Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,720 REPLIES 3,720

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chrisbo - I was told by the dealer that the models 210, 211, 212, 213 and 214 without the slide would allow the dinette and jackknife couch to touch. Since I have the slide version, they do not touch even when the slide is in. It does create a minor problem as each location is approximately 39" wide - not wide enough for two. However, we would not want to be without our slide - makes a big difference on walking around space when camped.

On gas mileage, I think there are too many variables to claim Ford or Chevy get better mileage. Both seem capable of getting between 10 and 14 depending on driving style (speed and idling), towing, wind, loaded weight etc.

We like the rear entry door as the unit does not rock when someone enters or exits. Easier to get into the unit from a standard parking space at the grocery store. I pull a motorcycle trailer and it is easier to see if it is following correctly. I am also able to back it into parking spots for unloading easier with the rear door visibility. These are very minor issues.

lone-ranger - I believe Gary Swanson wins on the numerous significant changes he made. See his posting of 09/23/03 on this website: http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=xmjvgr.a2slbkd3&x=0&y=-oz7qgi

Gene
2002 Trail-Lite 211S w/5.7 Chevy
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

wragans
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisbo, The rubber roof is a one piece membrane. When we went through the factory, in Warsaw, IN, They told us to clean the roof with liquid Ivory soap and warm water, once a year, after allowing the roof to dry, remove the caulking and re-caulk with rubber roof calk. This is a special caulk for RV ruber roofs, USE ONLY THIS SPECIAL CAULK.
The job is not complacated and the old caulk is easy to remove. The first time (when the unit was two years old) I saw a few spots that were starting to seperate from the ruber roof, and could have caused a leak.
We have had our 211 in Alaska twice, Florida three times and all of the western and midwestern states. With 45000 and not so much as a spark plug replaced we are very happy with our B+.
Willie

lone-ranger
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be a lot of trail-lites out there and I'm wondering what changes you have made to your unit to make it more liveable? I have so far : changed the way the shower curtain was mounted, installed some drawers in the cabnets, blocked out the back window,removed the dinette and installed two comfortable chairs and have started to use the areas under the bed for storage. I have had no trouble with the unit and I would buy another one.
Keith C.
EMCM (SS), Retired
2002 Trail-lite 251

Chrisbo
Explorer
Explorer
So much good info from owners, thanks all. It's good that everyone is honest about the pros and cons on the Trail Lite. Surprisingly less problems than the more expensive lines. There are always cons, haven't found one yet that is perfect. It seems like more have the Chev Chassis than the Ford. If we can't find a good diesel in a Class C, we really would prefer the Chevy, from the sounds of it, gets better MPG than the Ford, TRUE? Noticed a difference in the size of the gas tank. I have the 2004 booklet, so the model line starts with 213 and the 214 have the back door. Any benefits to either side or back door? Do the dinnett and couch go into one bed? We really wanted a permanent bed, but looks like if we want to go small, we will have to compromise. Thanks again for any input. We've been leaked on in our camper and our Class A, don't understand why they can't make it waterproof.

Reno3
Explorer
Explorer
Quite interested that there's such a long list of posts re The Trail LIte. We just bought one in May as a 2nd MH for short trips and weekends. We like to camp in the Adirondacks and most DEC campgrounds are too small to get the Endeavor into, so we've been looking for a smaller unit. This is an '03, 22' with the rear door and a manual slideout. It's on a '02 Chevy chasis one ton. Only problems we've had so far is both kitchen and bathroom faucets leaked but both have been replaced so hopefully every thing is now ok. We bought it used with less than 5000 miles on it. It looked new, wonder if first owners ever used it. So far its been avg between 11 and 12 mpg (depending on whether we towed the car or not. We've been having so much fun with it that the Endeavor has sat in our yard all summer. We're going to Maine to a rally in Sept and are seriously thinking about taking the B+ rather than the Endeavor. It drives like a car and the ride is quite decent also. Hope to enjoy it for many years.
Dick & Judy
'05 Montana Mountaneer TT 35'
'03 Trail Lite 211 S
'05 Saturn Vue Toad
1 Bassett Hound - Beauregard

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chrisbo - As "backwoodsman" pointed out the 211 is an older floor plan that has a rear door. The older 210, 212 and now the 214 have the rear entry door on the shorter units (I believe). No problems with the rubber roof so far. An older Coachman, I had, with a metal seamed roof always needed a little tar patching.

TonyTiger - Since you have a different model than mine, I can only guess what you may have under that seat. In my unit, I have the fresh water tank under the rearward facing dinette seat. My dinette is also behind the passenger seat like yours. One of the things that we had the dealer fix before we drove off his lot was the window by the dinette. We were fortunate that it was raining rather hard while we were sitting in the unit outside his dealership. We noticed a slight trickle of water running down the wall under the window. They completely removed the window, recaulked the opening and re-installed. Have not had a drop of water since. As others have mentioned, other things can cause water leaks besides rain - loose water connections. Does yours only leak when it rains? Hope you find the cause.

Gene
2002 Trail-Lite 211S w/5.7 Chevy
Gene

Chrisbo
Explorer
Explorer
So confused on the rubber roof issue. Hubby isn't good at maintenance, is it something we have to take REALLY good care of? With the 110 degree weather in Vegas and in the eliments, it doesn't sound like it would do well here. Any thoughts?

backwoodsman
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisbo, I think the 211 was a 2003 model. It did not come with a slide. In 2004 the 235S was a slide model with side door. The 236S has a rear door.
There have been many improvments on the 2004 & 2005 models.
We have a 2004 236S and are very pleased with it.
The rubber roof is definately the way to go. Have owned two motorhomes prior to the 236S with rubber roofs with no problems.
If you should cut or tear it an EPDM patch kit is inexpensive and very easy to use.
backwoodsman

Chrisbo
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering the Trail Lite B+, too. I couldn't find the 211 model, is that new for 2005? Does it have the back door? I saw that they have the rubber roof. Is there any maintenance problems with them? I always see the 'black streak' problem when people are talking about them. Any options that you have or should have gotten? We have a local deal, so warranty shouldn't be a problem. Do you have the slide? What is the worse mileage you get?

WAGM
Explorer
Explorer
Hey TonyTiger, We had the same problem in the same location, the water heater is about 18 inches back of that booth storage,which has the airconditioner evaporator in it and the top connection on the heater was leaking (looked to be for a long time). Hope you find your problem soon.

See yall in the funnies, Warren
Warren and Gwen SKP 1605
1985 Transtar

THE CHUCK WAGON

on Chev G30 van, 350 w/4.10 drw 23 feet long

IF YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, THEN I AM FAST, CHEAP, AND EASY.

AJRV
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked all water lines? Just a thought. We had one leak that traveled down and around. It was a water line.

TonyTiger
Explorer
Explorer
Folks-
My 235S has still had a leak somewhere on the curb side. It shows up as a damp carpet in the forward storage box under the rear facing dinette section.
So far I have:
caulked the storage door outside
caulked the roof seam
caulked the window next to the dinette
caulked the awning connection to the body
caulked the TV aerial entrance 9caulked too much it stopped turning and had to cut a new groove for the antenna to rotate)

the wetness is pretty bad and on really bad days extends to the carpet between the seats.
Any ideas?
Trail Lite 235S Gone; Four Winds Siesta
Pennsylvania
Me, the wife and the boys (2 Border Collies)

ARcruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Class B Buddy, I have looked at all 6 of your posts over the last 9 months and you seem to always ask the same generalized question.

After reading all 67 pages of this thread, as I am sure you did, what specific questions do you have?
2 Big Cruisers, The Little Man, and Bailey / ARcruiser's Class B's (the first ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Rig #8 Under Construction! / Here's the Project Thread - I'm actually working on it again!

Class_B_Buddy
Explorer
Explorer
Please give me any info on trail lite b+, Thanks treehouse68@yahoo.com
New, Looking for right Rv for two.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
backwoodsman - Did go to the website you mentioned and found a couple new forum names of Trail-Lite B+ owners. I had some time to waste the other day and assembled a list of 38 different contributors to this forum and the one mentioned by you.

Have not heard from several for quite some time. Guess that means "no complaints or questions" that have not already been discussed. Or...the owners have gotten tired, or everyone is out enjoying their unit.

I like to think that we are all out enjoying. We certainly have enjoyed ours the last 8,000 miles.

Gene
Trail-Lite 211S w/5.7 Chevy
Gene