cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blowout on Toad

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
Last Tuesday, I took my MH to Freightliner (Sacramento Truck Center) for routine service. All good, very clean place, they seem to care. They are now full-service except paint/tires for MH. In fact, they are expanding their facility and getting their own building. Now, I say this only because I am happy with my service.
I tow my '11 Ranger so we can run around while the RV is being serviced. On the way home, approaching Dixon, a good samaratan motioned me over, pointing out something wrong in the rear. My mirrors and tv monitor was clear and I didn't detect anything wrong, but I pulled over to check. Found that my left rear tire on the TOAD was blown and shredded. Had I not stopped when I did, I would have been on the rim! Thank you good samaratan! Wish there were more of you out there. Called AAA and tire changed OK.
My issue is that I have TPMS on all 4 TOAD tires. When I got into the cab of the toad, I saw the warning was working correctly. However, driving the MH down the road, I had no idea anything was wrong.

My question is this: Anyone know of a way to pipe the TPMS into the MH? This is the second time I blew a tire on my TOAD and didn't know till someone waved my over. Any help appreciated.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

10 REPLIES 10

KatMike1
Explorer
Explorer
Check this out.
https://tsttruck.com/pages/referral-program

Go to the link above. Everyone can be a winner.

Very Cool.

Thanks!

Mike

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
I purchased the RVI3 brake system for our toad which you can purchase the optional TPMS that is integrated. You can purchase the 6 sensors for just the motor home or 10 sensors to include your tow vehicle.

Burch

Ditto on this system. Works great. I think they have a new system that sends monitoring data to your cellphone.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Have seen that happen 3 times. ONce to me but I knew it immed and stopped and put the spare on (There was a handy pull off like 100 feet away when it blew)

The othe two were not so lucky/skillful take your pick

What skill helped me.. Pressure Pro Tire Pressure Monitors. most any system would have worked but I had PP's The system I have lets me monitor the RV's tires AND teh Towed's.. or just the RV or Just the Towed, at the push of a button on the monitor.. Thus the monitor (Receiver) mounts on velcro and can be taken out of the RV and put in teh towed in "Towed only" mode for run around.

Very nice sytem. has saved me much mroe than I paid for it.

I have the same system and use it the same way-- in RV when towing and in toad when driving it by itself.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have seen that happen 3 times. ONce to me but I knew it immed and stopped and put the spare on (There was a handy pull off like 100 feet away when it blew)

The othe two were not so lucky/skillful take your pick

What skill helped me.. Pressure Pro Tire Pressure Monitors. most any system would have worked but I had PP's The system I have lets me monitor the RV's tires AND teh Towed's.. or just the RV or Just the Towed, at the push of a button on the monitor.. Thus the monitor (Receiver) mounts on velcro and can be taken out of the RV and put in teh towed in "Towed only" mode for run around.

Very nice sytem. has saved me much mroe than I paid for it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If you are asking if there is a way to read your built in TPMS in the toad in the motorhome-- NO. At least I have never heard of one.

Most of us just add an external TPMS for both motorhome and toad that DOES read in the motorhome.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
X2

jplante4 wrote:
Yeah, I just added 4 for the toad. Doesn't interfere with the built in TPMS.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are referring to using the Ford wheel sensors with something at the driver's location in the coach, sorry but not possible. The Ford sensors will only interface with a Ford monitor built into Ford vehicles and they don't sell a stand alone system. You'll need to add a second set of sensors to the Ranger that are compatible to what you are using to monitor the coach tires. You are monitoring the coach tires, right?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have 10 sensors for our TST TPMS, 6 for the coach, and 4 for the toad. The toad's factory system cannon be fed to the coach. As said, the aftermarket sensors will not interfere with the factory system, nor will the factory system interfere with the aftermarket system.

It would be nice if there was a universal monitor for factory TPMS, but each manufacturer uses their own proprietary setup, and there are even differences among models, so a universal receiver is unlikely to be developed or be cost effective. On top of that, not all factory systems are radio based to begin with.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I just added 4 for the toad. Doesn't interfere with the built in TPMS.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I purchased the RVI3 brake system for our toad which you can purchase the optional TPMS that is integrated. You can purchase the 6 sensors for just the motor home or 10 sensors to include your tow vehicle.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)