cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black wire attached to hot water element burnt out

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a 1996 Monaco Dynasty that has a Suburban hot water heater. While on my last outing I was plugged into 30 amp shore power. I used my hot water for a few days on electric and then it stopped working. At my house I found that the black wire attached to the element had burned out whereby there was a burn mark on the insulation that covered the element. Question is where does this black wire go to from the element? Why might it have burned out the way it did? How can I get to the end of the black wire to change it? Also, why did the breaker not trip when the black wire fried? Thank you in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Black wire most likely burnt off, hit some portion that is ground and tripped the breaker. Breakers will trip for a true short which is hot lead to neutral, a ground where the hot lead contacts ground or an overload in which more amperage goes through the breaker then it's rating.

never tripped the breaker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Black wire most likely burnt off, hit some portion that is ground and tripped the breaker. Breakers will trip for a true short which is hot lead to neutral, a ground where the hot lead contacts ground or an overload in which more amperage goes through the breaker then it's rating.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Above the element is a black plastic cover with 2 rubber grommets. remove the cover. to your left is the 120 tstat/ECO. the black wire goes from that tstat down to the element. The other black wire goes to the ON/OFF switch to the left of the element. Snake the new wire down using the other wire to feed it. The wire Burnt. THAT will not cause a short which would trip a breaker. Doug

Bottom black wire coming off normal temp t-stat.....to electric element

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A loose connection like that is not going to pop a breaker because the current is not increasing. It burns because the current carrying ability of that connection is compromised.

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Doug. Always like reading your post answers. Will try your suggestions as I don't have enough wire to reconnect and need to put a new wire on. Thank you to you all.

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
ricelake922 wrote:
Hello. I have a 1996 Monaco Dynasty that has a Suburban hot water heater. While on my last outing I was plugged into 30 amp shore power. I used my hot water for a few days on electric and then it stopped working. At my house I found that the black wire attached to the element had burned out whereby there was a burn mark on the insulation that covered the element. Question is where does this black wire go to from the element? Why might it have burned out the way it did? How can I get to the end of the black wire to change it? Also, why did the breaker not trip when the black wire fried? Thank you in advance.

The black wire is the hot wire;; It comes from the thermostat;;
just change the end if u have enough wire;; why it burned off?/ maybe it was a bad connection at the element or a bad element causing
high resistance and over heating the wire
the breaker not tripping? most likely the element failed or wire burned off before it got enough resistance to pop the breaker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Above the element is a black plastic cover with 2 rubber grommets. remove the cover. to your left is the 120 tstat/ECO. the black wire goes from that tstat down to the element. The other black wire goes to the ON/OFF switch to the left of the element. Snake the new wire down using the other wire to feed it. The wire Burnt. THAT will not cause a short which would trip a breaker. Doug

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
htowners wrote:
Most likely a low voltage situation occurred which caused a spike in amperage draw. This is a guess, otherwise a lose connection causing a similar situation. Wire is rated for amperage and too high causes resistance which converts to heat.
It's hard to guess on where the wire originates, it'll just be a matter of getting behind the water heater and tracing it.
Good luck, hopefully other Monaco owners might have a better idea of tracing the wire.

I think your on the right track but low voltage will not cause an increase in current for a heating element. Lower voltage through a resistive load results in less current.
Chances are, the connection just became loose and was not able to carry the current load anymore.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There should be screw terminals on the element. I am betting the screw came out and is gone. May need to replace the element.

element

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

htowners
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely a low voltage situation occurred which caused a spike in amperage draw. This is a guess, otherwise a lose connection causing a similar situation. Wire is rated for amperage and too high causes resistance which converts to heat.
It's hard to guess on where the wire originates, it'll just be a matter of getting behind the water heater and tracing it.
Good luck, hopefully other Monaco owners might have a better idea of tracing the wire.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 38TGB
2005 Saturn Vue
Stella and Luna, our 2 shelter rescues