cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avoid Blue Ridge Truck Service LLC in Cana, VA

cricco
Explorer
Explorer
In July of 2018, my wife and I were on our way home from Florida in our motorhome on I-77 near the North Carolina/Virginia line, when our engine blew. We were towed to Blue Ridge Truck Service in Cana, VA. It was about 5 miles away from where we broke down. I asked how much the tow was, and was told $350. I then offered to pay it in cash. I was told by the driver that we could pay it with the repair bill, as we were discussing having Blue Ridge Truck Service replace the engine. I was quoted a price by Chuck Melton, the owner of Blue Ridge. He stated that it would be between $4k and $5k to replace the engine. We were devastated, but since we owed $40,000 on the motorhome, we had no choice but to have it repaired. We agreed on the repair, and I drove home in my towed pickup, planning to make the 850 mile drive back to pick up the motorhome when it was repaired.
It took about 2 weeks for us to locate a replacement engine, and have it sent to Blue Ridge. Meanwhile, I asked Chuck to remove the contents of the refrigerator, so that the food would not spoil. In fact, I told them to keep it for themselves.
After the engine was delivered, I stayed in contact via phone, periodically checking on the progress. I found it odd that whenever I would call, whoever would answer the phone at Blue Ridge would become very nervous sounding, and tell me, โ€œYouโ€™re gonna have to speak to Chuck. I donโ€™t know nothinโ€™ about it.โ€ Chuck would never return calls, but I was able to sometimes reach him on his cell phone. He assured me that my motorhome was in his shop, and being worked on. At one point, he called me to tell me that they were unable to reuse my intake manifold, because they โ€œcouldnโ€™t get it cleaned outโ€. He told me that the part would be another $1,800. I contacted Barnetteโ€™s Engine company, and was able to get a manifold WITH shipping, for $110. This put me into a real panic. I realized that something was very wrong, for his price to be $1,800 on a $80 part. After several weeks of getting the run around, and being told by Chuck that my vehicle wouldnโ€™t be ready because of (insert multiple reasons) 3 months had now passed, and it was October. I told him that I was coming down on the following Sunday, and I would see him on Monday. He began screaming at me, and telling me that it wasnโ€™t ready, and would take until Tuesday. I stated that I would get a hotel and wait a day for it. I then asked what my total bill was, so that I could show up with enough to pay for the work. Chuck told me that they had โ€œgone over the original estimateโ€, and that I would owe $6,200.
That Monday, I arrived at Blue Ridge Truck Service, with a friend, at about 9:00 AM. There was one employee there, and my motorhome was nowhere to be found. I asked the employee where my motorhome was. He stated โ€œI donโ€™t know nothinโ€™. You gotta talk to Chuck.โ€ I then asked him how long he had worked there. He replied โ€œI donโ€™t know. You gotta ask Chuck.โ€ He then called Chuck from his cell phone, and stayed a distance away, clearly so that I could not hear the conversation.
I then called Chuck Melton, and asked where my motorhome was. He became quite angry, and told me that it was โ€œat one of their other locationsโ€, and wasnโ€™t ready yet. I asked if I could retrieve my fishing gear from it, since it wasnโ€™t yet ready. He began to rant about not being able to show it to me......it was too far away.....insurance wouldnโ€™t allow anyone on the property....etc. It was obvious that he was hiding something. I donโ€™t believe that Blue Ridge even worked on it. My guess is that he had someone else do the work.
I then told Chuck that I would be back the next day to pick up the motorhome. Chuck agreed to have it there โ€œat lunchtimeโ€.
The following day (Tuesday), I arrived at 11:00 AM. My motorhome was there. Chucks girlfriend or wife was inside, frantically scrubbing the refrigerator out (which I was charged for). Although the motorhome was still full of fruit flies and maggots in the refrigerator, and stunk horribly. I also noticed automotive grease smeared all over the carpeting and seats. It was filthy, inside and out. At this point, I simply wanted to end this nightmare, and get home. Chuck obviously knew that he was about to take advantage of me, as the building, which had only one employee the previous day, now had about 8 guys hanging around. Most likely, in case I decided to disagree with what was to come. At this point, Chuck handed me an invoice for $8992.37. I was flabbergasted! I also noticed that my towing bill, which was $350, had now jumped to $750! I asked how the bill could jump some $4,000. Chuck stated simply that โ€œit took a lot longer than they had thoughtโ€, and that replacing the oil lines and cooler was expensive. Since I was told $6,200 on the phone, I only brought a debit card with $7,000 in the account. I asked Chuck if I could pay $7,000 now, and send a check for the balance when I got home. Chuck suddenly became Joe Pesci, with a โ€œPay me now, or Leave your motorhome hereโ€ attitude. I was forced to borrow an additional $2,000 from the friend who came with me. I was also charged a $219.33 Credit Card Surcharge, which is illegal in Virginia. Note, this was not a โ€œconvenience feeโ€, but labeled as Credit card service charge.
After settling up, we headed back home. About 160 miles down the road, the exhaust system blew apart. I crawled under the motorhome, and discovered that they had never even bolted the exhaust pipes to the header pipes. The exhaust hangers were the only thing holding the exhaust together. I found also that one exhaust gasket was missing, and the other was obviously old and crumbled. Odd, since I was charged for exhaust gaskets. My front passenger side wheel hub was also leaking terribly, and the front windows had been left open in the rain, as there was mold, rust and even MOSS growing in the inside window Channell! Upon further inspection, I also noticed many other bogus charges. I was charged $59.95 for a โ€œtiming cover setโ€, when mine were reused from my old engine. Another $95.99 for coolant, in a V8 engine! $90.00 for โ€œcleaner and flushโ€ on a NEW engine! And the list goes on.
When I got home, I emailed Chuck about all of these issues. He literally took NO responsibility for ANY of it! Also of note, there was another motorhome on the lot, which the owners had removed their belongings from. Chuck stayed to me that they โ€œcouldnโ€™t afford to fix itโ€. Itโ€™s my belief that This scoundrel figures that I would walk away from my $50,000 motorhome due to the cost of the repair. He could then resell it, and make a bundle.
I would NEVER recommend using Blue Ridge Truck Service.
In addition, since I posted an honest review, including photos, on their Facebook page, they have emailed AND called me, making threats. See link to call
https://youtu.be/N12nxIxsm4w
26 REPLIES 26

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
warranty does but only 18 months or 100,00 mile on any over 1 ton
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
This is the second time I have read of an RV blowing a Jasper engine and the RV owner did not realize the warranty didn't cover an RV use.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about your bad experience. That is plain highway robbery.

I've had some experiences with my 8.1 years ago, all of them bad. From the factory, it is poorly made. When I had to replace mine, I was told to stay away from Jasper. I got a factory reman and after one more trip sold it. No wonder they stopped making them. No more Chebbys for me.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
cricco wrote:
timmac wrote:
Cricco can you tell us what chassis your motorhome is and how many miles, have you serviced it often, towing heavy, what do you suppose cause the problem..

Itโ€™s a 2006 Monaco Monarch on a Workhorse W24 Chassis. The engine was a Jasper replacement engine, that was supposed to be warrantied for 3 years or 100,000 miles. It lasted 2 years, and 7,800 miles before the connecting rod snapped. Jasper refuses to honor the warranty, citing some โ€œfine printโ€ about motorhomes. It was ALWAYS maintained, and had 4 total oil/filter changes in those 7,800 miles. As for what caused it, I would say poor workmanship.

Your now 2 motors into this motorhome, wow time to unload..

Why? Do you think the chassis is possessed, or has bad luck? The 8.1 is a big engine and spinning it 5,600 rpm puts a lot of stress on the rotating assembly. If it is not inspected completely and rebalanced correctly, it will come apart.
Wildmanbaker

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
cricco wrote:
timmac wrote:
Cricco can you tell us what chassis your motorhome is and how many miles, have you serviced it often, towing heavy, what do you suppose cause the problem..

Itโ€™s a 2006 Monaco Monarch on a Workhorse W24 Chassis. The engine was a Jasper replacement engine, that was supposed to be warrantied for 3 years or 100,000 miles. It lasted 2 years, and 7,800 miles before the connecting rod snapped. Jasper refuses to honor the warranty, citing some โ€œfine printโ€ about motorhomes. It was ALWAYS maintained, and had 4 total oil/filter changes in those 7,800 miles. As for what caused it, I would say poor workmanship.

Your now 2 motors into this motorhome, wow time to unload..

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
1. Always get WRITTEN Estimate
2. Always use Credit Card (protection/recourse)

cricco
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
just for peace of mind, if the rv was mine it would be in my local shop being checked over.

It hasnโ€™t moved since I got home, but thatโ€™s on my list.

cricco
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry that crook took advantage of you. At least you do not live close by, as that could be a problem. I would not put it past him to be violent, aggressive, or subversive.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just for peace of mind, if the rv was mine it would be in my local shop being checked over.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
no excuse for what happened to you as a owner its all about how you handle cases like yours he did a lousy job communicating with you I suspect the job was to big and he could not handle it correctly which is not your fault

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a written estimate, many States do not allow the shop owner to charge you more than x% over that estimate (10% was my last experience). If you don't have anything in writing you could have a tough time with legal action.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Put a review on google too.