cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blowouts on front passenger side tire

Texan_wannabe
Explorer
Explorer
We have just had our second blowout on the front passenger side tire on our Class A Beaver Marquis 2005. In weighing the coach, we are pretty heavy for the weight of the tires the manufacturer put on, 295's, which we have now replaced twice. We are 42'11" long and have a tag axle. It appears in talking to the owner of this premier service facility in Florida that we might be safer with 315's which can bear more weight. A service writer has recommended Tyron bands for increased safety as they can apparently get you up to 20 miles as a running flat after a blowout.

This has me very concerned about our safety as we were lucky to be able to pull off without injury to ourselves, but it is the second time it happened, and with cars whizzing by on the left, we were worried we would be hit. good Sam Platinum Roadside Service told us they cannot send a tech under those conditions as it is not safe, and it was a nightmare while the police got us a tow truck that cost us over $1000 our of pocket and took a long time. Seriously were worried we would be run into despite our breakdown markers as people ran over them!

I am hearing that this can be a common issue even when tires are under five years old, as ours were. And we do have a tire monitor that gave us no warning in either blowout.

We are now a little afraid of our motorhome's safety, and have a lot of damage to hydraulics, slide, aqua hot and so on. Anyone else have this issue?
42 REPLIES 42

steveownby
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
By putting 315.s on the front I was able to reduce my psi from 115 to 100. On the rear you do not need 295.s so I went with the less expensive 11R22.5 and I had to increase my pressure from 85 to 95 because of the lower load carrying of the 11R. Do not worry about putting a 315 on a 8.25" rim as it only reduces it's load carrying by a small amount.

The derate for 8.25" wheels is greater than the difference in 295s and 315s. I put 315s on my coach to gain a little headroom but I do use the modified inflation table in this guide.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/assets/pdf/RVTiresBrochure.pdf

At 14,000 pounds on the steer axle, the inflation pressure difference is just about 2.5 psi. If you have 9" wheels the spread goes up to 7.5-10 psi.
Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
By putting 315.s on the front I was able to reduce my psi from 115 to 100. On the rear you do not need 295.s so I went with the less expensive 11R22.5 and I had to increase my pressure from 85 to 95 because of the lower load carrying of the 11R. Do not worry about putting a 315 on a 8.25" rim as it only reduces it's load carrying by a small amount.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't checked my tire pressure since I had my tires put on last year. Do I fill them to the cold PSI? I have the Toyo's.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
You need to know just what the weight on that axle and that wheel is and DON'T EXCEED the tire maximum weight or pressure. If the weight is above the limit then it is running under inflated for the load, or dangerously over inflated.

If you are overloaded on that tire it is no surprise that you are blowing tires.

Also, what does your rig say about maximum front axle weight? Exceeding that can cause handling problems at the least. Maximum ratings are there for a reason. Would you fly in an overloaded aircraft?

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blowouts or tread separations?

If tread separations, cause is most likely overheating from underinflation or overloading, aggravated by driving on hot roads. A larger time can carry a heavier load, if maintained at maximum inflation, which might help.

Blowouts are usually tire body failures, rupture of the cords or separation of plies, and are the result of damage to the tire (curbside front and outer dual hit a lot of things over a few years) or manufacturing defects, but the latter failures are rare and usually happen early in tire life. The precaution for blowout protection is frequent professional inspection, as the sort of damage leading to catastrophic failure is often visually evident soon after the damaging event, to someone who knows what to look for.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
No follow up by Texan wannabe, so we will assume that those are the original tires on a very heavy coach. That just reinforces my posts that tires should be changed out at least every five years. The damage that is caused by blow outs is not worth the risk of running them past five years.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

st687
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
sdianel wrote:
We put on B F Goodrich ST230's Load Range H on our 2004 Country Coach Allure

:h

Surely you don't mean "ST's"- I think those those are trailer use only-?

ST230's are all position steel radial.
Doris &Bill
97 U270 Foretravel
08 Saturn Vue 3.6L
University of Parris Island March 1966
Semper Fi.:)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very seriously thinking about Coach Net when my GS ERS expires. I'm hearing more and more bad things about GS ERS.

rvis2005
Explorer
Explorer
What are the date codes on your tires? Thank you.
Tommy and Kristi Watters
Coppell, TX

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
Texan Wannabe,
Can't be a Texan if you leave everyone hanging with queries about your post! :B
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
For the tag owners on the forum please correct me if I'm wrong but if the tag is taking on too much weight won't it also add weight to the front axle because of the see-saw effect using the drive axle as a fulcrum?

Yes. When you do the weight thing at the scales, you can drive off the scales and reset the pressure on the tag axle to either increase or decrease the tag weight. If you increase the tag weight, you will add weight to the front (steer) axle and reduce weight on the drive axle. If you decrease the tag weight, you will increase the weight on the drive axle and reduce the weight on the steer axle. The tag allows you to find the best setting for both axle weights and for the best steering control of the bus. This is one of the reasons that tag axle coaches generally are much easier to drive without having the tail wag the dog and cause weaving as you go down the road. When the tag is set right and the alignment is correct, you can literally steer the coach with one finger on the bottom of the steering wheel. When I first bought my dynasty, I took it to Josams Alignment in Orlando and had them set the alignment and tag weight. It drives like it is on rails and passing semi's and crosswinds have very little to no affect on the steering. The tag also allows a significant increase in weight carrying capacity for those things you don't want to leave at home.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to get Good Sam to cover my 3 RV's before my next trip in a few weeks but now I think I'll keep my $170 for gas and food.

Mtn_Mike1
Explorer
Explorer
I think even before I found new tires I would "fire" Good Sam. I would recommend Coach Net who were very professional in their response when I had problems.
What good is emergency road service when they are afraid that the situation is too dangerous for them rather than you?

Mike
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor pushed by a 2013 Mazda Miata

hermosilloleos
Explorer
Explorer
We are very concern with Good sams road service.
We will also like to know why you were denied help.
I am hearing more and more bad news about Good Sams road service.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the tag owners on the forum please correct me if I'm wrong but if the tag is taking on too much weight won't it also add weight to the front axle because of the see-saw effect using the drive axle as a fulcrum?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53