cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back fire and power loss

Drockw
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 1987 class a has Chevy 7.4 big block I have replace the plugs rotor rebuilt the carburetor put in a new fuel pump change the fuel filter runs once it gets warm and loses power and backfires won't go over 35 mph once it w
arms up
20 REPLIES 20

campingking
Explorer
Explorer
ignition coil under rotor inside distributor.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Fishbreath wrote:
How many miles and do you know the maintenance history?
I do agree that getting it on an scope will help to determine the problems. The 454 with high mileage (over 100k) had some issues with the timing chain jumping a tooth.
Its not just the 454, its all SB/BB chevys, fords, and Mopars. Its the funky timing chains that strength and wear the gears. We use to recommend changing the timing sets at about 75K to prevent failure and bending valves/pushrods.
Wildmanbaker

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many miles and do you know the maintenance history?
I do agree that getting it on an scope will help to determine the problems. The 454 with high mileage (over 100k) had some issues with the timing chain jumping a tooth.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
if the engine has a vacuum advance on the dist. disconnect the hose and drive it .it may seem a little lazy but if it doesn't backfire anymore its the pick-up coil in the dist.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would start by removing the doghouse cover and starting the engine at night, do you see any arcing from the wires to the engine block? The next thing I would do is check to see if that vintage engine has a plastic timing gear, then check the timing. Base timing is 4*BTDC it will run better between 9-12* BTDC. Let us no what you find and you will get get better help rather than a bunch of possible solutions.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing with a 1983 Winnie 7.4 that I used to have (sold in 2001) and I can't remember what the problem was. ???
But I do remember it was associated with the distributor.
Could have been with the advance or ignition trigger or trigger wiring.
Should still be HEI distributor, BEST non-computer ignition system ever made!

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
If it was a point and condenser setup I'd say definitely the condenser but I think that was way past gone in 87. I then would put a timing light to the distributor and check to see if the vacuum advance and /or the mechanical advance is working. It's a very common problem with the older distributors to have a gummed up mechanical advance.

Bruce_Brown
Plugged converter?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Drockw
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it does have egr and it works fine

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Suspect a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake. If it runs fine when somewhat cold and falters when warmed up, its usually a fuel supply issue. (or too much air) Does this engine have EGR?

Chum lee

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
For 1987 I assume that you may have a carburetor. Sometimes a backfire will ruin the power valve diaphram. Not a real expensive part and not too difficult to change.

Drockw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks will dig deeper

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hook it up to a diagnostic machine for the correct answer. Too many things that could cause a backfire. And, we don't know if it's backfiring through the carb or exhaust. Those engines were notorious for cracked exhaust manifolds so check that. Backfires are caused by raw fuel getting into the exhaust system before igniting. So, suspect the timing off, plug wires, wrong carb settings, timing off, cracked rotor cap, etc. etc. etc....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
backfire thru carb or exhaust. If exhaust then the spark stuff.