cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries removed. Can external power be applied?

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
My wife noticed a strong odor she described as sewage smell yesterday near the motorhome.

I probed around and found the middle of three batteries very hot and four cells dry. I unhooked them all and removed them.

They were serviced about three weeks ago and a little water was added to each, no huge amount to any one battery.

Batteries were purchased 2/2012 and are Interstate Group 29 batteries.

Converter/inverter/charger is Dimension 2000 watt.

Rig is a 2005 Itasca Meridian 36G that I bought new in '05.

My thinking is I have one battery that has gone south due to internal failure and it is not a bad charger.

The batteries are still on prorated warranty and will probably replace all three especially if testing shows any weakness of the other two.

My question is twofold.

1. Can I tape the leads and put external power on? Our house has sold and we need power so we can pack it up.

2. Do you electronics wizards agree with my thoughts that the battery is bad and not he charger? I'm no wizard but think more than one battery would go belly up if the charger was bad.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
MRUSA wrote:
I would not run the power without batteries attached. The batteries act as a "shock absorber" for the electrical system. Without them, any power spikes will be accentuated and may damage something else.
Newer converters don't require a battery.

True. My manual even says to use the battery disconnect switch when connected to shore power for an extended period of time.

I don't do that but do check the electrolyte level in the batteries each month.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
I would not run the power without batteries attached. The batteries act as a "shock absorber" for the electrical system. Without them, any power spikes will be accentuated and may damage something else.
Newer converters don't require a battery.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I would just use / connect one of the three 12 v batteries until You get around to replacing them all!
You should be able to tell which one of the three is working properly with a simple hydrometer test.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Doug,

So the batteries were connected to a buss bar with equal length cables?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

Yes, they were hooked up just like they came from Winnie. I took pictures years ago and check them every time.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

With a modern converter you can use it without a battery--but don't try to power things such as slides.

Were the three batteries wired in a balanced manner?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

1711tab
Explorer
Explorer
Doug and Cassi Glass wrote:
My wife noticed a strong odor she described as sewage smell yesterday near the motorhome.

I probed around and found the middle of three batteries very hot and four cells dry. I unhooked them all and removed them.

They were serviced about three weeks ago and a little water was added to each, no huge amount to any one battery.

Batteries were purchased 2/2012 and are Interstate Group 29 batteries.

Converter/inverter/charger is Dimension 2000 watt.

Rig is a 2005 Itasca Meridian 36G that I bought new in '05.

My thinking is I have one battery that has gone south due to internal failure and it is not a bad charger.

The batteries are still on prorated warranty and will probably replace all three especially if testing shows any weakness of the other two.

My question is twofold.

1. Can I tape the leads and put external power on? Our house has sold and we need power so we can pack it up.

2. Do you electronics wizards agree with my thoughts that the battery is bad and not he charger? I'm no wizard but think more than one battery would go belly up if the charger was bad.

Thanks in advance.

You can use shore power without the battreies...

I believe the bad battery is the problem (dead short or dead cells) not the charger...

Tim