25,500-25,900, under the 26,000 lb. GCWR. Also under all axle weight limits and GVWR.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about the toad now. You've got a couple of years before you will need one. By then, there may be vehicles available that's aren't now, and vehicles that can be towed now may not be towable in future model years.

If you need a minivan, however, I can highly recommend a 2004 and earlier Honda Odyssey Minivan. Flat towable, lots of space and if you get the right gasser, you can stay within weight limits.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Does the OP currently have a camper?

I have never seen a minivan being towed by a gas MH. The minivan is going to exceed the MH capabilities.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
We are in our sixth year full timing and like Old Biscuit above, we do pretty much the same. We average about 20,000 miles a year. Driving two vehicles will get old quickly. Also, the added cost of driving that second vehicle will far outweigh what you'd pay for a decent car to tow, to say nothing of the extra wear and tear on the driver....sell the mini and get a toad...Dennis

I agree with Dennis 100%.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
having and towing a toad four down isn't a big deal. Very easy to hook up and go. I would not want to travel following the RV. I am the copilot and having to drive another vehicle would take away from the fun of the trip! Besides who would get up and get the drive a cold beverage? He would never go for that! LOL
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I forgot to mention that an entry level diesel pusher might only have a 5,000 lb. tow rating.

A Tiffin Breeze comes to mind (4,000 lbs. for the 28 ft., 4,500 lbs. for the 32 ft.). Don't assume that just because it's a diesel pusher that it has a high tow rating.

And, to answer your original question... No, we don't drive separately unless I'm taking the coach from storage to a RV park near the house for loading, etc. (maybe 20 miles).

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
When we first got our rig, we drove separately because we had a 7500lb F250. We sold the truck for a jeep and drove down to FL from DC to get the tow bar etc. installed. So we spent about a month driving separately. We also now occasionally drive separately but only very small jumps - under 50 miles.

The driving is much better with 2 in the rig towing the car. Our shortest jump was 11 miles and longest was 400. Given the choice, I would not choose to drive separately - it is just a lot more hassle.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second what Mark is saying. I would look at a older DP and have a higher tow rating and a much lower payment. You can find a pretty nice unit for less then 100K if you don to need 4 slides. In fact you can get more tankage and storage space and a better ride and higher towing rating.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'd find that most full-timers do not put in long driving days. 4-6 hours would be tops. Plus, most do not move that distance every day. They'll stay a while. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
lcseds wrote:
...My question is, how far do you drive from place to place? 6 hrs? 8 hrs? I don't plan on camping in Fl, then Ma, then La, then Ohio. I was thinking a more orderly path and not bounce around...

our average travel day is 5-hrs...2-hrs in the morning, 1-hr stop for lunch/gas and 2-hrs of afternoon driving. we try to be in a campground or park for the night by 3.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, JMHO Retirement couple, full timing, and driving separately in two vehicles just don't go together. Not to mention 2x the gas and real boring lonely driving for each. Nothing worse than following someone down the interstate for hours on end.

Sell the minivan and use part of the money for an inexpensive light weight 'used' car towable 4 down. You don't even know right now if you even want or need to tow a toad.

That's what I did when I wasn't sure about a toad. I Bought the lightest used little Tracker I could find. Ended up loving the car and towing it. Dragged her around for 6 years and sold it to another RV'er to enjoy and even got more than I paid for it and the tow equipment.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.